search

Author Topic: SF Beer Week 2014  (Read 568 times)

Offline WalrusMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
SF Beer Week 2014
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
I've finally got some extra time that I can try to plan out some beer week events this year.  Already have been to the Ballast Point Tap Takeover at Original Gravity Public House and a Knee Deep Brewing event at Harry's Hofbrau, but planning to hit two more events.  Has anyone else been to any events and have plans?  Here are mine..

2/15 Stone Tap Takeover at Harry's Hofbrau - Looking forward to Grapefruit Ruination after the Grapefruit Sculpin I had.  And it's great it's right down the street.
2/16 IPA Day at Harry's Hofbrau - Again, right down the street, but also releases of Pliny the Younger and Hopocolypse Black Label, plus 26 other IPAs.  Can't wait for this, but expecting a long line, and to get there about 8:30 or 9 am for the 11 am opening.

Yesterday, I got to the Ballast Point event about 3pm, early for that day so it wasn't too crowded.  I got a Grapefruit Sculpin and my fiance got a Wahoo Wheat, as she's not too much of a beer drinker.  After sampling both beers, we both decided Grapefruit Sculpin was delicious.  The first IPA she's ever liked.  I'd have to put it up there as one of the best beers I've ever had, a 4.9/5 if not a complete 100%.  After that she got a couple of Grapefruit Sculpins.  Next I got was a Sculpin on Nitro, but I'd have to say I'd put regular Sculpin above it.  So got a couple more of the Grapefruits and a sausage to finish off the day there.

After a few beers at Original Gravity, we went over to Harry's Hofbrau and went to the Knee Deep Brewing "Tap Takeover."  Not to put down their beer, but out of the 25 or so taps Harry's has, there were about 6-8 Knee Deep beers there.  And again, that's fine, since I had a Simtra that was kegged less than a week ago, great fresh huge IPA.  After that I had a Citra just to slow down some, while the fiance had a Lost Coast Apricot Wheat before switching over to a couple of mixed drinks while the bartender looked up how to make the mixed drinks.  At least the manager comped us one of them, I guess we're too much of regulars.

Offline WalrusMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
Re: SF Beer Week 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:00:05 AM »
The stone event was great! We ended up being there about 6 hours or so. This was the list I had...

Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam
2012 Double Bastard aged in Red Wine Barrels
2013 Old Guardian Oak Smoked Barleywine
Double Dry Hopped IPA
Ruination IPA

Wasn't all too busy throughout the day, we started about 1:30 and there only started to get a line to order beer until 5 or 6 when we were just finishing on up.

No list yet for IPA Day but we're about to head over there to prepare for the line. This is the year for Younger.