search

Author Topic: Funk Factory Guezeria  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Funk Factory Guezeria
« on: December 13, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »
http://www.funkfactorygeuzeria.com/2013/12/lambic-brew-day-and-bottle-release.html

Lambic Brew Day and Bottle Release

On January 24th, 2014 Funk Factory Geuzeria will be brewing a traditional lambic with O’so Brewing. After 2 years of “practice” and dialing in the Turbid Mash process, we now have a 1,000 gallon capacity Coolship and will be able to spontaneously ferment our Lambic!

To celebrate, we will have 4 limited-release sour and funky beers available for sale at 5:00pm. We invite beer lovers to come watch the coolship filling at the O’so Tap House and pick up these limited bottles. Cheers!

Facebook Event Page
O’so Tap House
3028 Village Park,
Plover, WI

Dweller on the Threshold - 5.25% ABV - Blended American Sour - 450 bottles

Artwork for this label was done by Amy Swoboda and kicks off our "Fermentation is Art" series. In this series we will commission artists to create original pieces of art inspired by the concept of the beer. Amy is a Cincinnati artist and will be at the release selling 25 signed and numbered prints of the original artwork. First come first serve. Proceeds from this bottle will help Funk Factory pay for the coolship. Thank you for your support!

Sikaru - 12.75% ABV - American Sour with Dates - 450 bottles

Scarlet Letter - 5.5% ABV - Cranberry Sour Blonde - 450 bottles

Winds of Change - 5.5% ABV - American Pale Ale with Brett - 3,000 bottles

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Funk Factory Guezeria
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:00:26 PM »
Furleyplzpickitupformebro :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »
Furleyplzpickitupformebro :cheers:
2 weeks out... update? :coffee:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:08:41 PM »
if i remember, levi said these are being released the night before the CW party. (i actually read the first post this time)  last year's O'so releases were gone by the time i got there on saturday.  expecting same this year.   i would run out and back friday & saturday but it's a bit of a hike for a back to back.

if they're not out on saturday, i will grab some  :thumbup:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »
if i remember, levi said these are being released the night before the CW party. (i actually read the first post this time)  last year's O'so releases were gone by the time i got there on saturday.  expecting same this year.   i would run out and back friday & saturday but it's a bit of a hike for a back to back.

if they're not out on saturday, i will grab some  :thumbup:
Thanks man :cheers: I figured if you were already going, it was worth a shot. Sounds like there might be some Winds of Change left on Sat.

Offline nchrist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 10:47:27 PM »
we should be going to this -- o'so is 40 minutes south of us. i'll try to get some of whatever for you. i hope they don't suck -- most of their sours at the anniversary party were terrible. :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »
we should be going to this -- o'so is 40 minutes south of us. i'll try to get some of whatever for you. i hope they don't suck -- most of their sours at the anniversary party were terrible. :thumbup:
Thanks Nick :thumbup:
I think these are all contract-brewed by Levi at O'so, not sure if he had a hand in any of their past sour stuff. (Maybe he can clarify here).

Offline nchrist

• Quadrupel
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »
got ya -- don't think the sub-par sours at the anniversary had anything to do with the funk factory guezeria other than they are all brewed at o'so. sorry for the confusion.

Offline nchrist

• Quadrupel
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »
This Thursday at Noon, the Brown Paper Ticket reservations will go live for our upcoming release of Frampaars and White Lodge Reserve!

These will be released at the O'so 8th Anniversary party, and O'so will have bottles of Nefarious (Dark cherry sour with cacao and habanero) for sale on location.

White Lodge Reserve - $20/bottle, 6 bottle limit

This is our first American Geuze style beer and I am very excited for you guys to try it.  A blend of 3, 2, and 1 year old American Lambic, it is a complex and delicate beer.  If you've had any of our lambics, or been following this project at all, you will know I believe lambics should be first and foremost a balanced drink.
We are one of the very few producers in the US following the traditional lambic production process, and this may be why we are able to age our barrels for 3 years and not have a sour bomb. I'm excited to show the world what a Geuze from this side of the Atlantic can look like.

Frampaars - $22.50/bottle, 6 bottle limit

Frampaars, meaning purple raspberry, is the sister beer to Framrood (red raspberry). This is a blend of our American Lambic averaging 2 years and then aged on purple raspberries for 3 months.  It has been conditioning for nearly 6 months.  Enjoy!

Levi Funk

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 01:29:23 PM »
This Thursday at Noon, the Brown Paper Ticket reservations will go live for our upcoming release of Frampaars and White Lodge Reserve!

These will be released at the O'so 8th Anniversary party, and O'so will have bottles of Nefarious (Dark cherry sour with cacao and habanero) for sale on location.

White Lodge Reserve - $20/bottle, 6 bottle limit

This is our first American Geuze style beer and I am very excited for you guys to try it.  A blend of 3, 2, and 1 year old American Lambic, it is a complex and delicate beer.  If you've had any of our lambics, or been following this project at all, you will know I believe lambics should be first and foremost a balanced drink.
We are one of the very few producers in the US following the traditional lambic production process, and this may be why we are able to age our barrels for 3 years and not have a sour bomb. I'm excited to show the world what a Geuze from this side of the Atlantic can look like.

Frampaars - $22.50/bottle, 6 bottle limit

Frampaars, meaning purple raspberry, is the sister beer to Framrood (red raspberry). This is a blend of our American Lambic averaging 2 years and then aged on purple raspberries for 3 months.  It has been conditioning for nearly 6 months.  Enjoy!

Levi Funk
ISO: White Lodge Reserve :wub:

Offline nchrist

• Quadrupel
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »
Emerge, your inbox is full.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 10:24:26 AM »
Emerge, your inbox is full.
fack

edit: all clear GB :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 01:16:57 PM »
Anybody have luck with tickets?
Showed as sold out at 12:04, then let me in but I couldn't check out :(

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
Isn't that an Eagles line?
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 02:35:03 PM »
Isn't that an Eagles line?
Hotel California? :lol:

Offline nchrist

• Quadrupel
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »
I got stuck working on teeth until 12:20 and I forgot to check right afterwards, but i was fucked anyways by that point. I'm mostly disappointed in myself, but maybe next time I'll be smart enough to get some. Not a huge deal, but I have been going to these things since the beginning and I'm feeling like an entitled little bitch. :pickle:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
I got stuck working on teeth until 12:20 and I forgot to check right afterwards, but i was fucked anyways by that point. I'm mostly disappointed in myself, but maybe next time I'll be smart enough to get some. Not a huge deal, but I have been going to these things since the beginning and I'm feeling like an entitled little bitch. :pickle:
Sucks, felt the same way. Maybe next time they won't do the 6 limit, seemed like a bit much.
It'll be nice when he can release beers at his own place I guess.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 03:58:56 PM »
On July 7th and 8th we will be releasing Meerts!
There are some important changes to how we are handling this release.

First, We split the release into 2 days and will be doing it out of our new Taproom space in Madison, WI!

Second, we are still using BrownPaperTicket, however, this time you will receive a physical ticket. You must bring this ticket to the release to redeem your bottles.

Third, each ticket will purchase 3 bottles of Meerts! Maximum 2 tickets = 6 bottle limit. Bottles are $10/750ml.

Meerts is our modern interpretation on the low alcohol style traditionally derived from the second running of Lambic. It begins with Pilsner malt, raw wheat, and Saaz hops which is brewed using a turbid mash, long boil, and low hopping rate and then fermented in foeders with our wild yeast.

Tickets will be sold on June 20th at Noon.
Go to Brown Paper Ticket!

Simply provide your trustee with the physical ticket and a copy of your valid state ID (eg. Driver's License). The attendee name must match your ID.
DO NOT PUT YOUR TRUSTEE'S NAME AS THE ATTENDEE/BUYER.

If your name is not listed as the attendee, your order will be forfeited without refund. At the release, if your trustee doesn't have a photocopy of an ID that matches the purchaser's name on the attendee list, your order will be forfeited without refund.

If you wish to have your ticket shipped to your trustee:
You must know your trustee's address in advance. Upon checking out, your screen will look like one of the following:
Purchasing 2 tickets
Purchasing 1 ticket
Warning: Brown Paper Ticket has stated this won't conflict with your Credit Card processing, but we make no guarantee, and there is a chance this will prevent you from checking out.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »
First release in Madison finally... :thumbup:

Meerts

Dammit, beat me by a minute.  :mellow:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
Taproom Grand Opening Weekend June 23rd-25th! :excited:

Mark your calendar- The weekend of June 23rd we will be opening the doors of the new Funk Factory Taproom!

GRAND OPENING HOURS:
Friday: 4-11
Saturday 2-12
Sunday 11-7

1602 Gilson St
Madison, WI 53715

The details:

As you know, all we do are wild/funky/sour beers, and we've been busy packaging a lot of new beers to fill our new lines! Tap list so far:
Meerts
Cherry Meerts
Peach Meerts
Blood, Sweat, and Unicorn Tears (Cranberry sour)
Cervino (Chardonnay/Sour ale hybrid)

We will also have some bottles available for on-premise consumption. However, we will not be doing a bottle release during the grand opening. There are enough moving parts with a new space, new staff, etc, that we don't want to confuse it more than need be for the opening weekend.

We're excited to show you our expansion and the new taproom!

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 09:24:32 PM »
I should be there that Friday, will try and report back.
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 10:52:52 PM »
I should be there that Friday, will try and report back.
:thumbup:

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »

Meerts

If someone needs a proxy for Friday tickets let me know. I will be out of town Saturday so cant make that day. Sale starts in a couple of hours.
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 11:53:41 AM »

Meerts

If someone needs a proxy for Friday tickets let me know. I will be out of town Saturday so cant make that day. Sale starts in a couple of hours.
Thanks for the offer :cheers:
I'll probably just wait and drink some on tap after the opening hubbub dies down. If it ever does :unsure:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
https://isthmus.com/food-drink/beer/meet-the-meerts/

Madison’s Funk Factory Geuzeria opened its operations about three years ago in a small building on the city’s south side. Since that time. owner Levi Funk has been diligently working on his long-aged lambic concoctions. However, until recently, most have been rare novelties turning up at festivals or sparingly in local tap houses. Last month, Funk opened his taproom to the public. His first regular bottle release is a meerts beer. It’s capturing a lot of attention from sour fans, and it’s on its way to becoming the signature beer for the Funk Factory.

What is it? Meerts from Funk Factory Geuzeria.

Style: Funk Factory Geuzeria owner Levi Funk describes the meerts as a forgotten style that falls under the broad category of lambics. “It’s the baby brother of the lambic,” he says. They are light-bodied, relatively low in alcohol at 2 to 4 percent ABV. They are made by taking the second runnings of a turbid lambic mash, which involves rinsing of the grain bed a second time and collecting that wort to ferment into beer. These beers get their sourness from fermentation by wild yeast strains. Meerts means “March” in Flemish, and traditionally they would have been released at that time.

Background: Funk believes that his Funk Factory Geuzeria is the only U.S. maker of a meerts. It’s creating a great deal of buzz in the local beer world. “I really made it to see what the style was,” says Funk. “I went headfirst into it and made a bunch of it. We’ve had a lot of fun with this beer.”

Funk currently makes all his beers with other breweries to make wort he then ferments in the Geuzeria. In the case of the meerts, he partners with Octopi Brewing in Waunkee. The wort goes into 1,000-gallon oak foeders (large wooden tanks) and then wild yeast does its work. “This [meerts] is intended to be an introduction to sour beer,” says Funk. “It will appeal to those curious about what is going on with sour beers.”

To make his meerts, Funk uses a combination of Pilsner malt, raw wheat and Czech Saaz hops. Currently in the Funk Factory Geuzeria taproom there are also two fruited versions of the meerts available: one with tart cherries and another with peaches. In these, the beer continues fermenting with the fruit for an additional month or more while Funk tastes them periodically to determine when they are ready to release.

Meerts finishes at 4 percent ABV. It’s available in the taproom on tap for $3/6-ounce glass, $5/16-ounce glass and $10/750 mL bottle. Funk says he’s planning to release the cherry version in August. He intends to bottle other variants such as blackberry, cranberry, peach and cucumber/pear. Also currently in the taproom is an experimental meerts-based IPA made with Galaxy hops. The taproom is open Thursday through Sunday.

Tasting notes:

Aroma: Fruity, citrus and hints of lemon.

Appearance: Hazy yellow-golden body. An initial thick bubbly white head that dissipates quickly.

Texture: Light, bubbly and crisp.

Taste: Fruity, sharp light sourness with firm notes of citrus and lemon.

Finish/Aftertaste: Fruity sour. Crisp without become too tart.

Glassware: The Willi Becher or a wine glass with an inward flare will focus these citrus and lemon notes under the nose.

Pairs well with: seafood, especially oily fish like salmon. Oysters and snails also are intriguing matches; however, in my experience, one has to like those on their own before putting them next to any beer. Gruyere, with its slightly sweet and salty flavor, will go nicely with Funk Factory’s meerts.

The Verdict: This is a wonderfully approachable sour. It’s light with inviting lemon crispness. It’s also effervescent and bubbly, much like Champagne or sparkling wine. This is a beer that will appeal to sour aficionados as well as those looking to find an entry point to the style. I like it because it’s distinctive, sour yet not overly tart or acidic. Serve it cold to enhance its crispness. It’s an excellent pre-meal beer; its sharp crisp sourness will cleanse the palate. Of the fruited versions, I’ll take the cherry over the peach. The cherry is more flavorful (at least that’s true of the current batch in the taproom) with its essence of earthy tartness – like eating a cherry right off the tree.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »
Please to be posting the FF GTMW Pre-party info TIA :thumbup:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 01:14:30 PM »
:goodposting:

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 03:52:31 PM »
This place worth a visit? We will be in Madison by Thursday at noon.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 04:03:16 PM »
This place worth a visit?

getting good reviews everywhere i've read
thinking of trying to wobble over there myself at some point

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 04:34:51 PM »
This place worth a visit?

getting good reviews everywhere i've read
thinking of trying to wobble over there myself at some point

I've been to their pre-party the last couple years. They have had issues in the past due to the huge crowd, running out of beer, over/undercarbed kegs, etc. Now that the taproom is open, they can split the tap stations at least. They make great stuff though, and I was only able to try Forager beers there since they ran out before gen admission at the Taste.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »
Pre-party was well run this year, took a few hours to run out of beers at least. Got to try most everything I wanted to, thanks to everybody that shared stuff too. :thumbup:

Draft article about FF Meerts
It's pretty good, but could use a little more complexity imho.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:11:18 AM by emerge »

Offline nchrist

• Quadrupel
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »
Pre-party was well run this year, took a few hours to run out of beers at least. Got to try most everything I wanted to, thanks to everybody that shared stuff too. :thumbup:

I agree. It's a solid beer and some of the fruit blends have been above average, but definitely something is missing when you compare Meertz to their regular lineup of Fromrood, Frampaars, Door Kriek, or even the only non-fruited thing I can think of Dweller on the Threshold. The Framrood punch down was also noticeable less complex (and less carbed, but that might just be coincidence) than both batches of the "regular" Framrood.

I think the focus on Meertz has been to get enough beer to actually serve things at the tasting room and probably revenue to keep things running, which doesn't bother me but I tend to give Levi the benefit of the doubt. :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 11:10:46 AM »

I agree. It's a solid beer and some of the fruit blends have been above average, but definitely something is missing when you compare Meertz to their regular lineup of Fromrood, Frampaars, Door Kriek, or even the only non-fruited thing I can think of Dweller on the Threshold. The Framrood punch down was also noticeable less complex (and less carbed, but that might just be coincidence) than both batches of the "regular" Framrood.

I think the focus on Meertz has been to get enough beer to actually serve things at the tasting room and probably revenue to keep things running, which doesn't bother me but I tend to give Levi the benefit of the doubt. :cheers:
Yep, it's what keeps the taproom open since the turnaround is much faster than some of the long-term barreled stuff.
Oddly enough he recently did a Meerts with "osage oranges" which I noticed all over the trees on recent trips through Missouri.

Wondering if i'll ever get to try some of the stuff since it's all ticketed and special clubbed, etc.
Seems like there's an effort to keep things on-site for the taproom though, which gives me hope.
I'd just like to go there and be surprised by something cool. Florida Weisse was pretty great I thought.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
if.. say.. Goose Island rolled out a photo of that fruit and said they were making a beer... 85% negative response?

higher?

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »
if.. say.. Goose Island rolled out a photo of that fruit and said they were making a beer... 85% negative response?

higher?

And the other 15% would stand in line for 14 hours to pay $200 to buy a lottery ticket for the chance to buy a 3 oz sample of it for $75.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
It looks gross if anyone were to use it... FF doesn't get a pass from me :shrug:
It was just a 1 keg test batch so I don't think it was really even "serious".

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 11:19:11 AM »

higher?

And the other 15% would stand in line for 14 hours to pay $200 to buy a lottery ticket for the chance to buy a 3 oz sample of it for $75.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »
It looks gross if anyone were to use it... FF doesn't get a pass from me :shrug:
It was just a 1 keg test batch so I don't think it was really even "serious".

i should clarify, my 85% comment was a general public estimation. not an emerge related comment.

Offline nchrist

• Quadrupel
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2017, 05:47:14 PM »
Wondering if i'll ever get to try some of the stuff since it's all ticketed and special clubbed, etc.
Seems like there's an effort to keep things on-site for the taproom though, which gives me hope.
I'd just like to go there and be surprised by something cool. Florida Weisse was pretty great I thought.

Yeah, everything that gets released also gets sold for on-premise consumption. Even the Framzwartzje I got to try a bottle, lasted a couple of weekends for sale, I wasn't a top 100 buyer at that point so I missed out on the 100 bottle release. If anybody here needs a proxy to pick up for them, you can always buy the bottles online and just let me know, I can always pick them up or if I'm not around I have a family member head over there.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »

Yeah, everything that gets released also gets sold for on-premise consumption. Even the Framzwartzje I got to try a bottle, lasted a couple of weekends for sale, I wasn't a top 100 buyer at that point so I missed out on the 100 bottle release. If anybody here needs a proxy to pick up for them, you can always buy the bottles online and just let me know, I can always pick them up or if I'm not around I have a family member head over there.
You are a man among men, sir. I haven't even tried for tickets or anything, but will remember in the future. :thumbup:

"Top 100 buyer"... is this what beer is now? Reward the "best consumer"? Idk... :conflictedfeels:

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 08:28:59 PM »

“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2017, 12:22:40 PM »
 :lol:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »

Very pleased to announce that we rented an additional building in front of the blendery which will be dedicated to AmLam production. Here is our new logo. We will need the help of AmLam producers to learn us how to pitch...

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
meh, can't tell if the pic posted or not