search

Author Topic: Trubbel Brewing with Jaysus  (Read 5282 times)

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
Re: Trubbel Brewing with Jaysus
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2015, 04:22:56 PM »
BREW UPDATE: 10 gallons of a Hoppy Wheat (originally inspired by Southern Tier's Hop Sun oh so many years ago) brewed in 20 degree weather on Feb 28th.

I made a tap label on my phone, it made me feel fancy.

From 2010 when my then 3 year old daughter named this beer for me:
I've brewed this one enough to give it a name, so upon returning home from Ryan's, I asked Ella for a good name for this beer. Without hesitation, she replied, "Allie Torenta!" I have no idea where she got that name, and have no idea what it means... but she was passionate about it, and recalled the same name when I asked her (unprompted) the next day. So "Allie Torenta" it is! Future spelling TBD, but I have no problem rolling as is for now.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »
:thumbup:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2015, 10:42:34 AM »
Brewed 10 gallons of mild today, only had to lift it once, which with my monstrosity of kettle, is always a good thing. GB a pipeline

I made another label on my phone, I am not good at this stuff.  P.S. My daughter named this one too :unsure:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »
:unsure:

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »
I took off on Friday and went over to my GB's brewpub to knock out 20 gallons of surprise birthday roast beer for a mutual GB. It was fun using the homebrew equipment in the brewery.

We used a recipe that I pretty much came up with (so I hope it does not suck).  It is essentially a golden version of my ESB base with an American hop schedule and my go-to English yeast. We are putting 15 gallons in a sanke half and 5 in my pin to be served via gravity.  Pretty sure we are going to kick the pin up a notch with charred habanero and mango (as a throwback to a previous beer brewed for/by the birthday boy)

ETA: the crowd that will be drinking this beer at the roast will be grade A beer ticker nerds.  I expect it to be all over local social media.... so like I said, I hope it does not suck ;)

ETA2: I hit my gravity... the pro-brewer didn't  :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:38:38 AM by Jaysus »

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2015, 11:08:10 AM »
We are putting 15 gallons in a sanke half and 5 in my pin to be served via gravity.  Pretty sure we are going to kick the pin up a notch with charred habanero and mango (as a throwback to a previous beer brewed for/by the birthday boy)

The pin was a HIT!

On Saturday I brewed my first 5 gallon batch since February 2013.  Whoa. P.S. it was an IPA, I am not much of an IPA guy anymore.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:10:18 PM by Jaysus »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »
:thumbup:

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2015, 09:11:57 AM »
On Saturday I brewed my first 5 gallon batch since February 2013.  Whoa. P.S. it was an IPA, I am not much of an IPA guy anymore.

I accidentally made a 6.9% beer when I was aiming for a 5.5% one :unsure:

As it turns out, the "Honey" in my GB's recipe I used as a starting point meant "Honey Malt" not raw honey.  Oops.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2015, 03:39:03 PM »

As it turns out, the "Honey" in my GB's recipe I used as a starting point meant "Honey Malt" not raw honey.  Oops.

I brewed 8 gallons of something pretty similar to this yesterday.  I will be pouring 5 gallons of it an an outing and am struggling with what to call it. This version should be similarly hoppy, but only be about 4.3% ABV.  I should just go with IPA, right?  That crowd may not know the difference anyway...

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2015, 05:03:32 PM »

I brewed 8 gallons of something pretty similar to this yesterday.  I will be pouring 5 gallons of it an an outing and am struggling with what to call it. This version should be similarly hoppy, but only be about 4.3% ABV.  I should just go with IPA, right?  That crowd may not know the difference anyway...

Session IPA is defined in the 2015 BJCP guidelines under Specialty IPA

Session – ABV: 3.0 – 5.0%
Standard – ABV: 5.0 – 7.5%
Double – ABV: 7.5 – 10.0%

ETA, for entries you are supposed to further classify which sub-category of specialty ipa it is (american, english, red, brown, etc) but "session IPA" is pretty commonly used

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:14:15 PM by ntz08 »

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »

Session IPA is defined in the 2015 BJCP guidelines under Specialty IPA

Session – ABV: 3.0 – 5.0%
Standard – ABV: 5.0 – 7.5%
Double – ABV: 7.5 – 10.0%

ETA, for entries you are supposed to further classify which sub-category of specialty ipa it is (american, english, red, brown, etc) but "session IPA" is pretty commonly used

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

I know and I hate it... I had no idea was an actual thing though.

ETA: my mind is a bit blown at this point
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:42:41 AM by Jaysus »

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2016, 11:09:05 AM »
Broke my 2016 brewing cherry this weekend with 10 gallons of an all Mosaic american wheat.  My undersized immersion chiller worked like a champ with the entire hose buried in snow.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2016, 10:28:17 AM »
Yay!  I finally brewed again yesterday!  (3rd time this year - 10g of ordinary bitter in March).

I knocked out a 10 gallon Citra & Mosaic hop BOMB!  Big hoppys are not usually my thing, but I love that hop combo, plus out of the 23oz of hops I am using, I only added 1oz prior to 10minutes.  Juicy.

