search

Author Topic: Three Floyds  (Read 6456 times)

Offline WeeheavySD

• Trade Count: (6)
  • IPA
  • Beers Abound I Abide.
Three Floyds
« on: April 20, 2008, 05:22:56 PM »
Can anyone explain this:

Imperial or Double Red Ale, 22 entries
Gold: Behemoth, Three Floyds Brewing Co., Munster, IN

Behemoth won a gold for a category that I don't see it being in...
"I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits

"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
-Oscar Wilde

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: Three Floyds
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »
Breweries can enter beers in any category that they want to.  In many cases they will enter the same beer in many categories to increase the likelihood of winning a medal.  Doesn't make sense, but it's how it is. :shrug:

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »
Isn't Behemoth a Barleywine? And a damn fine one at that?
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »
Isn't Behemoth a Barleywine? And a damn fine one at that?

Yes, it is a barleywine.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 06:33:29 PM »
Breweries can enter beers in any category that they want to.  In many cases they will enter the same beer in many categories to increase the likelihood of winning a medal.  Doesn't make sense, but it's how it is. :shrug:

This is known as the "shotgun" approach.  In some cases, if a beer is kind of straddling two categories, I can see it, but some breweries just flood the categories and see what floats.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline nase

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 09:49:57 AM »

This is known as the "shotgun" approach.  In some cases, if a beer is kind of straddling two categories, I can see it, but some breweries just flood the categories and see what floats.

It's pretty ridiculous.

I saw that Nogne won the "Other Strong Ale or Lager" category for its Imperial Stout.  Not that I've actually had the beer but have always seen it listed as an imp stout.  What are these "Other" categories for anyway?  More categories = more free beers for the judges?
[urbanhack] 12:17 am: i worked golf coruse maintenance in high school and used to masterbate to the women's league in the woods

bakes 12:05 am: I want to be under the desk munching away and see if they can still deliver the news with a straight face

Offline WeeheavySD

• Trade Count: (6)
  • IPA
  • Beers Abound I Abide.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 09:40:31 PM »

It's pretty ridiculous.

I saw that Nogne won the "Other Strong Ale or Lager" category for its Imperial Stout.  Not that I've actually had the beer but have always seen it listed as an imp stout.  What are these "Other" categories for anyway?  More categories = more free beers for the judges?

Nogne Imperial Stout or Nogne Dark Horizon?  They are vastly different.
"I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits

"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
-Oscar Wilde

Offline nase

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:16:19 AM »

It's pretty ridiculous.

Nogne Imperial Stout or Nogne Dark Horizon?  They are vastly different.

Dark Horizon.
[urbanhack] 12:17 am: i worked golf coruse maintenance in high school and used to masterbate to the women's league in the woods

bakes 12:05 am: I want to be under the desk munching away and see if they can still deliver the news with a straight face

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 05:44:17 PM »
Munster flooded...... Three Floyd's ok?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 09:19:42 AM »
From another forum...

Three Floyds is working on two collaborations. Oatgoop with Mikkeller, Copenhagen, will be similar to Hvedegoop but with oats. The second is with Dogfish Head and is further in the future. They are installing a 30-head bottling line to increase production.

The person on that forum is here, but I'll let him take credit if he wants to.  Oh, and see Skye, someone else is doing an Oatmealwine.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »
Lottery for Dark Lord '09
Basically our DLD 2009 lottery system will break down as follows:

-Everyone interested in purchasing DarkLord by the bottle will have to first register here at our website

-We will capture your name and email address and place you into a randomized database

-Once we’ve determined our estimated level of production for bottled DarkLord, we will then calculate the total number of winning tickets that we will make available

-We will then select, completely at random, email addresses from our databases and send winning registrants a confirmation email informing them of their winning slot in the lottery

-We will then require all winners to confirm their mailing address and we will send out the winning tickets

-All those that fail to respond within the designated timeframe will be dropped from the winning list and new winners will be picked

-All those that have a winning “golden ticket” will be able to get in line, during their scheduled “tee time” as indicated on their ticket, and they will be able to purchase up to one case of DarkLord
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline NFLMVP

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »

-Everyone interested in purchasing DarkLord by the bottle will have to first register here at our website

-We will capture your name and email address and place you into a randomized database

-Once we’ve determined our estimated level of production for bottled DarkLord, we will then calculate the total number of winning tickets that we will make available

-We will then select, completely at random, email addresses from our databases and send winning registrants a confirmation email informing them of their winning slot in the lottery

-We will then require all winners to confirm their mailing address and we will send out the winning tickets

-All those that fail to respond within the designated timeframe will be dropped from the winning list and new winners will be picked

-All those that have a winning “golden ticket” will be able to get in line, during their scheduled “tee time” as indicated on their ticket, and they will be able to purchase up to one case of DarkLord

So you register and they confirm via email with a password.  What the hell is the password for? 
Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »

So you register and they confirm via email with a password.  What the hell is the password for? 
Now there is talk at BA that it might be some sort of email address gathering scam :unsure:
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 11:19:56 AM »

Now there is talk at BA that it might be some sort of email address gathering scam :unsure:

It comes right from Three Floyds.  I don't get where the conspiracy theory even begins.  What the hell would Three Floyds gain by this kind of thing?

I suppose you need to have SOMETHING once the "Three Floyd's is closing" joke runs its course.....

Offline Oxymoron

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »
I suppose I could see where this could be a problem. If I register with a bunch of email address that would give me a better chance on getting the magic ticket.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 05:25:39 PM by Oxymoron »

autumnaldave

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »
If I don't get a golden ticket... who cares.

