Beer Discussion > Homebrewing

Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.

<< < (3/165) > >>

d00d:

--- Quote from: Polsonov on February 07, 2009, 02:45:46 PM ---I'm really considering trying to grow some hops this year, and i've got a few questions...

* Do certain types grow better in certain climates than others?
* What is the length of time it takes for them to grow?
* What kind of care do they need other than constant watering?
Any recomnendations as to what to grow would be great.  I would like to brew a pilsner and a pale ale or ipa. 

--- End quote ---

My first attempt was a dismal failure in Memphis, TN.  Basically the hops were bug food.  Most areas of the country have downy mildew fungus which is why the hop growers kept moving west.  They seem to thrive in Yakima WA and some areas of Oregon.  I don't know if you're too far north or not.  They grow up to 18' high depending on the variety so you want a good trellis system.  Dig a deep hole and fill it with manure or your favorite potting soil.  When they start growing, they grow fast - I've heard of growth of one foot a day or more.

They should start selling rhizomes soon.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.3/montell.html

smellysell:
Would I have to replant them every year or will they come back after things thaw out?

:knowsnothingabouthorticulture:

Pols:

--- Quote from: d00d on February 07, 2009, 03:38:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: Polsonov on February 07, 2009, 02:45:46 PM ---I'm really considering trying to grow some hops this year, and i've got a few questions...

* Do certain types grow better in certain climates than others?
* What is the length of time it takes for them to grow?
* What kind of care do they need other than constant watering?
Any recomnendations as to what to grow would be great.  I would like to brew a pilsner and a pale ale or ipa. 

--- End quote ---

My first attempt was a dismal failure in Memphis, TN.  Basically the hops were bug food.  Most areas of the country have downy mildew fungus which is why the hop growers kept moving west.  They seem to thrive in Yakima WA and some areas of Oregon.  I don't know if you're too far north or not.  They grow up to 18' high depending on the variety so you want a good trellis system.  Dig a deep hole and fill it with manure or your favorite potting soil.  When they start growing, they grow fast - I've heard of growth of one foot a day or more.

They should start selling rhizomes soon.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.3/montell.html

--- End quote ---

Climate shouldn't be a problem.  Washington and Southern BC (where I live) have compareable climates.  18' high is pretty effin' high, but seeing as I own a lumber mill, I could make a trellis system happen pretty easily and cheap.

heckmanm:

--- Quote from: smellysell on February 07, 2009, 08:09:02 PM ---Would I have to replant them every year or will they come back after things thaw out?

:knowsnothingabouthorticulture:

--- End quote ---

They'll come back, usually with more/thicker bines than before.

JJ:
I was going to grow hops this year as well but I realized I don't have anywhere with full sun that can have a trellis tall enough. What about an eastern exposure that gets morning sun? On the plus side, it would be out of the sun during the hottest time of summer days. Is this an option?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version