Best part of this brew?  It cost me $4 out of pocket for the oats.  I love having pro-brewer friends!  Opne bummer is that I thought I had a cleaner yeast on hand to let the hops really shine, but I can not imagine the esters from the Whitbread strain will be to present in this one - who knows, it may even work out well?

24 lbs Pale Ale Malt; Rahr info
4 lbs Oats Flaked info

1.25 oz CitraTM (Pellets, 12.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1 oz CitraTM (Pellets, 12.00 %AA) boiled 10 min. info
1 oz MosaicTM (Pellets, 12.50 %AA) boiled 10 min. info
4 oz CitraTM (Pellets, 12.00 %AA) boiled 0 min. info
4 oz MosaicTM (Pellets, 12.50 %AA) boiled 0 min. info
6 oz CitraTM (Pellets, 12.00 %AA) used as dry hop. info
6 oz MosaicTM (Pellets, 12.50 %AA) used as dry hop. info
Yeast : Fermentis S­04 Safale S­04 info

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »
My mosaic kick continues brewed my 4th 10 gallon batch of the year yesterday, it was the 3rd mosaic one.  I'm calling it BEACH BEER, it is inspired by Carton's Boat Beer, and is a 4.4% blond ale with a bunch of mosaic added late and some citra sprinkled in along the way as well.  Oh, and oats.  I uses oats again.  Good times.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »
fax me some?

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
My mosaic kick continues brewed my 4th 10 gallon batch of the year yesterday, it was the 3rd mosaic one.  I'm calling it BEACH BEER, it is inspired by Carton's Boat Beer, and is a 4.4% blond ale with a bunch of mosaic added late and some citra sprinkled in along the way as well.  Oh, and oats.  I uses oats again.  Good times.

geez, how drunk was I when I typed that?

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2016, 09:45:19 AM »
I hope I like it, because it was way more expensive than I had budgeted for, but I have a 10g Dunkelweiss on desk for Friday... using a new yeast for kicks, and I am most worried about that.

On the plus side my last 20 gallons combined cost me less than $4 out of pocket, so I've got that going for me.

P.S. when did Breiss wheat get so expensive?

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2016, 10:21:24 AM »
i think the last sack of wheat i picked up was weyermann and was probably around $60

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2016, 10:15:34 AM »
My mosaic kick continues as I brewed my 4th 10 gallon batch of the year yesterday, it was the 3rd mosaic one.  I'm calling it BEACH BEER, it is inspired by Carton's Boat Beer, and is a 4.4% blond ale with a bunch of mosaic added late and some citra sprinkled in along the way as well.  Oh, and oats.  I used oats again.  Good times.

I brewed another 10 gallons of this on Saturday.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »
I brewed a 5-gallon batch last weekend.  Everything about it felt odd; I am going back to 10 gallons full time.  On the plus side, having a 3 hour brew day was pretty darn nice.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »
I knocked out 10 gallons of ESB on Saturday, it is on of my  "flagships", but I have not brewed it in over 2 years.  I am 2 for 2 in calendar months brewed this year.  My goal, as always, is to be 12/12.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2017, 02:23:49 PM »
Peach Wheatwine?  Sure, why not: 8 gallons fermenting as we speak after a Sunday brewday.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2017, 02:30:23 PM »
Peach Wheatwine?  Sure, why not: 8 gallons fermenting as we speak after a Sunday brewday.
:excited: Did you use peach puree?
Had a very interesting one of these at a fest last weekend. It was an '11 vintage, with fresh peach puree added. Had some funk also.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »
Had a very interesting one of these at a fest last weekend. It was an '11 vintage, with fresh peach puree added. Had some funk also.

Oh, I missed this.  I used sliced peaches that I bagged and mashed up.  It is sitting on them now.... it is also sitting at over 10% ABV.  Nice.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »

Oh, I missed this.  I used sliced peaches that I bagged and mashed up.  It is sitting on them now.... it is also sitting at over 10% ABV.  Nice.
Sweet :thumbup: :ale:

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »

So this got a "top 3" result in the "Other" category in the #HBGBeerWeek Battle of the Homebrewers contest yesterday. 

P.S. My BEACH BEER (http://www.thebeerspot.com/forum/index.php/topic,14422.msg704830.html#msg704830) got 1st place in the IPA/DIPA category.  ;)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2017, 11:01:07 AM »

So this got a "top 3" result in the "Other" category in the #HBGBeerWeek Battle of the Homebrewers contest yesterday. 

P.S. My BEACH BEER (http://www.thebeerspot.com/forum/index.php/topic,14422.msg704830.html#msg704830) got 1st place in the IPA/DIPA category.  ;)
Congrats :thumbup: :cheers:

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2017, 09:31:03 AM »
I've knocked out 20 gallons over the last 3 weeks.  10 Gallons of a 3.3% mild that is drinking really well so far, and 10g of Patersbier that should finish at about 4.7%.  My basement currently smells like heaven from the Westmalle strain fermentation in the patersbier.