I live close and it's a free beer festival. it'd be great if the lottery occured 2 weeks before dld... that'd be awesome...!!
and we all know about my large stealth ability.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »
Title: Ham on Rye Tapping
Description: This beer, created in honor of Henry Chinaski, was a collaboration between Three Floyds and Jonathan Cutler of Piece Brewery. Its delicate, spicy, smoked character is derived from a portion of smoked and rye malts.

In addition to the tapping, we will have special menu items prepared using the beer as an ingredient. This beer will be a Pub only release. If you were looking for an excuse to head to Munster, here you go. 0.5l steins will sell for $6.00 while supplies last.
Start Time: 02:00
Date: 2009-12-01

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 11:33:52 PM »
Title: Ham on Rye Tapping

Awersome! This was great last year, got to try it at a beer dinner at Local Option. Super smoky, bacon-y Rauchbier :thumbup: but more like a smoked Helles in the body.

edit: 2pm on a Tuesday? great time for a tapping event <_<
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:36:12 PM by emerge »

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 03:49:19 PM »
Lugunitas just tweeted: JusSold 5-60 to 120bbl fermenters & r old KeggingLine to 3Floyds-Solid guys. Means I gitto go to IN in Feb after MN in Jan.Fire up the MoHo!

Sounds like FFF will be kicking up production.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »
"Dark Lord Day 2010 will take place on Saturday April 24th. More details to follow."

http://www.darklordday.com/uncategorized/dark-lord-day-2010/

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 08:20:17 AM »
"Dark Lord Day 2010 will take place on Saturday April 24th. More details to follow."

No kidding? Last Saturday in April?? Who'd of thunk it???  ;)  ;D
“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »

Yep.  Comfirms that I'm out for the 2nd year in a row.   :thumbdown:  Wife already has plans that weekend, so I have the baby.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 08:43:57 AM »

No kidding? Last Saturday in April?? Who'd of thunk it???  ;)  ;D

I was going to say "I'm sure it's news to no one".

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 09:53:37 AM »
Same day as Indulge here in Minneapolis.  Not sure I'll make it down.  We shall see.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Homerbag

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
    • Some of the best Bengal Cats in the world
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:53 AM »
At least they are consistant. There are people, like me, who need to plan all thier vacation before the first of the year.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 11:13:19 PM »
At least they are consistant. There are people, like me, who need to plan all thier vacation before the first of the year.

And lucky for you, they have the party the same weekend every year!

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 11:07:44 AM »

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 06:18:59 AM »
Anyone know WTF ever happened to the bottles of Admiral Lord Nelson??  Never caught as much as a whiff around town for those, was it brewpub only?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 07:58:29 AM »
Anyone know WTF ever happened to the bottles of Admiral Lord Nelson??  Never caught as much as a whiff around town for those, was it brewpub only?

I was wondering the same thing :shrug:

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 10:45:28 AM »
for those on FB if you have not got the info for DLD here's the link

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=240309912950&ref=nf
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 12:18:14 PM »
3floyds    Boru is getting Boru-ed today

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 02:50:29 PM »
3floyds

Topless Wytch Baltic Porter on tap in the pub right now.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »
So does anyone know what this means?

http://www.3floyds.com/2010/02/09/hint/

That looks like Chinatown here in Chicago.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2010, 10:07:27 PM »

I think it has to do with the just announced Half Acre collabortation since HA's logo is a water tower.

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »

I think it has to do with the just announced Half Acre collabortation since HA's logo is a water tower.

Good call, and really sweet fucking picture

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2010, 10:35:56 PM »

Wat's Chinese about a Helles Bock ???

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »

This whole idea is chinky  <_<

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »

This whole idea is chinky  <_<

HINKY. You stupid Honky. :unsure:
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2010, 10:54:19 PM »

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 07:55:27 AM »

:lol: :lol:
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline rudylaw

• Quadrupel
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »
@3floyds: Dark Lord Golden Tickets will be announced on twitter this year #darklordday

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »
@3floyds: Dark Lord Golden Tickets will be announced on twitter this year #darklordday

Last year they weren't even necessary to buy as much DL as you wanted, you just had to wait til closer to the end of the afternoon (which meant no line standing either :pickle: ).  Doubt I'll shell out the wasted money this year on these tickets.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 07:28:55 PM »

Last year they weren't even necessary to buy as much DL as you wanted, you just had to wait til closer to the end of the afternoon (which meant no line standing either :pickle: ).  Doubt I'll shell out the wasted money this year on these tickets.

Knowing the year to year increase on this one, it might actually sell out for real this time.

On another note, does anyone know what's on tap at the brewpub now?

Offline LittleG

• IPA
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »

Great, now I have to learn to tweet or become a twit or tweeter or whatever.

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »

Knowing the year to year increase on this one, it might actually sell out for real this time.

On another note, does anyone know what's on tap at the brewpub now?

That's what everyone said last time too  :shrug:  Aren't they supposed to be upping the production again to?  I dunno, I'm just not keen on standing in line and being allowed the priveledge of paying an extra 2.50 per beer (more if you don't buy all 6) at the same time...and yes I know some of it went to charity, which is fine and good, but it just doesn't seem worth it IMO  

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »

I don't tweet.  I just go their twitter page and drop the RSS feed into Outlook.  I get updates in real time at work, very handy, especially when your store tweets that they got Batch 9000 in at 10 am.  Sorry boss, I swear it was an emergency :bag:

Offline LittleG

• IPA
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 08:52:39 PM »

I don't tweet.  I just go their twitter page and drop the RSS feed into Outlook.  I get updates in real time at work, very handy, especially when your store tweets that they got Batch 9000 in at 10 am.  Sorry boss, I swear it was an emergency :bag:

:THIS:  :thumbup:

Offline dukedevil0

• Pale Ale
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2010, 10:28:15 PM »
so word on the street is no Behemoth in Chicago this year....why the heck not?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »

Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »

:lol: