search

Author Topic: Temperature changes  (Read 1227 times)

Offline sunscar22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • IPA
Temperature changes
« on: January 01, 2014, 03:18:03 AM »
I bought a couple of beers that need to age and they were in the fridge when I bought them.  I brought them home and put them in the fridge because I was afraid going from cold to cool would affect them.  Is it safe to go from fridge temp to a cement basement or do I need to keep them chilled until I'm ready to drink them in a year? 

Offline KingG

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
Re: Temperature changes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »
In my experience, cold to warm won't hurt the beer unless you go through giant fluctuations in temperature frequently. In your case, as soon as you get it at your "cellar temp", leave it.

Beer is more resilient than people give it credit. In saying that, you should be more worried about the conditions it was stored in at the shop and what conditions you'll be storing it in.

I actually get this question a lot since I store all my beers at Bine & Vine in the cold box to maintain freshness.

Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »
In my experience, cold to warm won't hurt the beer unless you go through giant fluctuations in temperature frequently. In your case, as soon as you get it at your "cellar temp", leave it.

Beer is more resilient than people give it credit. In saying that, you should be more worried about the conditions it was stored in at the shop and what conditions you'll be storing it in.

I actually get this question a lot since I store all my beers at Bine & Vine in the cold box to maintain freshness.

My basement regularly gets up to about 80 F in the summer, and I haven't experienced any problems with my bottles that have been down there for 3-5 years.  They may end up "aging" faster, but I generally only keep really big beers for that long anyway and the effect should be pretty minimal.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:03:59 PM »

My basement regularly gets up to about 80 F in the summer, and I haven't experienced any problems with my bottles that have been down there for 3-5 years.  They may end up "aging" faster, but I generally only keep really big beers for that long anyway and the effect should be pretty minimal.
80 degrees? Holy poop, that's pretty warm. Do you have any beers in there you've been aging long term? If so, have you tried them?
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »
There's a guy here in town that teaches a "Master of Beer Appreciation" class and part of his class is to bring in two boxes of beer - one stored in his basement, one stored next to his hot water heater - and people can't tell the difference.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
I remember reading about an experiment a while back. I believe the guy had six bottles and stored them all differently to see what happened. If I remember correctly...
1- Normal in refrigerator
2- Counter top
3- Dark cellar
4- Next to light constantly on
5- Buried in yard wrapped
6- Buried in yard unwrapped
After I think six months he tried them all. Obviously #4 was shit but the rest were all similar.
This ring a bell with anyone else?
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »

80 degrees? Holy poop, that's pretty warm. Do you have any beers in there you've been aging long term? If so, have you tried them?

Yeah, it's a walk-out basement and my insulation is for shit. 
I've had 3+ year old beers that have been fine, but I'm struggling to remember if I've had any that I have had down there for longer than that. 

I'm not really trying to age anything for longer than that anyway.  And the aging is really just a matter of me wanting to hold on to some things to drink with other people, or having bought a lot and working through it slowly (a case each of the Short's Blood Orange Wheat Wine from each of the past three years).
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 07:00:19 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm not planning on aging it longer than a year or two but wanted to make sure I don't skunk it. 

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:20:14 AM »
There's a guy here in town that teaches a "Master of Beer Appreciation" class and part of his class is to bring in two boxes of beer - one stored in his basement, one stored next to his hot water heater - and people can't tell the difference.

How do I get that teaching gig?
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »

First you need a basement...

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »

First you need a basement...

1200 unfinished square feet......
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »

Offline Sebowski

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 04:00:01 AM »
I remember reading about an experiment a while back. I believe the guy had six bottles and stored them all differently to see what happened. If I remember correctly...
2- Counter top
3- Dark cellar
After I think six months he tried them all. Obviously #4 was shit but the rest were all similar.

Bunch of us accidentally did a sunlight experiment. It was crowded so half our group was inside and half outside in the sun. We all had a Pliny the Younger. I was part of the outside group. I went inside and my buddy mentioned something about the sun skunking my beer. I was out there for less than ten minutes. I didn't buy it. Then we all smelled and tasted the difference between the beer that was outside and the beer that wasn't. It was a high difference. The sun will crush a hoppy beer. Funny part was that the outside sun touched beer had a "dank" kind of aroma that I normally totally go for. Made for a weird thought process. I love that dank dry hop smell, and a couple mins of sunlight damage accentuated it all. It was pretty weird. We even tried it with another DIPA and found the same results. Sun will completely change a beer in just a couple minutes. Sometimes it can work though. I still think I liked the skunkier version of those crazy DIPAs.

Temp change is a different animal though. I'm not going to pretend to know much about it. I just hope for the best since I am storing at various temps.
Home is where the Nelson is.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 07:12:33 AM »
2- Counter top
3- Dark cellar

Bunch of us accidentally did a sunlight experiment. It was crowded so half our group was inside and half outside in the sun. We all had a Pliny the Younger. I was part of the outside group. I went inside and my buddy mentioned something about the sun skunking my beer. I was out there for less than ten minutes. I didn't buy it. Then we all smelled and tasted the difference between the beer that was outside and the beer that wasn't. It was a high difference. The sun will crush a hoppy beer. Funny part was that the outside sun touched beer had a "dank" kind of aroma that I normally totally go for. Made for a weird thought process. I love that dank dry hop smell, and a couple mins of sunlight damage accentuated it all. It was pretty weird. We even tried it with another DIPA and found the same results. Sun will completely change a beer in just a couple minutes. Sometimes it can work though. I still think I liked the skunkier version of those crazy DIPAs.

Temp change is a different animal though. I'm not going to pretend to know much about it. I just hope for the best since I am storing at various temps.

I've tasted the sun skunking my beer by the sip while drinking on a patio.  It's amazing how fast it happens.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 08:23:45 AM »
how long before someone starts wrapping all their hoppys in paper?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »

You mean like the DFH Liquor De Malt?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 10:12:12 AM »

never saw that one.  is it really wrapped in paper?  :lol:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »

never saw that one.  is it really wrapped in paper?  :lol:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 10:41:16 AM »
:lol:  is that plastic with a screwtop??

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 11:59:27 AM »
:lol:  is that plastic with a screwtop??

The screwtop definitely looks plastic.

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 12:04:13 AM »
I like the way Firestone puts a lot of their cellar beers in cardboard boxes. 

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 01:13:15 AM »
I like the way Firestone puts a lot of their cellar beers in cardboard boxes.
I wish they'd skip the cardboard box and bottle condition instead so their beers wouldn't oxidize as fast when aged.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com