search

Author Topic: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.  (Read 46030 times)

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
First burrs  :excited:

[img height=400]http://i.imgur.com/hwekOS1.jpg[/img

First burrs popped Saturday on the 2 Columbus... 3 weeks earlier than last year. I'm thinking double harvest :rock:
First burrs popped yesterday, way earlier than last year. :o:
[img width=600]http://i.imgur.com/ouCbOOR.jpg[/img
First burrs popped early this week, probably July 10-11th.
Slightly later this year since I harvested shoots longer than in previous years.
No pics, AIA.

Thinking i'll try for the staggered harvest (early & late) since everything at once was a bit much.
First burrs popped last week (July 4th). Just keeping track of the annual stats. :nerd:
Note to self: follow own advice above :deadbanana:

Have access to a vacuum sealer, so will go that route this year.

I guess this brings up my next question.  Now that I have flowers, when do I harvest them, and how?
Hop cones are generally considered ready once they feel papery and springy. After a month of growth, more or less.

Pick by hand, spread in a single layer on a screen with a fan blowing on them, turn once a day. Once dry, vac seal and freeze.
They are good for a year frozen. If brewing with fresh hops, they should be picked same day and go straight into the kettle.

It's still pretty early, you might be able to get 2 harvests. Does it look like new ones are still forming?

Yes, the bines are still spreading and maturing.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info

First burrs popped Saturday on the 2 Columbus... 3 weeks earlier than last year. I'm thinking double harvest :rock:
Slightly later this year since I harvested shoots longer than in previous years.
No pics, AIA.

Thinking i'll try for the staggered harvest (early & late) since everything at once was a bit much.
First burrs popped last week (July 4th). Just keeping track of the annual stats. :nerd:

I guess this brings up my next question.  Now that I have flowers, when do I harvest them, and how?
Hop cones are generally considered ready once they feel papery and springy. After a month of growth, more or less.

Pick by hand, spread in a single layer on a screen with a fan blowing on them, turn once a day. Once dry, vac seal and freeze.
They are good for a year frozen. If brewing with fresh hops, they should be picked same day and go straight into the kettle.

It's still pretty early, you might be able to get 2 harvests. Does it look like new ones are still forming?

Yes, the bines are still spreading and maturing.
Ok. They will eventually stop, and the ends will flower. By then you'll definitely have cones to harvest. Typically the lower cones mature first, then the ones at the end.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Tips yes, solutions no.  Your best chance is to try and get them to lay eggs in damp ground.

Release them at dusk or even dawn but NEVER in the high heat of day.  They want water more than food so make sure the plants you put them on are moist (use a spray bottle).  If there is water and aphids, they will happily cruise around and decimate your aphid problem...but then they will leave.  There are tricks online to try and get them to lay eggs. 

As great as ladybugs are at eating aphids, their larvae are 10x better.  First off, they don't fly so all they do is cruise the plant and eat aphids.  Just a couple of them on a plant will completely destroy your aphid problem.  They look like tiny little orange alligators.  If you have larvae in your yard, you won.
I’m pretty sure i’ve seen the larvae on the hops before, kind of spiky looking. Ideally i’d like to cultivate a colony that lives in & around the hops year round. Will likely get some to release and see how it goes.

The aphid issue only occurs late in the season, as the hops reach maturity. The problem is that the different varietals reach maturity at different times, so I can’t harvest all at once. Inevitably there are some that go past maturity and the aphids descend. Have to be more proactive this year and cut down as they’re ready.

I dumped some ladybugs in the garden, hopefully it's not too early to eat the aphids. Let them go at sunset and hosed the plants beforehand so they'd stick around a little while. Misted this morning too, and they were still happily climbing around. :fingerscrossed: 🐞🐞🐞

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.
« Reply #703 on: September 04, 2018, 12:36:53 PM »

Self randallized?
Tastes pretty nice, honeydew melon comes through.

It's this time of year again :ale:
Time to get a case of Hamms and start wet-hopping.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.
« Reply #704 on: September 05, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »
Picked up some Urquell instead, works well.

