search

Author Topic: Craft breweries coming to three Buffalo neighborhoods  (Read 1742 times)

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Craft breweries coming to three Buffalo neighborhoods
« on: December 04, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/buffalo/craft-breweries-coming-to-three-buffalo-neighborhoods-20131203

The ability to watch beer being made, and to drink it in an attractive space in the same building, is growing rapidly in Buffalo.

Downtown, on the West Side and in the Larkin District, craft breweries are opening up, bringing beers made in smaller batches to a city whose beer drinkers have more often than not reached for major label beers such as Labatt Blue.

Big Ditch Brewing Co. is going into an old vacant building on Ellicott Street, Resurgence Brewing Co. has plans to open on Niagara Street, and Flying Bison Brewing Co., which has operated on Ontario Street for 13 years, is looking at larger space on Seneca Street.

Plans for all three beer projects were approved Tuesday by the city’s Planning Board.

Big Ditch Brewing is creating a destination for beer lovers in a part of downtown that is seeing new investments, from Holling Place Apartments on Washington Street to Tappo Restaurant and the Electric Tower, both on Ellicott Street, and a planned seafood restaurant in the former Howard Shoes building on East Huron Street.

“This is an area that has been evolving,” said David Chiazza, executive vice president of Iskalo Development.

Iskalo owns the former Verizon fleet maintenance building at 337 Ellicott St., and in addition to planning out the space for its new tenant, Iskalo has also been helping Big Ditch with its business plan.

Because Big Ditch is a start-up company, it’s important for it to be taken seriously, and that the new location offers a “sense of arrival,” Chiazza said.

The building’s facade had nothing that caught the eye of passers-by, and didn’t offer much incentive to draw people in, developers said. So windows are being added, and three-foot lettering spelling out the name of the company will serve as a sign at the top of the building.

Farther south, Flying Bison is hoping to move into a 12,000-square-foot, one-story building at 840 Seneca St., which would offer indoor and outdoor tasting areas.

Tim Herzog, a principal with the company, said they are waiting on a final environmental determination to see if the site is suitable for a brewery. If it is, construction would last about 12 weeks, Herzog said.

Larkin Development partner Joseph Petrella voiced his company’s support for the brewery. “It’s been lonely,” Petrella said of the adjacent Larkin District.

On the West Side, Resurgence Brewing is taking over al space on Niagara Street to construct a beer production facility, an indoor tasting area and outdoor beer garden.

Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
Re: Craft breweries coming to three Buffalo neighborhoods
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »
Flying Bison's space has to be better than in its old space; I took a coworker to the old location and she was concerned that we would find a dead body.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 01:54:11 PM »
Not sure how I missed this before.

I've met the Big Ditch guys, they're nice.  I've heard they brew decent beer but never had it.  Not sure about the location....it's right downtown but downtown is kinda a dead zone.

I know nothing about the Resurgence people except that it's going to be a stone's throw from Community Beer Works' brewery, so that's cool.  And Santasiero's (really good old school Italian restaurant) is right there too.  My old 'hood.

I can actually see Flying Bison's new space out of my office window.  As bad as their current location is - in the ghetto in an otherwise-abandoned warehouse plaza right next door to a large housing project - at least their facility itself is decent.  This new building that they're getting is totally run-down.  The neighborhood is slowly "coming back" thanks to a lot of investment from First Niagara (their HQ is in the building I work in, nearly right across the street from the new FB space), but it's still a very poor neighborhood with mostly abandoned homes and businesses.  I think their 12-week construction plan seems very aggressive, but I've never been inside the building.  It would be awesome if they could open a bar there....I'd walk there after work all the time.
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »
Not sure how I missed this before.

I've met the Big Ditch guys, they're nice.  I've heard they brew decent beer but never had it.  Not sure about the location....it's right downtown but downtown is kinda a dead zone.

I know nothing about the Resurgence people except that it's going to be a stone's throw from Community Beer Works' brewery, so that's cool.  And Santasiero's (really good old school Italian restaurant) is right there too.  My old 'hood.

I can actually see Flying Bison's new space out of my office window.  As bad as their current location is - in the ghetto in an otherwise-abandoned warehouse plaza right next door to a large housing project - at least their facility itself is decent.  This new building that they're getting is totally run-down.  The neighborhood is slowly "coming back" thanks to a lot of investment from First Niagara (their HQ is in the building I work in, nearly right across the street from the new FB space), but it's still a very poor neighborhood with mostly abandoned homes and businesses.  I think their 12-week construction plan seems very aggressive, but I've never been inside the building.  It would be awesome if they could open a bar there....I'd walk there after work all the time.

That's an understatement.  Took a former coworker there and she was afraid for her life.  I had to convince her I wasn't going to leave her for dead.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline 19redwings

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 11:23:56 AM »
Chuck to the rescue

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/buffalo/schumer-in-buffalo-visit-pushes-tax-cut-bill-to-boost-craft-brewing-industry-20140121

By Jane Kwiatkowski | News Staff Reporter on January 21, 2014 - 1:22 PM
, updated January 21, 2014 at 2:16 PM

inShare2    Related Articles
Cuomo’s call for 3.8% increase in spending for education greeted coolly at local level
 Strategy on higher education includes easing tuition to reverse ‘brain drain’ from state
 Olean brewery looks to bring history to the future, and help build the community
 NFTA says Cuomo’s budget plan falls short of meeting its needs
 State funding for Roswell Park would remain stable at $103 million
 ‘Great stuff’ as remaining $680 million is pledged for Buffalo Billion
 Cuomo offers election year olive branch with proposed budget appealing to both sides of legislative aisle
 Craft breweries coming to three Buffalo neighborhoods
 Buffalo’s craft brew culture includes new West Side beer garden
 New microbrewery in West Seneca is part of growing trend in WNY
 Sen. Charles E. Schumer stopped at Pearl Street Grill & Brewery on Tuesday to detail proposed tax-cutting legislation that would boost Buffalo’s burgeoning craft-brewing industry.

“Small breweries throughout Buffalo, like Pearl Street Grill & Brewery, not only brew great beer, they also pour jobs into the community,” the New York Democrat said.

“By cutting taxes for these small businesses, we can help breweries buy new equipment and hire more people to boost business, and truly allow them to capitalize on the growing craft beer culture in Western New York.”

Under the Small BREW (Brewer Reinvestment and Expanding Workforce) Act, the current excise tax rate of $7 per barrel would be cut to $3.50. The tax applies to the first 60,000 barrels brewed each year.

Schumer joined Earl Ketry, owner of the Pearl Street and Pan-American breweries; Ethan Cox, owner of Community Beer Works; Tim Herzog, owner of Flying Bison Brewing Co.; Jeff Ware, owner of Resurgence Brewing on Niagara Street; Matt Kahn, owner of soon-to-be-opened Big Ditch Brewing on Ellicott Street; and Doug Swift, owner of RiverWorks Brewing Co.

Pearl Street produces 2,800 barrels of beer annually, according to Ketry, who hopes to boost that number to 3,500 barrels. In addition, Ketry said, Pearl Street employs 325 workers.

Under the Small BREW Act, the brewery would save more than $9,800 per year in excise taxes.

“Sen. Schumer’s legislation not only gives a boost to our business, it also helps lift the entire Buffalo economy,” Ketry said. “Every dollar we can save in federal excise tax we can reinvest in hiring more employees and growing our business.”

Herzog, a veteran of the craft-brewing scene, described the small-brew industry as a capital-intensive business for a number of reasons.

“The equipment is expensive, employees must be specifically trained to work in a brewery, and fresh brewing ingredients can break the budget,” Herzog said. “When you add sales tax and excise tax on top of that, it’s tough to keep the doors open.”

Craft brewers also would be getting a shot in the arm from the state budget proposed Tuesday by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo.

To increase the availability of locally grown hops for the state’s growing craft-brew industry, the spending plan would continue $40,000 for a program to evaluate and test hop varieties throughout the state.

As of last summer, there were 131 licensed breweries in New York State. More than 100 are microbreweries, defined as having an annual production of less than 15,000 barrels.

Nationally, according to trade publication Beer Marketer’s Insights, barrels shipped have more than doubled in the last decade. Craft beer now makes up nearly 7 percent of the U.S. beer market.

The Small BREW Act also would cut the tax by $2 on the next 1,940,000 barrels produced.

Ware, a native of Orchard Park, is opening Resurgence Brewing in a former factory at 1250 Niagara St.

“As a startup brewery, we have limited resources,” Ware said. “Cutting the excise tax would put money back in our pocket that we can spend on equipment and staff. This is what we need to grow our business.”

Can I get it in yellow?

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:43:33 PM »
FWIW, this building has a for sale sign on it now.  Not sure what's going on.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »
Aaaaand here's our explanation (from Business First - link:

Flying Bison Brewing Co. is still headed to Buffalo’s Larkinville District, but the building that will house the craft beer manufacturer will be decidedly different than originally envisioned.

Tim Herzog, Flying Bison founder and general manager, confirmed his company is still going ahead with plans to open a 12,500-square-feet manufacturing center and tasting room at 840 Seneca St. But rather than renovate the existing cinder-block structure, plans now call for razing the building and constructing a new facility at the same location. Flying Bison’s proposal will be reviewed by the Buffalo Planning Board on Feb. 25 and the city’s Preservation Board, on Feb. 13, already looked at the plans. The preservation board is not expected to object to the proposal.

“The building was in very rugged shape,” Herzog said. “It was almost beyond the point where you could save it.”

The Seneca Street building, constructed in the 1940s, had a number of uses including serving as a barrel house for the William Simon Brewery. It was also used as a warehouse and light manufacturing facility.

“Outside of demolishing the building, all of our other plans remain the same,” Herzog said. “Instead repairing the shell, which would have been very expensive, we are replacing the shell.”

Flying Bison plans on moving, this year, from its original home on Ontario Street to the new site. Since its 2000 inception, Flying Bison has leased its Ontario Street site and the building’s owner, DiVal Safety Equipment now needs the building for its own expansion needs.

Herzog said Flying Bison had originally pinpointed a pair of Michigan Avenue buildings, but those deals could not be completed.

The new building will allow Flying Bison to increase its output and also develop an indoor beer garden/tasting room as part of the tours that regularly take place at the brewery.

Between its Buffalo and Utica plants, Flying Bison produces about 6,000 barrels annually of its various beers. Production is split on a 50/50 basis between the two locations but virtually all of Flying Bison’s beer is sold in Western New York.

“Virtually, every drop we make is sold here,” Herzog said.

Herzog said the new site will allow the company to increase production to at least 10,000 barrels annually and expand its outreach beyond Western New York’s eight counties. It may also allow the brewer to add more beers to its portfolio.

Flying Bison has 10 employees but with the expansion, Herzog hopes to add another six full- and part-time workers.

A final price tag on the move and expansion is still being tabulated, Herzog said.

Scheid Architects has been retained as the project architect while Lehigh Construction will serve as the general contractor.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »
Aaaaand here's our explanation (from Business First - link:

Flying Bison Brewing Co. is still headed to Buffalo’s Larkinville District, but the building that will house the craft beer manufacturer will be decidedly different than originally envisioned.

Tim Herzog, Flying Bison founder and general manager, confirmed his company is still going ahead with plans to open a 12,500-square-feet manufacturing center and tasting room at 840 Seneca St. But rather than renovate the existing cinder-block structure, plans now call for razing the building and constructing a new facility at the same location. Flying Bison’s proposal will be reviewed by the Buffalo Planning Board on Feb. 25 and the city’s Preservation Board, on Feb. 13, already looked at the plans. The preservation board is not expected to object to the proposal.

“The building was in very rugged shape,” Herzog said. “It was almost beyond the point where you could save it.”

The Seneca Street building, constructed in the 1940s, had a number of uses including serving as a barrel house for the William Simon Brewery. It was also used as a warehouse and light manufacturing facility.

“Outside of demolishing the building, all of our other plans remain the same,” Herzog said. “Instead repairing the shell, which would have been very expensive, we are replacing the shell.”

Flying Bison plans on moving, this year, from its original home on Ontario Street to the new site. Since its 2000 inception, Flying Bison has leased its Ontario Street site and the building’s owner, DiVal Safety Equipment now needs the building for its own expansion needs.

Herzog said Flying Bison had originally pinpointed a pair of Michigan Avenue buildings, but those deals could not be completed.

The new building will allow Flying Bison to increase its output and also develop an indoor beer garden/tasting room as part of the tours that regularly take place at the brewery.

Between its Buffalo and Utica plants, Flying Bison produces about 6,000 barrels annually of its various beers. Production is split on a 50/50 basis between the two locations but virtually all of Flying Bison’s beer is sold in Western New York.

“Virtually, every drop we make is sold here,” Herzog said.

Herzog said the new site will allow the company to increase production to at least 10,000 barrels annually and expand its outreach beyond Western New York’s eight counties. It may also allow the brewer to add more beers to its portfolio.

Flying Bison has 10 employees but with the expansion, Herzog hopes to add another six full- and part-time workers.

A final price tag on the move and expansion is still being tabulated, Herzog said.

Scheid Architects has been retained as the project architect while Lehigh Construction will serve as the general contractor.

Makes sense.  Plus, you gotta love Tim's "old German beer drinking guy" moustache.  :thumbup:

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 10:20:05 PM »
Also I think I can see my car in the work parking lot lol.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »
They broke ground on the new Flying Bison facility the other day.  Rumor has it now that they're not planning a bar anymore, just a tasting room.  Shame.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »
In less than a week, they're down to just the foundation.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »
how's the progress?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
- Flying Bison's new building is coming along nicely.  They have at least the shell up and have construction work going on daily.  They pushed back the scheduled opening into September and I've heard mixed answers on the question of whether they'll have just a small tap room for growler pours or an actual full-pint bar.  I'll try to take a picture of the building sometime.

- Resurgence opened like a month or so ago.  I have not been there yet.  The pictures look amazing....they totally gutted and re-did an entire building.  But two of my main go-to beer friends both gave me scathing reviews on their beers.  Most of the trendy/cool not-huge-beer-people crowd have given me nothing but rave reviews...but the "beer guys" were very let down.  I don't want to talk bad about people I don't know, but from what I've heard, the brewers/owners have  minimal brewing background (could explain why I've never seen/heard of them before).  Take a look through the Yelp photos here....they really did an amazing job with the space.

- Big Ditch is still in the setup phase.  I am looking forward to their beer the most...I think they're very ambitious from when I've talked to them, and I've heard a lot of good things about their homebrew.

Overall it looks to me like Buffalo is finally entering the craft beer boom stage.  2.5 years ago, you had really 3 options for local beer...Flying Bison, Pearl Street, and Buffalo Brewpub, none of which actually made good beer.  Now there are a number of new breweries...Community Beer Works, Hamburg, Resurgence, Old First Ward....and the quality has definitely taken a big step forward.  Even Flying Bison has gotten significantly better since the Saranac buyout.

But still, the overall quality leaves a bit to be desired.  Community Beer Works is, IMO, a legitimate "world class" brewery, and I don't use that term lightly.  There's a reason their IPA finished in 2nd place in a national contest last year, knocking out Racer 5, Founders Centennial, and Fat Heads IBUsive along the way.  But the rest of them....I'm hoping they step up their games a little bit.  Hamburg has a few that I really enjoy, but I recently had a Rye IPA from them and it was nearly a drainpour.  OFW is just okay.  Flying Bison may be my 2nd favorite local brewery these days.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 02:23:16 PM »
- Flying Bison's new building is coming along nicely.  They have at least the shell up and have construction work going on daily.  They pushed back the scheduled opening into September and I've heard mixed answers on the question of whether they'll have just a small tap room for growler pours or an actual full-pint bar.  I'll try to take a picture of the building sometime.

- Resurgence opened like a month or so ago.  I have not been there yet.  The pictures look amazing....they totally gutted and re-did an entire building.  But two of my main go-to beer friends both gave me scathing reviews on their beers.  Most of the trendy/cool not-huge-beer-people crowd have given me nothing but rave reviews...but the "beer guys" were very let down.  I don't want to talk bad about people I don't know, but from what I've heard, the brewers/owners have  minimal brewing background (could explain why I've never seen/heard of them before).  Take a look through the Yelp photos here....they really did an amazing job with the space.

- Big Ditch is still in the setup phase.  I am looking forward to their beer the most...I think they're very ambitious from when I've talked to them, and I've heard a lot of good things about their homebrew.

Overall it looks to me like Buffalo is finally entering the craft beer boom stage.  2.5 years ago, you had really 3 options for local beer...Flying Bison, Pearl Street, and Buffalo Brewpub, none of which actually made good beer.  Now there are a number of new breweries...Community Beer Works, Hamburg, Resurgence, Old First Ward....and the quality has definitely taken a big step forward.  Even Flying Bison has gotten significantly better since the Saranac buyout.

But still, the overall quality leaves a bit to be desired.  Community Beer Works is, IMO, a legitimate "world class" brewery, and I don't use that term lightly.  There's a reason their IPA finished in 2nd place in a national contest last year, knocking out Racer 5, Founders Centennial, and Fat Heads IBUsive along the way.  But the rest of them....I'm hoping they step up their games a little bit.  Hamburg has a few that I really enjoy, but I recently had a Rye IPA from them and it was nearly a drainpour.  OFW is just okay.  Flying Bison may be my 2nd favorite local brewery these days.

Not surprising about the quality improving at FB - Tim always knew his way around a brewhouse, and some of his small batch brews were amazing; he was just hamstrung by capital.  He said "I have one week to pay my suppliers, they have one month to deliver, and the distributors have one month to pay me..." 

CBW does brew some excellent beer.  Hamburg is absolutely hit or miss.  Resurgence sounds a bit like the situation at Galaxy in Binghamton; trendy but the beer at Water Street is better crafted IMO.