search

Author Topic: Keezer/Kegerator Build - Questions, discussion, progress (or lack thereof)  (Read 4775 times)

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
As I have posted elsewhere, I am in the process of replacing my 2 tap Sanyo 4912 kegerator with a 4 tap mushroom tower keezer built on an 8.8 ft2 Kenmire chest freezer.  It is going to be slow going and I'm indecisive about some parts of it so I would appreciate any input you might have.

I will be replacing the lid with a wood.  A 3" collar with a wooden top.  It's looking like maple at this point.  I like the contrast of the light wood with the black freezer. 

My first conundrum...gas distribution.  I have a dual gauge primary regulator with a wye.  So two gas lines.  I'm thinking of keeping the tank outside the freezer and running one line through the back of the collar to a 4 way distribution block (cheapest).  This will give me an extra gas line outside the freezer at serving presure.

Other options:
  • Add a second primary regulator body to my regulator - this would make it more difficult to distribute gas with the cylinder outside the freezer but would allow different pressures
  • Set my primary to 30-40lbs and run a single line to a pair of secondary regulators.  Pros: serving at different pressures, have an extra higher pressure line outside the freezer for quick(er) carbing, transfers etc.  Cons: expensive ...plus I f I go with the distribution block I can always add this later.

Thoughts, comments, jeers?
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
I would run a single line into the freezer and get a 5-way distributor so you can use a beer gun or other filler if you were so inclined.  With an 8.8 cu ft freezer, the tank should sit inside there snugly, as long as it's 10 lbs or less, and that way you'll have one less hole in the collar.  Make sure you insulate the collar and lid with styrofoam, otherwise you'll likely end up with warm air in the top of your kegerator, which translates to glasses full of foam.

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
I would run a single line into the freezer and get a 5-way distributor so you can use a beer gun or other filler if you were so inclined.  With an 8.8 cu ft freezer, the tank should sit inside there snugly, as long as it's 10 lbs or less, and that way you'll have one less hole in the collar.  Make sure you insulate the collar and lid with styrofoam, otherwise you'll likely end up with warm air in the top of your kegerator, which translates to glasses full of foam.

My existing regulator supports two lines so I could do a 4-way distributor and still have another available for a beer gun. There is plenty of room inside for the CO2, my thoughts on keeping it outside are 1) easier to adjust & disconnect for exchange and b)more room in the freezer for beer.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
I'm just about to order a distributor myself, but probably will just go with a four way.  Two for what is on tap.  One for carbonating another on deck.  One for a beer gun.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
You can also make a DIY distributor with T's, tubing, and clamps.  Doesn't look the prettiest, if you're into that.

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Re: Keezer/Kegerator Build - Questions, discussion, progress (or lack thereof)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 04:30:02 PM »
One step in the slow process...

Shanks and faucets acquired.  I had given up on finding a pair of Perlick 425SS faucets and decided to sell the two I had.  Sold them to a guy at Homebrewtalk.  A couple of weeks later, right before I went to bed, I decided to check Ebay.  Typed in Perlick 425 and BOOM, set of four available with a buy it now price less per faucet than I got for mine.  So here is the progress so far.

I've sent plans for the freezer top to my dad, the plan is to make it out of maple.  I still need to buy a CO2 distributor or a new regulator and miscellaneous fittings. But progress is being made.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
That tower cleaned up real nice :thumbup:

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Getting a little closer.  I've got the new shelves in place with a stemware rack for tasters.  The top of the kegerator is fully assembled.  I need to drill for gas lines and route out a recess for the drip tray, then apply the finish.  I'll finish the inside first and add foam board insulation on the inside of the lid.  Then finish the outside and mount tower.  Probably should think about brewing some beer.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
Cool lava lamp
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Cool lava lamp

There's a traffic light over there, too

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
I like the taster rack

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
baby steps...

Gas distribution.

Inside of lid where tower attaches

Inside of lid with insulation in place

Tower with lid tilted open

Front view with tower attached and lid finished.

The drip tray will be an add on for another time.  It will require some additional tools for my router.

All I need are the beer lines and some beer.  I'll grab a sixtel to hold me over until I get some homebrew finished.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
You going to rig up some sort of collecting tank for the drip tray?

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

The tray that I have does not have a drain.  I have considered adding a drain, but my biggest priority is just getting some beer on tap.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 12:10:29 AM »

The tray that I have does not have a drain.  I have considered adding a drain, but my biggest priority is just getting some beer on tap.

Wouldn't be hard, but yes, beer would be a priority I suppose.

Love that tower!  :thumbup:

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »
a folded towel will do the trick in the mean time ;)