Dumped a few hundred ladybugs the other day, and saw a couple of them going at it today. :sex:

Larvae are apparently super aphid eaters, hoping the they stick around. It’s been pretty rainy, and they like moisture too. Trying to shake out the excess, this late in the season mold is a srs problem.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #705 on: September 24, 2018, 12:21:04 PM »
Long days at the Emerge Hopwreath Factory™ requires a few beers to stay sane. :ale:

This is a wet-hopped Hamms. After 15 min. it tasted like an IPA :thumbup:

Cranked out 6 of these over the weekend, planning to sell them at Dovetail's upcoming holiday market. :$:
Unfortunately, 3 that i'd made last week got left in a garbage bag, and they got moldy. :facepalm:

Still planning to dry and freeze some dry hops for adding to beers, smashing them in the glass works well.
Turns out even hoppier than our previous wet-hopped harvest ales, sadly.
Our buddy is looking into a pvc hop "pelletizer" that crushes them into little plugs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Long days at the Emerge Hopwreath Factory™ requires a few beers to stay sane. :ale:
Cranked out 6 of these over the weekend, planning to sell them at Dovetail's upcoming holiday market. :$:

Made a grand total of 21 wreaths this season. Ho ho f'in ho. :sumo:
Probably less than 10-12 oz. loose dried for brewing, but my buddy had a harvest this year too.
Still had enough for a couple indoor garlands.

Right now i'm just glad it's over, because harvesting stretched out over 3 weeks. :deadbanana:

Bearasd

• Trade Count: (0)
I mean, we doing it for fun and like a hobby, but please, do not forget that brewing includes chemical reactions that could harm you, your house and your family, so i repeat, please, be careful.One of my friends was trying to brew at home and to save money as well ( he was drinking gallons of beer since high school). So he decided to make a keg from an old broken refrigerator instead of buying one. Just go for https://foodplusice.com/best-kegerators-for-sale/ and you will find one. But the common way is not for him. As the result - he is in a hospital, wife moved away with kids as you can't leave in that house due to chemical leak.Was it worth it? Maybe, if you looking for divorce.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
I mean, we doing it for fun and like a hobby, but please, do not forget that brewing includes chemical reactions that could harm you, your house and your family, so i repeat, please, be careful.One of my friends was trying to brew at home and to save money as well ( he was drinking gallons of beer since high school). So he decided to make a keg from an old broken refrigerator instead of buying one. Just go for https://foodplusice.com/best-kegerators-for-sale/ and you will find one. But the common way is not for him. As the result - he is in a hospital, wife moved away with kids as you can't leave in that house due to chemical leak.Was it worth it? Maybe, if you looking for divorce.

lololol :lol: pretty weird way to sell kegerators. :dude:

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom

lololol :lol: pretty weird way to sell kegerators. :dude:

“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it

wow

this is kind of awesome
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

wow

this is kind of awesome
Homebrewing leads to DIY kegerator mishaps and potentially divorce, film at 11.
Wonder if they're aware that their handle is a decent pun? :unsure:

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel

broken refrigerators make the worst kegs

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Made a grand total of 21 wreaths this season. Ho ho f'in ho. :sumo:
Probably less than 10-12 oz. loose dried for brewing, but my buddy had a harvest this year too.
Still had enough for a couple indoor garlands.

Right now i'm just glad it's over, because harvesting stretched out over 3 weeks. :deadbanana:

Put up a few at Dovetail, and plan to sell some at their Holiday Market on Dec. 8th. :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Update: I made $300 :pickle: Spent it all on beer. :bag:

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
Update: I made $300 :pickle: Spent it all on beer. :bag:

:thumbup: 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

My latest creative endeavor. They didn't really sell. :kickrock:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Lousy smarch weather... can't wait for those shoots to start poppin. If only I could market them as an "artisanal foraged product". :coffee:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

wow

this is kind of awesome
Homebrewing leads to DIY kegerator mishaps and potentially divorce, film at 11.
Wonder if they're aware that their handle is a decent pun? :unsure:
Man, that one was a doozy :lol: :lol: :lol:
For no reason I googled the handle and got this page:

bearasd: I just me like have fun
About: Smokes Often with Prefer Not To Say body type
Marital Status   Widowed :o:
OMG you guys. It was a true story.
Also, this is my new motto in life: "I just me like have fun"

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Starting to get some shoots :excited:

Had a potted cutting from last year in the basement (kept in dormancy). Brought it up and splashed a little water on it, this morning it had 18" shoots all of a sudden.  :o: :sumo:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Pulled some muscles trying to cut back roots. :bakes: got a 1” thick section, a couple feet long. Wasn’t able to get the whole thing. It was headed for my neighbor’s yard. :unsure:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
2 down, 2 to go on the root pruning. Tenacious little fuckers. Dug this crown out completely, cut all the roots but there are huge 1.5” diameter ones under the concrete foundation of the deck that I couldn’t pull up. As long as I can get the ones headed for the neighbors lawn, i’m good. :unsure:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Pruned the 3rd one today, Severstad’s Willamette. Surprising how dense and hearty the roots were, had to bust out the tree pruner for a couple big ones (2” diameter). Can’t resist potting the rhizome cuttings that already have shoots, even if noone else wants them.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Root ball on the cascade was a friggin beast. Several 2” wide taproots.
Think i’m done digging in the dirt for awhile. :goodnight:

Got these new pruners for harvesting and garden stuff.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
The root pruning worked well to delay the explosive growth, had time to string everything later after I got back from the trip. Hoping they climb without too much attention.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
The root pruning worked well to delay the explosive growth, had time to string everything later after I got back from the trip. Hoping they climb without too much attention.

One of the Columbus is half the size of everything else, dinky as hell. Hope I didn't chop the roots too much. :sadbanana:
A leaf on the Willamette had these weird-ass spiky dead caterpillars on it, but it's healthy as can be. :shrug:

Also, in the spring I pawned off a bunch of root cuttings at Plant Shop and Gnome Brew. They were very happy to get them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:04:21 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

One of the Columbus is half the size of everything else, dinky as hell. Hope I didn't chop the roots too much. :sadbanana:
A leaf on the Willamette had these weird-ass spiky dead caterpillars on it, but it's healthy as can be. :shrug:

Also, in the spring I pawned off a bunch of root cuttings at Plant Shop and Gnome Brew. They were very happy to get them.
Still dinky. Should I add some blood meal or fertilizer? :popcorn:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Welp, now the bines of the biggest plant are dying at the crown, and the lower leaves are wilting. :cry:
Dunno what would cause this, but it's disheartening to see this late in the season.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

No pics, AIA.

First burrs already, consistent with other years. Last year was a week early.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Just gonna liberally sprinkle the forum with WI Foodie videos... :coffee:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Oddly there still aren't cones yet. Seems like the burrs have been popping for 3 weeks now. Hoping there will be some to harvest. :unsure::cry:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Oddly there still aren't cones yet. Seems like the burrs have been popping for 3 weeks now. Hoping there will be some to harvest. :unsure::cry:

Here's the latest. Both are Columbus, side by side. One has full size cones, the other are still baby size.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
Saturday was harvest/brew day. Hops were glorious this year.
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Saturday was harvest/brew day. Hops were glorious this year.

:excited: :thumbup:

Any pics? What did you use, Cascade?

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
The two pictured are Nugget and Centennial. Also had a Willamette. Brewed with Centennial.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Awesome! :cheers:
Hoping to start wet-hopping lagers DIY style in the next week or two. :ale:

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
Rock on. There's just something about brewing with wet hops that makes brew day even better.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
 :cheers:
Rock on. There's just something about brewing with wet hops that makes brew day even better.

I bet that kettle smelled glorious :cheers:

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
A bit disappointing but we're not even harvesting this year. We had a wicked storm that came through at the end of May and dumped golf ball sized hail. There was extensive damage to roofs and vehicles and etc and it just absolutely destroyed the plants.

A few started up again after that, but we took the opportunity to relocate some of our plants to new areas for next season.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
A bit disappointing but we're not even harvesting this year. We had a wicked storm that came through at the end of May and dumped golf ball sized hail. There was extensive damage to roofs and vehicles and etc and it just absolutely destroyed the plants.

A few started up again after that, but we took the opportunity to relocate some of our plants to new areas for next season.

Damn, that really sucks. Hope they thrive next year in the new spot.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #740 on: September 04, 2019, 10:21:09 AM »
Got a 12'er of Pony Pils, ready to fresh-hop any day now... the cones are still a little too moist.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #741 on: September 06, 2019, 09:52:43 AM »
Made a single cone hop tea, still too vegetal but I swear it somehow made me sleepy. :zzz:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #742 on: September 12, 2019, 09:24:07 AM »
Cranked out the first wreath of the season last night.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #743 on: September 25, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »

Annual shot of Sev's Willys. :rockzo:
Made 8 wreaths so far, come on sweet beer moneys.:$:

Also, I wet-hopped some Den Herberg oud lambiek and it was pretty good.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:40:53 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Late nights at the Sweejus Wreath Factory™, rain or shine. Here's #13-14 in progress.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Made 8 wreaths so far, come on sweet beer moneys.:$:

Sold 16 total, made even more :$: than last year. :pickle: :ale:

I'll get some nice fertilizer for the plants next season, they earned it. :D

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout