search

Author Topic: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.  (Read 45823 times)

Offline t0rin0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
  • Goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeee Little Baby.
    • Beers sampled
It's rough living in sunny southern California, although the weird winter this year tricked my hops into flowering early. Oddly enough after they started putting out laterals (in late April) they kept growing up, another 10 feet even. Should have some fresh hop beers ready by August at this rate.

Respect the badge
He earned it with his blood
Fear the gun
Your sentence may be death because...

Offline pwoods

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
It's rough living in sunny southern California, although the weird winter this year tricked my hops into flowering early. Oddly enough after they started putting out laterals (in late April) they kept growing up, another 10 feet even. Should have some fresh hop beers ready by August at this rate.

:slap:

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
Out of curiosity, how do you harvest that?
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline t0rin0

• Pale Ale
    • Beers sampled

If you're talking to me I use a smaller step ladder. Last year was awesome since I just picked the hops without cutting the vine down and new flowers formed. I harvested three times and finally cut the vines down in late November.
Respect the badge
Fear the gun

Offline skinnyguy

• Pale Ale

If you're talking to me I use a smaller step ladder. Last year was awesome since I just picked the hops without cutting the vine down and new flowers formed. I harvested three times and finally cut the vines down in late November.

Awesome!

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
Very nice!  The last 3 days have been in the mid/high 80s and I think my hops have grown probably 6 inches in that time.   :o

They (along with everything else) had been creeping along until this week and have now taken off.  Going to use lattice in the railing on the deck I'm building, and on the high end where it will be covered, am going to move these hops too.  Do they just climb right up your lattice or do you have twine in there somewhere?

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
I am just letting them roam free on the lattice with some random training to try to keep them from climbing all over each other.

Offline skinnyguy

• Pale Ale
Very nice!  The last 3 days have been in the mid/high 80s and I think my hops have grown probably 6 inches in that time.   :o

They (along with everything else) had been creeping along until this week and have now taken off.  Going to use lattice in the railing on the deck I'm building, and on the high end where it will be covered, am going to move these hops too.  Do they just climb right up your lattice or do you have twine in there somewhere?

I didn't use any twine in the lattice I used, but once they reached the top, I ran some horizontal twine and had to train them onto that. Without the twine, they started wrapping around each other, and then would eventually sag and break.

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

I didn't use any twine in the lattice I used, but once they reached the top, I ran some horizontal twine and had to train them onto that. Without the twine, they started wrapping around each other, and then would eventually sag and break.

The bines would sag and break, or the lattice?

At this point in life, they won't be harvested, purely ornamental, so I'm not real worried about the bines breaking.

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline skinnyguy

• Pale Ale

At this point in life, they won't be harvested, purely ornamental, so I'm not real worried about the bines breaking.

The bines themselves snapped.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Just a pipedream at this point, but will have some space to grow pretty soon... got a couple n00b questions.

Wondering if a rhizome is needed to get started, or can you start with a clipping? These will be purely decorative. Thinking of having a 2nd story deck planter running them down to the 1st story. Figured gravity would do it's thing... is twine necessary? 

Offline skinnyguy

• Pale Ale
Just a pipedream at this point, but will have some space to grow pretty soon... got a couple n00b questions.

Wondering if a rhizome is needed to get started, or can you start with a clipping? These will be purely decorative. Thinking of having a 2nd story deck planter running them down to the 1st story. Figured gravity would do it's thing... is twine necessary?

Need a rhizome, which is a root cutting. So if you know someone who has a good root structure developed, they can make you a rhizome.

I have a couple growing in pots, and they are doing very well. One didn't survive the winter, but I left them out the whole season (and we're in Minnesota). Get a big pot, as the roots need a lot of space.

The bines want to go up, so twine is good. I would start them on the 1st story, and run your twine up to the 2nd story. The bines die every year, so it's nice to be able to cut down the twine. The roots are a perennial, but the bines are annual.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Need a rhizome, which is a root cutting. So if you know someone who has a good root structure developed, they can make you a rhizome.

I have a couple growing in pots, and they are doing very well. One didn't survive the winter, but I left them out the whole season (and we're in Minnesota). Get a big pot, as the roots need a lot of space.

The bines want to go up, so twine is good. I would start them on the 1st story, and run your twine up to the 2nd story. The bines die every year, so it's nice to be able to cut down the twine. The roots are a perennial, but the bines are annual.
Cool, thanks for the info :cheers:
I do know someone that grows hops in WI, but am wondering if a big homebrew shop might sell rhizomes with less hassle.

Offline skinnyguy

• Pale Ale

Cool, thanks for the info :cheers:
I do know someone that grows hops in WI, but am wondering if a big homebrew shop might sell rhizomes with less hassle.

I think just about all of the homebrew shops are done taking and fulfilling orders. Most had theirs shipped out a couple months ago. Freshops.com still has some for sale though- http://www.freshops.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=RHIZ.

Offline t0rin0

• Pale Ale
    • Beers sampled

Most of mine are from cuttings. I had 2 rhizomes a couple years ago and as I'd trim the plants I would just stick the cuttings into the ground. Now I've got a dozen plants. Without roots of course they'll need a lot more water. I've gotten about 30-40% survival rate from cuttings. I even mailed a bag full of cuttings to a trading partner in TX and she had 3 or 4 survive. These are Cascade so I'm not sure how other strains would do. The sweet spot seems to be a cutting between 6-12 inches. You can also keep them alive and happy in water with some of that cloning stuff that encourages root growth. And that whole thing about not putting cuttings in the ground in the middle of the year because the sun will bake the leaves, doesnt seem to apply to hops like it does with grapes.

Most homebrew stores will get rhizomes but they're sold in March. If you find one now there's no reason that it wont grow. It just wont get to full size before the winter, not that it would anyway in its first year.

No matter where you grow them they always like to grow up. If you let them hang down that's fine but they'll keep turning up and when they get too long they'll fall down. Once they reach the bottom they'll start growing back up and wrapping around themselves. Not a big deal. A mature plant (more than a year or two old) will put out vines that get to about 30 feet.
Respect the badge
Fear the gun

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Most of mine are from cuttings. I had 2 rhizomes a couple years ago and as I'd trim the plants I would just stick the cuttings into the ground. Now I've got a dozen plants. Without roots of course they'll need a lot more water. I've gotten about 30-40% survival rate from cuttings. I even mailed a bag full of cuttings to a trading partner in TX and she had 3 or 4 survive. These are Cascade so I'm not sure how other strains would do. The sweet spot seems to be a cutting between 6-12 inches. You can also keep them alive and happy in water with some of that cloning stuff that encourages root growth. And that whole thing about not putting cuttings in the ground in the middle of the year because the sun will bake the leaves, doesnt seem to apply to hops like it does with grapes.

Most homebrew stores will get rhizomes but they're sold in March. If you find one now there's no reason that it wont grow. It just wont get to full size before the winter, not that it would anyway in its first year.

No matter where you grow them they always like to grow up. If you let them hang down that's fine but they'll keep turning up and when they get too long they'll fall down. Once they reach the bottom they'll start growing back up and wrapping around themselves. Not a big deal. A mature plant (more than a year or two old) will put out vines that get to about 30 feet.
Cool, thanks for the firsthand info. I may try to order a rhizome first, and failing that will ask buddy for a cutting from their root structure. Will post pics here eventually once we get growing :cheers:

Offline t0rin0

• Pale Ale
    • Beers sampled
Cool, thanks for the firsthand info. I may try to order a rhizome first, and failing that will ask buddy for a cutting from their root structure. Will post pics here eventually once we get growing :cheers:

If you get cuttings get a bunch, not just one. Once the rhizomes are established they'll put up dozens of shoots at the same time that constantly need to be trimmed so getting 4 or 5 dozen cuttings shouldnt be an issue. Also, if you have a pot or two that you can leave inside until next spring you can plant them now. Not sure if the airlines will let me do it but I can bring you a big bag of cuttings when I fly to Chicago for GTMW.
Respect the badge
Fear the gun

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

If you get cuttings get a bunch, not just one. Once the rhizomes are established they'll put up dozens of shoots at the same time that constantly need to be trimmed so getting 4 or 5 dozen cuttings shouldnt be an issue. Also, if you have a pot or two that you can leave inside until next spring you can plant them now. Not sure if the airlines will let me do it but I can bring you a big bag of cuttings when I fly to Chicago for GTMW.

;D Thanks for the offer, I should be able to get some locally and started before then though.
See you at the GT :thumbup:

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
My old man has a Cascade plant that is now going on 3 years old atleast.  Thing gets mutantly large by late summer.  He planted a Centennial as well this year so we'll prolly have to wait on those until next season.
“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

I'm assuming you mean they snapped at the top, or lower?

Offline skinnyguy

• Pale Ale

They snapped at the point where they sagged over the lattice (at the upper end of the curve). The bines in the lattice aren't going anywhere. Once they hit the top, they started growing up the side of the garage, and wrapped around each other. But with nothing to grab on to on the garage wall, they eventually slid down and snapped right at the top of the lattice. The horizontal twine helped a lot, and is now supporting a ton of bines and their laterals. If you have something above the lattice, you could run your twin vertically, which would allow a lot more growth.

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

They snapped at the point where they sagged over the lattice (at the upper end of the curve). The bines in the lattice aren't going anywhere. Once they hit the top, they started growing up the side of the garage, and wrapped around each other. But with nothing to grab on to on the garage wall, they eventually slid down and snapped right at the top of the lattice. The horizontal twine helped a lot, and is now supporting a ton of bines and their laterals. If you have something above the lattice, you could run your twin vertically, which would allow a lot more growth.

Gotcha, thanks

Still debating if we're going to go the pergola (sp?) route for the covered part of the deck or go with a steel roof, so that will have a big impact obviously what we do with the bines when they get to the top of the lattice.  Won't have to worry about it until next summer though, so I have plenty of time to weigh my options.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
This can't be good, right?

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
This can't be good, right?

Not unless you like creepy crawlies in your beer.

:puke:

Offline wolffman

• Quadrupel
Houston, Texas. Backyard Cascades are doing well!

Offline Squid

• Double IPA
  • Calamari

;D Thanks for the offer, I should be able to get some locally and started before then though.

Matt, we have mature Willamettes, and you are more than welcome to some rhizomes from us. In fact, a neighbor got rid of his Willamettes and another variety (Cascade? can't remember), so Sev planted all those in our yard, too. We are overloaded. Let us know. Anyone else, too.
"I think my meat is bad." - Urbanhack

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com

Matt, we have mature Willamettes, and you are more than welcome to some rhizomes from us. In fact, a neighbor got rid of his Willamettes and another variety (Cascade? can't remember), so Sev planted all those in our yard, too. We are overloaded. Let us know. Anyone else, too.

I'll take some Cascade if you have any.  Not a huge fan of Willamettes. :shrug:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Thanks! :excited: They'd be purely decorative, so the variety is no problem.
Is it still ok to plant a rhizome and it'll survive the winter?

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
I am sure it will, those fuckers do not die  (no matter how much I neglect them)

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
P.S. isn't there a language filter here?

shit, cock, balls

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
:thumbup:

blumpkin cockgoblin donkeypuncher :excited:

Offline Squid

• Double IPA
  • Calamari

Not this year, but maybe next. We just got them in this season, no cones and not very tall. Yet.

Matt, couldn't tell you if they'd survive or not. They're hardy effers, that's for sure, but we've never tried planting them this late. We have plenty so it's not a problem to try some now, then more in the spring if these don't take. We'll be seeing you in a month anyway  :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.
« Reply #383 on: September 05, 2012, 09:38:34 AM »

Not this year, but maybe next. We just got them in this season, no cones and not very tall. Yet.

Matt, couldn't tell you if they'd survive or not. They're hardy effers, that's for sure, but we've never tried planting them this late. We have plenty so it's not a problem to try some now, then more in the spring if these don't take. We'll be seeing you in a month anyway  :cheers:
Cool, thanks :thumbup: Might as well give it a try...

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Re: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.
« Reply #384 on: September 12, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »
Lunch run today: bringing several pounds of freshly picked hops to Titletown to add to their fresh hop brew. Cool that they ask the community to participate. I'll get a couple pints for my efforts.

:ale:

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #385 on: September 13, 2012, 12:59:13 AM »
Would now or in the spring be a better time to move mine to a different location?

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #386 on: September 13, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
Would now or in the spring be a better time to move mine to a different location?

I vote spring.

Offline Squid

• Double IPA
  • Calamari
« Reply #387 on: September 13, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »

I vote spring.

Seconded.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
These ####### just will not die...

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
P.S. and they really spread out this year...

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Wonder if mine sprouted yet? Really need to get the planter built so I can move them...

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
I had a couple of bines 12"-18" tall before I left for Savannah.  I figured I had a couple of weeks to restring the trellis, but when I got home 5 days later, one of the bines had grown up the old twine above eye level.
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline JerseyToughGuys

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
After spending the last 3 weeks getting my yard in shape, thinking about using hops as ground cover on a slope in my backyard.

Twine trellis on a 45 degree angle.

Thoughts? Will this work?

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
After spending the last 3 weeks getting my yard in shape, thinking about using hops as ground cover on a slope in my backyard.

Twine trellis on a 45 degree angle.

Thoughts? Will this work?

Don't see why it wouldn't, but not sure.

Anybody have any good ideas/plans for planters to go on the ground around a deck? Want to block the concrete footings from view, and need to get my hops moved.

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Posted this on FB but thought I would share here too.  This picture was taken about an hour ago.  You can see the top of the 9 foot trellis at the top in the background (with bird shit on it  <_< )  Looks like a pretty good crop.

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Damn you and your climate! Mine are about 2 feet tall at this point.

On a side note, too late to move them this summer?

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

I would say go ahead, you can't kill the damn things except that I did manage to kill of my Willamettes.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA

I would say go ahead, you can't kill the damn things except that I did manage to kill of my Willamettes.

I have been trying to kill mine for years, they just won't die.

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

I have been trying to kill mine for years, they just won't die.

:lol: I was patiently awaiting your comments.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
I have not even hung my trellis yet... damned hops have nearly taken over my deck as a result... and are going to take over the neighbor's deck any day now.