Beer Discussion > Cellaring

Temperature changes

(1/5) > >>

sunscar22:
I bought a couple of beers that need to age and they were in the fridge when I bought them.  I brought them home and put them in the fridge because I was afraid going from cold to cool would affect them.  Is it safe to go from fridge temp to a cement basement or do I need to keep them chilled until I'm ready to drink them in a year? 

KingG:
In my experience, cold to warm won't hurt the beer unless you go through giant fluctuations in temperature frequently. In your case, as soon as you get it at your "cellar temp", leave it.

Beer is more resilient than people give it credit. In saying that, you should be more worried about the conditions it was stored in at the shop and what conditions you'll be storing it in.

I actually get this question a lot since I store all my beers at Bine & Vine in the cold box to maintain freshness.

fRed Scare:

--- Quote from: KingG on January 01, 2014, 01:38:10 PM ---In my experience, cold to warm won't hurt the beer unless you go through giant fluctuations in temperature frequently. In your case, as soon as you get it at your "cellar temp", leave it.

Beer is more resilient than people give it credit. In saying that, you should be more worried about the conditions it was stored in at the shop and what conditions you'll be storing it in.

I actually get this question a lot since I store all my beers at Bine & Vine in the cold box to maintain freshness.

--- End quote ---

My basement regularly gets up to about 80 F in the summer, and I haven't experienced any problems with my bottles that have been down there for 3-5 years.  They may end up "aging" faster, but I generally only keep really big beers for that long anyway and the effect should be pretty minimal.

KingG:

--- Quote from: tangfoot on January 02, 2014, 02:53:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: KingG on January 01, 2014, 01:38:10 PM ---In my experience, cold to warm won't hurt the beer unless you go through giant fluctuations in temperature frequently. In your case, as soon as you get it at your "cellar temp", leave it.

--- End quote ---

My basement regularly gets up to about 80 F in the summer, and I haven't experienced any problems with my bottles that have been down there for 3-5 years.  They may end up "aging" faster, but I generally only keep really big beers for that long anyway and the effect should be pretty minimal.

--- End quote ---
80 degrees? Holy poop, that's pretty warm. Do you have any beers in there you've been aging long term? If so, have you tried them?

howardf:
There's a guy here in town that teaches a "Master of Beer Appreciation" class and part of his class is to bring in two boxes of beer - one stored in his basement, one stored next to his hot water heater - and people can't tell the difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version