search

Author Topic: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.  (Read 46501 times)

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
Dude, they are doing you a favor.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Dude, they are doing you a favor.

This is war :comegetsome:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Got about 20 new shoots coming up off the Cascade plant so far. Also planted 3 cuttings from it at the inlaws place, and sent 3 more to my Charlotte NC buddy.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Got about 20 new shoots coming up off the Cascade plant so far. Also planted 3 cuttings from it at the inlaws place, and sent 3 more to my Charlotte NC buddy.

Make that 32 shoots, 12 more today :o

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.

:thumbup:
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
My babies are growing up. :cry:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

:thumbup:
I've got a good feeling about this one :beanstalk:

^those are looking pretty nice already...

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
RE: 1st year pruning

So all the articles I read say to select the strongest 2-3 bines and prune back the rest after they're a foot in length.
Last night I skimmed HBT and they were almost universally saying to leave them alone the 1st year and let them go wild.

This was after I already pruned back the big Cascade to 4 strong bines. From what I gather the root system is the most important thing to establish, seems like more nutrients to less bines is the way to do that. Any advice/opinions/insults/sage wisdom?

PS: The tall shoots don't taste as good when cooked as the newer ones :mellow: kinda stringy.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
It does not matter, you can not kill them.  Much like roaches, and Twinkies, I am sure that hops would survive a nuclear explosion unscathed.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
lol :lol:

Just came across this hop pillow article from an old site Squid posted awhile ago:
http://www.growinghopsyourself.com/uses-for-hops/hops-pillow-help-you-sleep/

Severstad> Were the cuttings you gave me last year Williamette? It looks very thin/spindly compared to the new Cascade/Columbus i've planted.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Weekly hop growing report:

One of the 1st year Columbus hit 4' already, and the big Cascade plant isn't far behind. :thumbup:

The Severstad one is getting a little more robust, putting out the little sidearms already.

Put some extra cuttings from the Cascade in a small area next to the garage, nothing yet, but I water it less due to it being in the alley practically. Just an experiment to see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:23:51 PM by emerge »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
The cuttings I got from coldchill didn't really grow.  They were near frozen when the arrived though I suppose. :shrug:

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

Just came across this hop pillow article from an old site Squid posted awhile ago:

Severstad> Were the cuttings you gave me last year Williamette? It looks very thin/spindly compared to the new Cascade/Columbus i've planted.

Yep, those are Willamette hops. Mine are growing close to a foot a day. Thick, bad-ass bines. I guess the 8-year-old plants will forevermore take over my yard each spring/summer.

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
The cuttings I got from coldchill didn't really grow.  They were near frozen when the arrived though I suppose. :shrug:

That sucks.  All of the other cuttings did well, I guess I'll have to send later when they are going to the great white north.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com

That sucks.  All of the other cuttings did well, I guess I'll have to send later when they are going to the great white north.

There is one with some small hope.  We'll see.  Thanks for sending them along either way.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Yep, those are Willamette hops. Mine are growing close to a foot a day. Thick, bad-ass bines. I guess the 8-year-old plants will forevermore take over my yard each spring/summer.
Thanks GB :thumbup:

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
So I need to start training the bines around a couple 6" square beams from the trellis they quickly outgrew... should I wrap twine around it to get them started? They don't seem to be climbing it on their own yet. Tallest one is around 7 ft. now.

I also crimped one by accident, though it seems to still be growing fine, just keeps falling back down though.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
So I need to start training the bines around a couple 6" square beams from the trellis they quickly outgrew... should I wrap twine around it to get them started? They don't seem to be climbing it on their own yet. Tallest one is around 7 ft. now.

I also crimped one by accident, though it seems to still be growing fine, just keeps falling back down though.

Wrapped twine around the beams, and they seem to be finding their way up. The broken bines put out a pair of side shoots that are climbing again.

It's been raining a fair bit and has been humid off and on... one of the Columbus is developing yellow leaves with brown rusty splotches :(
Probably will prune the lower leaves, it sounds like it might be treatable with a "compost tea" :confused:

Anyone else experience this?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Yellowed leaves fell off the bottom 1/3 of the bine eventually, but new leaves are growing behind them, so i'm not worried. Also I learned that Williamette is pronounced "Wil-LAM-ette" not "William-ette".

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Yellowed leaves fell off the bottom 1/3 of the bine eventually, but new leaves are growing behind them, so i'm not worried. Also I learned that Williamette is pronounced "Wil-LAM-ette" not "William-ette".

Duh!      :slap:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Duh!      :slap:
Rhymes with "Can it, Janet" :P

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Spent about 1/2 hour today trying to get the Cascade trained up to the 2nd story deck.

Even with twine wrapped around it, the 4x4 beams are too wide for it to climb on it's own, and it was getting heavy and drooping back down. It got too high for me to wrap around manually, but I eventually got it hooked up there using a broom.

The sidewinders are getting long, so I just twisted those around the main bines.

Thinking of other ideas for next year, maybe a grid-like loose netting or something to form a canopy.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Preserving Hop Garlands
« Reply #475 on: July 22, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to preserve hop garlands to decorate with?

They look pretty cool, i've mostly seen photos of them in bars in Europe.

I found this article which is for flower garlands, but basically it involves a long soak in a glycerine solution. Another article on how to preserve leaves and branches.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
First burrs  :excited:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
First hops :excited:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
While I was looking to buy some glycerin to preserve hop garlands, I came across a site that also sold Hop Union Citra pellets for just under $24/lb. if anyone is looking. (leaf hops for $20.40/lb.)
Not sure if that's a good price, but it seems like Citra is sold out wherever hops are sold.

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
My bines are covered in hops, not sure what I'm going to do with them though.  :cry:

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
My bines are covered in hops, not sure what I'm going to do with them though.  :cry:
You could make some hop pillows or wreaths :mellow: maybe hop tea?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Preserving Hop Garlands
« Reply #481 on: August 25, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to preserve hop garlands to decorate with?

I found this article which is for flower garlands, but basically it involves a long soak in a glycerine solution. Another article on how to preserve leaves and branches.

I just found this much better link on how to preserve hop bines.

Basically they use an ideal 1:4 ratio of glycerin to water, cut the bine at the root crown, and immediately put it into the preservative solution outdoors.

The theory behind this is leaving it in place to preserve the xylem in the plant, so it uptakes the solution fastest. Cutting it down, and moving it can put kinks in it or negatively effect the plant's xylem, plus it delays the time before it goes into the solution. The uptake time takes 48 hours, and drying time is 5-7 days.

Going to give this method a whirl, and see how it goes. Seems like the way to go if they applied for a patent on it :thumbup:
Plus it doesn't seem as messy as trying to submerse entire bines in solution indoors in a plastic tub or something. Yay, SCIENCE :hack:

edit: Found a cheap, local source for vegetable glycerin. Got it for $12.50/gallon instead of $7.50/8 oz. it would cost at Walgreens :blink:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:07:46 PM by emerge »

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Very interesting ...    :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Have 2 bines in the solution already, should be all good to dry by tomorrow night. Cutting them felt wrong, but they were still green this morning. Wait & see :popcorn:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Welp, it didn't turn out so great :sadbanana:
The leaves are an odd brownish green color, but the hops are still pretty light green.

There were a few variables that could have done this, I didn't use any dye in the solution, and I didn't cut it at the root crown (cut 2" above ground). Also, I put a couple rocks in the bucket to hold them down, which may have caused contamination from dirt, but I doubt it. The submersion method actually says to use rocks to hold it down.

Kind of a bummer since it was the best looking one, but I'll try the submersion method next and see if I get better results.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
Re: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.
« Reply #485 on: September 02, 2014, 12:03:21 PM »
Try Round Up instead :hot:

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
Re: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.
« Reply #486 on: September 02, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
The leaves are an odd brownish green color, but the hops are still pretty light green.

There were a few variables that could have done this, I didn't use any dye in the solution, and I didn't cut it at the root crown (cut 2" above ground). Also, I put a couple rocks in the bucket to hold them down, which may have caused contamination from dirt, but I doubt it. The submersion method actually says to use rocks to hold it down.

Kind of a bummer since it was the best looking one, but I'll try the submersion method next and see if I get better results.
I have a bottle of "Never Say Dye" plant preservative at work.  Not sure how old it is, and can't find it online, but it says keeps plants color, and preserves them.   Here are some more options. http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Plant-Life-Preservative-C1599.aspx

And if you want hops, you are welcome to cut down any of mine.  Just bring a U-haul.   

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #487 on: September 02, 2014, 12:38:55 PM »

I have a bottle of "Never Say Dye" plant preservative at work.  Not sure how old it is, and can't find it online, but it says keeps plants color, and preserves them.   Here are some more options. http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Plant-Life-Preservative-C1599.aspx

And if you want hops, you are welcome to cut down any of mine.  Just bring a U-haul.
Thanks for that link, wonder if it's just dyed veg. glycerine though. Still have 1/2 gallon left to try out on another unsuspecting hop bine. I've got 6 left, only killed 2 with the 1st experiment.

:pics:

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #488 on: September 02, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »

Thanks for that link, wonder if it's just dyed veg. glycerine though. Still have 1/2 gallon left to try out on another unsuspecting hop bine. I've got 6 left, only killed 2 with the 1st experiment.

If it is supposed to get absorbed into thru the xylem then you might want to make a slit from the base where you cut the plant of the rootstock up about 3 inches so the xylem doesn't clot. 

Sorry I only have a teaser on my phone

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #489 on: September 02, 2014, 01:48:11 PM »

If it is supposed to get absorbed into thru the xylem then you might want to make a slit from the base where you cut the plant of the rootstock up about 3 inches so the xylem doesn't clot. 

Sorry I only have a teaser on my phone

Nice hops :thumbup:

Never thought of that, but that's probably what happened the first time. I used garden shears to make a diagonal cut, and the things aren't new but my wife swears "they're sharp".

For the submersion method, it says to lightly crush the ends with a hammer before putting in the solution. Will try the 3" slit instead.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #490 on: September 02, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »

Nice hops :thumbup:

Never thought of that, but that's probably what happened the first time. I used garden shears to make a diagonal cut, and the things aren't new but my wife swears "they're sharp".

For the submersion method, it says to lightly crush the ends with a hammer before putting in the solution. Will try the 3" slit instead.

Yeah that just pisses it off.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #491 on: September 09, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
Still looking for a suitable container to soak the bines in, thought I had one of those long plastic bins, but only have tubs that are 3 ft max.

<edit> Might try the method above again, but with a 1:2 solution, and cut the bine close to the crown, with the 3" slit as rhoadsrage mentioned.

Other project is making hop pillows, drying my first batch on a screen in the garage. Target has small mesh laundry bags for a couple bucks, so I'll stuff one with cascades and have sweet hop dreams.

Also just planted some clippings that sprung roots in water, just to get them in the ground for next year. Inlaws' rhizomes didn't take, so hopefully I can transplant some healthy ones in he spring.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:28:46 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #492 on: September 09, 2014, 10:22:04 PM »
Just literally wrangled some hops :deadbanana:
After harvesting some Cascade yesterday, the plant was starting to look slightly dry, and I figured it was now or never.

Figured i'd try the submersion method to preserve a bine, since I haven't tried it yet. Used a 10 gal. roughneck bin, seemed to be just the right size. Did the 1:2 ratio solution, added green food coloring, and cut it close to the crown. Also did the 3" slit on one but couldn't find the other one once it was submerged. Slit one of the clipped top ends for good measure, although I don't think plants work that way :bag:

Will report back with findings of course :cheers:
If this works, i'll probably try to reuse the solution to see what happens.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #493 on: September 09, 2014, 11:01:31 PM »

Update? :popcorn:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #494 on: September 12, 2014, 12:09:11 PM »
So, I finally tried a few of the alternative hop uses I posted. Hop pillow, hop tea, dry-hopped/teabagged beer.

Idk if the pillow really works, but it was fun to randomly smell dank hops throughout the night.

The tea tasted pretty good actually, better than the beer (Cascade in a Daisy Cutter), which was hard to differentiate any "addition" besides the last sip that was much more bitter. I've got a little tea strainer that worked well, eliminating the need to fill teabags. Would be fun to experiment with a blend, adding citrus peel, etc.

Harvested about 2-3 lbs. wet cones from the 2 Columbus so far. It's been pretty rainy and cool this past week, unfortunately this means downy mildew/black spots on some cones, which was a PITA to sort through and toss them out individually. Hoping to just have enough to brew a batch with a friend at some point, should have roughly 10 oz. dry hopefully.

The alley Cascade I put in late is taking off, probably 20 ft. now and arching over the garage door which is nice. Not expecting any cones this late in the game.

Edit: 9/15 Peeked at the bines soaking in the solution, still bright green :thumbup:
Will probably leave it in another day or 2, then cut down another one to soak.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:05:36 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #495 on: September 18, 2014, 10:39:57 PM »
Drying the first bine after soaking a week+ in solution. Final thought is that it's a waste of time.
Looks like dogshit compared to a fresh dried hop bine, but will still have to wait a week or two until it dries completely.
Color is a really dark green, kind of slimy. Can't say I didn't try, but this was frustrating to say the least.

I feel like a hop killer :cry:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #496 on: September 21, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Hop Shoots: The World’s Most Expensive Vegetable

Interesting little article, though they don't say what the market price is...

According to hopshoots.com, a top supplier of hop shoots in the U.K., the first hop shoots of the year sold by auction can reach almost 1,000 euro per kilogram, or about $1,250 per 2.2 pounds. Source
Damn, $568/lb.

Has anyone else tried cooking their hop shoots in the spring?
I'll try blanching them next year, sauteed them in butter and they tasted basically like asparagus.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:29:38 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Preserving decorative hop bines
« Reply #498 on: October 08, 2014, 08:20:34 PM »
Drying the first bine after soaking a week+ in solution. Final thought is that it's a waste of time.
Looks like dogshit compared to a fresh dried hop bine, but will still have to wait a week or two until it dries completely.
Color is a really dark green, kind of slimy. Can't say I didn't try, but this was frustrating to say the least.

I feel like a hop killer :cry:

After drying and trimming all the junk off, they turned out ok. Some of the hops are still green at least.

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

Update? :popcorn:

Still on the bines...

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral