search

Author Topic: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.  (Read 45825 times)

Offline culdeus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
Planted cascade and centennial rhyzomes.  We'll see how this goes.

Culdeus - 298
Gator - 284

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
You'll probably be able to harvest just enough for a batch or two next year depending on how many rhyzomes you have and where etc..

I tried to do this 2 years ago, but I planted them in an area that is mostly shaded, they never took off, my bil planted some cascade last year and had about a handfull of hops he could have used, we expect more this year..

Good luck, I would love to brew a beer with hops I grew.

Offline MikeWeiss

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • IPA
Been thinking about growing some of my own hops too, but I live in an apartment, so that won't exactly work right now.
"Well then get an AIDS test Thompson, cause your wife's a dude" - Mr. Garrison

"Once you jack off to Japanese girls puking in each other's mouths you can't exactly go back to Playboy." - Randy Marsh

Offline Kegergator

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Geuze
  • Your mom does
Been thinking about growing some of my own hops too, but I live in an apartment, so that won't exactly work right now.

Set your closet up like this>

Everyone wants people they like to be right, that's why popular people are fucking dumb.

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
Can you grow hops in the tropics or rain forests?

i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline MikeWeiss

• TBS Founding Member
  • IPA

Set your closet up like this>

Their vines though, not sure how that would work indoors.
"Well then get an AIDS test Thompson, cause your wife's a dude" - Mr. Garrison

"Once you jack off to Japanese girls puking in each other's mouths you can't exactly go back to Playboy." - Randy Marsh

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
I have Liberty growing that are already about 7 feet tall growing up the twine.  This is my 4th year, I think.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline Kathleen

• Miss Smooth
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
If tethered to a building, will hops grow and attach like ivy? 

Offline culdeus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
both mine have sprouted and are being aided by a tomato cage.  I'll probably regret this later when I have to convince them to go up the side of my garage.

Culdeus - 298
Gator - 284

Offline Pols

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • haters get the gas face
I'm really considering trying to grow some hops this year, and i've got a few questions...

• Do certain types grow better in certain climates than others?
  • What is the length of time it takes for them to grow?
  • What kind of care do they need other than constant watering?

Any recomnendations as to what to grow would be great.  I would like to brew a pilsner and a pale ale or ipa. 

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
I'm really considering trying to grow some hops this year, and i've got a few questions...

Any recomnendations as to what to grow would be great.  I would like to brew a pilsner and a pale ale or ipa. 

My first attempt was a dismal failure in Memphis, TN.  Basically the hops were bug food.  Most areas of the country have downy mildew fungus which is why the hop growers kept moving west.  They seem to thrive in Yakima WA and some areas of Oregon.  I don't know if you're too far north or not.  They grow up to 18' high depending on the variety so you want a good trellis system.  Dig a deep hole and fill it with manure or your favorite potting soil.  When they start growing, they grow fast - I've heard of growth of one foot a day or more.

They should start selling rhizomes soon.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.3/montell.html

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
Would I have to replant them every year or will they come back after things thaw out?

:knowsnothingabouthorticulture:

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Pols

• Old Ale
  • haters get the gas face

My first attempt was a dismal failure in Memphis, TN.  Basically the hops were bug food.  Most areas of the country have downy mildew fungus which is why the hop growers kept moving west.  They seem to thrive in Yakima WA and some areas of Oregon.  I don't know if you're too far north or not.  They grow up to 18' high depending on the variety so you want a good trellis system.  Dig a deep hole and fill it with manure or your favorite potting soil.  When they start growing, they grow fast - I've heard of growth of one foot a day or more.

They should start selling rhizomes soon.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.3/montell.html

Climate shouldn't be a problem.  Washington and Southern BC (where I live) have compareable climates.  18' high is pretty effin' high, but seeing as I own a lumber mill, I could make a trellis system happen pretty easily and cheap.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
Would I have to replant them every year or will they come back after things thaw out?

They'll come back, usually with more/thicker bines than before.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
I was going to grow hops this year as well but I realized I don't have anywhere with full sun that can have a trellis tall enough. What about an eastern exposure that gets morning sun? On the plus side, it would be out of the sun during the hottest time of summer days. Is this an option?
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline culdeus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel

They'll come back, usually with more/thicker bines than before.

mine have vanished, but I have hope they'll come back.  If they don't I'll just put roses there. 

Culdeus - 298
Gator - 284

Offline Homerbag

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
    • Some of the best Bengal Cats in the world
I just ordered me some rhizomes from fresh hops yesterday. 3 each of cascade and nugget. I got inspired by the BYO article on how to do it. Those are the two varieties I use the most, hopefully I don't kill them like I do most things.

Offline masterchief

• Surly Head Brewer
  • Pale Ale
Our hop shoots are coming up already :pickle:
Willamette.

Offline Squid

• Double IPA
  • Calamari
we have willamette. the buddy severstad homebrews with gave us some cuttings from his rhizomes. his clump is a monster. it's actually more than one clump, as it's migrating underground now. he had to build a two-story platform to support it, then they swing out and grow up his patio awning onto the second story of his house and up his roof.

we planted the couple-inch piece of rhizome on the southern size of our house, against the metal fence that blocks the yard from the driveway. it gets afternoon sun, but is blocked in the morning by our mature maple trees and garage. some of the afternoon sun gets blocked by our neighbors' house, but it obviously gets enough. we've not had any problems with pests or diseases. i think this will be the 5th yr we have them.

yr 1= planted, grew just a hair
yr 2 = grew up the fence and fanned across that section (between 3-4 ft high and 6 ft long section of fence), got 1 one-gallon bag of hops i think
yr 3 = covered the fence section, climbed up the tall shepherd's hook at the end of it and then across the clothesline severstad ran over to the garage. he put some nails into the gable of the garage for them to grow up, and they started. gangbusters on the cones. severstad gave a grocery bag of hops to ... ?
yr 4 (last summer) = smothered the fence, enveloped the shepherd's hook (up and down), enclosed the clotheslines (run in two directions) and the gap between them, went all the way up and down the gable of the garage and sent off shoots to double and triple-thicken those main vines, went back almost all the way the length of the garage from the second clothesline and triple-thickened those vines. severstad gave away a bunch of bags to titletown for their wet hop batch, maybe some to other places. we have about 6-dozen gallon bags of them in the freezer.

other than twining the hops vines every day in the direction we want them to go, and watering once a week maybe ... we offer no care. they grow despite/to spite us. and the cones are massive. and yes, they grow so quickly you can almost see them doing it; we can measure several inches each day.
"I think my meat is bad." - Urbanhack

Offline culdeus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
Mine are coming back.  The early leaves got a touch of the frost and look a little burned, but the sucker is growing almost in real time now.  Have to train it every day. 

Culdeus - 298
Gator - 284

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
My rhizomes just came in the mail. . .unfortunately they will have to wait to be planted since we just got hit with a big wet snow storm.

I've never been so excited about a plant. . .seriously. . this like a dozen roses to a homebrewer. .

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
My rhizomes just came in the mail. . .unfortunately they will have to wait to be planted since we just got hit with a big wet snow storm.

I've never been so excited about a plant. . .seriously. . this like a dozen roses to a homebrewer. .

Since winter won't release her cold grip, should I plant these in a planter now and transfer them in June?? How long will they be safe in the fridge in thier moist bag.

I've never grown any plant before so any insight is appreciated with these.

Offline culdeus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
Really frost only affects the leaves, not the roots right?

:texas:

Culdeus - 298
Gator - 284

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
Homer, check out www.homebrewtalk.com

There is a whole Hops Growing forum over there.

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline masterchief

• Surly Head Brewer
  • Pale Ale

Since winter won't release her cold grip, should I plant these in a planter now and transfer them in June?? How long will they be safe in the fridge in thier moist bag.

The rhizomes will be fine in the bag, in the fridge for a good long while.Plant em in may and you should be fine.

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull

The rhizomes will be fine in the bag, in the fridge for a good long while.Plant em in may and you should be fine.

Good, thats the same response I got from the guys at fresh hops. They said to monitor for mold, wash it off if it appears but, it should be fine until the end of May.

It might be done snowing here by then.

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
Question for you that have purchased hops rhizomes??

I was looking over the rhizomes in the fridge yesterday to inspect for any mold or bugs. When I looked at the cascades, there where three stems like I ordered. But, when I was looking over the nuggets, there are six separate stems. I only ordered three.

Did I get a double order or do I plant this variety two to a mound??

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
Had a message from the LHBS...

Rhizome delivery!!!!
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
Two vines popping out of the soil now!! It's weird how they seem to grow only when the weather is warm. We had days around 50 and nothing. The day it was above 60 they grew about an inch. Since then it's been around 50's again and they haven't grown much at all.

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
After planting I realized I have room for more. So I just ordered 3 more cascade and 2 kent golding rhizomes. Now should be good.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
After planting I realized I have room for more. So I just ordered 3 more cascade and 2 kent golding rhizomes. Now should be good.

Your house will be absolutely covered in hop bines in a few years.

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull

Hmmm. . you saying this is a bad thing. 

The nuggets will grow off of the back of my brewery (2 1/2 car garage)  the the casacade and golding will be trellised over a slab between my lawn and garage creating a cool, natural shade area if all goes well.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

The nuggets will grow off of the back of my brewery (2 1/2 car garage)  the the casacade and golding will be trellised over a slab between my lawn and garage creating a cool, natural shade area if all goes well.

That sounds amazing.  I can only dream of sitting out on a nice day in the shade, reading a book and being drowned in the smell of fresh hops.

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull

That sounds amazing.  I can only dream of sitting out on a nice day in the shade, reading a book and being drowned in the smell of fresh hops.

Sure. . reading . or listening to Bob Ueker call a Brewer game, or smoking a slab of some pigs flesh, or grilling brats. All that good warm weather stuff.

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
Thinking about growing hops even though I don't homebrew (yet).   I plan to homebrew later this year, but I've got some nice open planers on my deck that would allow for hop vines to grow up and around my trellis. 

What should I buy and from where?

Thanks.
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
Thinking about growing hops even though I don't homebrew (yet).   I plan to homebrew later this year, but I've got some nice open planers on my deck that would allow for hop vines to grow up and around my trellis. 

Thanks.

Do you know of anyone else who grows hops?  I got all my vines from someone who had to cut theirs back.  If not I believe Northern Brewers sells them (not sure though).

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches

Thanks.

Do you know of anyone else who grows hops? 

I know some of the freaks here, but not sure who grows hops other than the guys in this thread.

JJ21> hey

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine

Thanks.

I know some of the freaks here, but not sure who grows hops other than the guys in this thread.

JJ21> hey

Jeff,

Couple things:

(1) I'll ask Mike (GUBR) and Dan (SmokedChub) if Greg has any more rhizomes for you to try. Mike is starting the hop vines for the brewing group. If you wanted to PM them, feel free to. I'd start with Dan, and tell 'em George sent you. :unsure: MirrorPondBlondes (Shane) also knows Greg I think. So you can try him too. All of them are obviously local in Chicago.

(2) The vines will take probably a couple seasons to yield a worthy amount of hopcones.
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
I got mine from Freshops, but they don't have much left and they only sell them from March to May.

Mine are all in the ground now after 6 weeks in the fridge. The second order I placed arrived 2 days ago and they went to the dirt from the mail box. I am trying to grow 14 plants of three varieties will no gardening experience. . here goes nothing.

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
Mike had two clippings take root and one that didn't. So we at least have a solid start now.
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine

Thanks.

JJ21> hey
I planted my first rhizome (Centennial) a few weeks ago in a big ass pot that I bought from the Homebrew shop a block away.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine

Thanks.

JJ21> hey
I planted my first rhizome (Centennial) a few weeks ago in a big ass pot that I bought from the Homebrew shop a block away.
Update: The biggest vine shot up about two inches in the last couple of days. Looks like it's about to take off :thumbup:

Offline Squid

• Double IPA
  • Calamari
our vines are growing a foot a day now. they just popped out last week. they're over the fence now.

hack> we'll bring you some cuttings of our willamette this weekend. i'll remind severstad. ours were cuttings off his friends' massive clump. we actually were talking of dividing and relocating some.
"I think my meat is bad." - Urbanhack

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
our vines are growing a foot a day now. they just popped out last week. they're over the fence now.

hack> we'll bring you some cuttings of our willamette this weekend. i'll remind severstad. ours were cuttings off his friends' massive clump. we actually were talking of dividing and relocating some.

Whoa!
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches

That would be awesome!!!    Thank you!

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine

I think I could find one a good home... :suds:

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull

I think I could find one a good home... :suds:
+1 for keeping some hop love in wisconsin.

Offline JAA

• Macro
I just planted 4 cascade about 3 weeks ago.  One of them has 2 shoots almost a foot.  The others are pretty small.  Im not expecting much this season.

Squid:  Have you considered selling dried hops?  Or some rhizomes?

cheers

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
I just planted 4 cascade about 3 weeks ago.  One of them has 2 shoots almost a foot.  The others are pretty small.  Im not expecting much this season.

cheers
Ok, what the hell am I doing wrong? I planted mine (Centennial) about a month ago and one shoot is 6-8 inches and the other barely 3 inches with a third barely breaking the ground.

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA

cheers
Ok, what the hell am I doing wrong? I planted mine (Centennial) about a month ago and one shoot is 6-8 inches and the other barely 3 inches with a third barely breaking the ground.

Im not much of an expert on this, but they are getting the same amount of water and sun light?