search

Author Topic: Ahnapee Brewery - Algoma WI  (Read 2280 times)

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Ahnapee Brewery - Algoma WI
« on: August 02, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130801/GPG04/308010387/Ahnapee-Brewery-adds-touch-history-craft-beer

Ahnapee Brewery, a weeks-old beer operation in Algoma, is small.

“We make about 70 gallons every time we brew, so there’s more booyah at the church picnic than I have for one batch,” said head brewer Nick Calaway.

Ahnapee is an offshoot of Von Stiehl Winery, but it’s also a precursor. When von Stiehl was first built in 1868, it was Ahnapee Brewery, a sizable brewery on the shores of the Ahnapee River, which pours into Lake Michigan a few blocks east. The winery’s owners, Brad and Eric Schmiling, are descendants of the brewery’s originator, Henry Schmiling.

But in 1886, hops plight demolished beer production in Wisconsin, closing the original brewery’s doors.

“It was a fully functioning brewery. It had a gristmill, it used the water from the back, it had an ice house, the whole shebang,” said Calaway, who splits his time between general managing the winery and heading up the brewery. “So we were really playing off that.”

History runs deep at Ahnapee, though it’s operation is small. The beer is brewed privately at an old dairy north of town, their tap room — a remodeled single-car garage with a capacity of 30 — is open Fridays and Saturdays.

Calaway even uses a full-size cooler from a McDonald’s, whose door can’t swing fully open because the bar is in the way.

Don’t take any of this to mean that Ahnapee isn’t taking their beer — and their business — seriously.

It’s been open for three weekends and Calaway said at this point it’s more important to be practical than grandiose.

“It’s small,” Calaway admits. “We’d really like to grow, but we wanted to start small, use some used equipment, see if it works. Does it work in Algoma? Does it work year-round in Algoma? If it does, great. Let’s do it and let’s grow it.”

It’s essentially a trial run, but Ahnapee has what a lot of small-scale breweries and, frankly, home brewers don’t: A historical and financial connection to a stoutly established entity in Von Stiehl.

And just because it’s small doesn’t mean it spouts weak beer.

With a production rate of a few dozen gallons, it allows Calaway a lot of flexibility in flavors and types of beer.

Ahnapee has four solid brews right now: Ahnapee Lager, Little Soldier, Noble IPA and Bavarian Dunkel.

All of it comes down to Calaway’s creativity, drive and love of beer — he’s been home-brewing beer since he was 18 years old. And now, he’d like to get to a point where Ahnapee could move, remodel, spruce things up, bottle their beer for big production and become part of a complex including food, wine and beer all in downtown Algoma.

For now, he’d like to monitor the response, work hard and build slowly.

“I’d really like to have bottles be able to go out the door, people to come in here, have beers and just enjoy themselves,” Calaway said. “I’d like to see the community embrace the brewery.”

Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
Re: Ahnapee Brewery - Algoma WI
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
105 Navarino Street (In Garage)
Algoma, Wisconsin 54201

:lol:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 02:41:08 PM »

there's a wine fest out there in the fall around apple picking time.. looks like a trip is in order. wife can have wine and i can try some beers :excited:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:42:16 PM »

there's a wine fest out there in the fall around apple picking time.. looks like a trip is in order. wife can have wine and i can try some beers :excited:

I've been to that before ... I seem to recall a "salute to sausages"  :unsure: as one of the events.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
:mellow:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
Also this article last week:  http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130726/GPG1008/307260091/Tapping-their-roots

"Several years of experience as the GM of Titletown Brewing Company provided a more in-depth experience with brewing. He learned from head brewermaster Dave Oldenburg and owner Brent Weycker."

I thought that guy looked familiar.  I remember when he left to go work for Von Stiehl.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »
I thought that guy looked familiar.

now i recognize his face

very curious about this now

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Well goldammit :coffee:

We were just in Algoma at last week, wish i'd known about this place. Hit up Bearcats for smoked whitefish and salmon, and checked out the awesome beach there. Noticed lots of beachfront property for sale, and quite a few old school supper clubs.

What's booyah? :mellow:
I only know it in the ragga-dancehall sense.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

We were just in Algoma at last week, wish i'd known about this place. Hit up Bearcats for smoked whitefish and salmon, and checked out the awesome beach there. Noticed lots of beachfront property for sale, and quite a few old school supper clubs.

Only open on the weekends.

Booyah is a chicken/beef/vegetable stew, cooked outdoors in big barrels.  In Western NY we called it "chicken chowder."

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »

Booyah is a chicken/beef/vegetable stew, cooked outdoors in big barrels.  In Western NY we called it "chicken chowder." have nothing like this  :hot:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »

Booyah is a chicken/beef/vegetable stew, cooked outdoors in big barrels.  In Western NY we called it "chicken chowder." have nothing like this  :hot:

http://jlheuer.wordpress.com/2010/09/20/chicken-chowder/

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 04:50:26 PM »

tl;dr

also that looks like chowder rather than booyah  :mellow:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »

tl;dr

also that looks like chowder rather than booyah  :mellow:

Since only one of us has had both, I overrule your objection and sentence you to death.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
Booyah! :lol: :lol:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »
Algoma, Wisconsin 54201

can confirm that this is not a joke.
it's a garage.

but the guy did a really nice job with it. smallish bar. maybe room for 10 all the way around. a couple tables in the main room.. 2 seaters. maybe 3-4 total.  then there's a small extension on the back... a sort of 3 seasons room.. with 3 more tables with 3 chairs each.

looks... nice. right next door to Von Stiehl if you know where that is. maybe 3 blocks from the Lake.

drank a Vienna Lager (good) and sampled a Chocolate Milk Stout before getting a growler to go.

glass is $8 (oof) and the fill was $15. 

12 oz is $3.  20 oz pour is $5.  flight of four 5oz pours is $6.  cash only for the time being so be prepared. there's a First Merit bank about 2 blocks away so you can get cash if need be.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »
Algoma, Wisconsin 54201

can confirm that this is not a joke.
it's a garage.

but the guy did a really nice job with it. smallish bar. maybe room for 10 all the way around. a couple tables in the main room.. 2 seaters. maybe 3-4 total.  then there's a small extension on the back... a sort of 3 seasons room.. with 3 more tables with 3 chairs each.

looks... nice. right next door to Von Stiehl if you know where that is. maybe 3 blocks from the Lake.

drank a Vienna Lager (good) and sampled a Chocolate Milk Stout before getting a growler to go.

glass is $8 (oof) and the fill was $15. 

12 oz is $3.  20 oz pour is $5.  flight of four 5oz pours is $6.  cash only for the time being so be prepared. there's a First Merit bank about 2 blocks away so you can get cash if need be.
:thumbup:
Tyme machine? :coffee:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 08:33:52 AM »
:lol:  yes. they have a TYME machine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i debated typing that out and ultimately went with the bank name so nobody said "wtf, furley :furley: "

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »

While we were tooling around town looking for Bearcats Smokehouse, could have sworn I saw this mural... looks like it's right across the street from the garage brewery.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 10:46:22 AM »
yup. saw that.  aside from people in town for fishing.... i have no idea what else goes on there.

it was DEAD at 5 PM on a saturday. beautiful day, lots of sun, just a little wind and we saw ONE person outside as we drove through town. when we meandered over to the beach there were two kids playing.. that was it.

lots of activity in the harbor so maybe everyone was out/coming in from the lake. no idea. 

couple summers ago when we were there it was during the wine festival.  lots of activity around Von Stiehl and at the main park in the downtown area.. but once you walked away from that.... dead.  lots of empty storefronts and closed businesses. it looked fucking depressing. 

curious to see if the guy can make a go of this place in that town. i guess Von Stiehl does somehow so why not his place :shrug:

i will say that the Chocolate Milk Stout is outstanding. silky smooth. the chocolate does not overwhelm. it's not sickly sweet like some. could have powered through a few more pints if my brain didn't shut off after a long saturday. would definitely drive back out to pick up another growler and maybe sit down for a sampler flight.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 11:24:03 AM »
yup. saw that.  aside from people in town for fishing.... i have no idea what else goes on there.

it was DEAD at 5 PM on a saturday. beautiful day, lots of sun, just a little wind and we saw ONE person outside as we drove through town. when we meandered over to the beach there were two kids playing.. that was it.

lots of activity in the harbor so maybe everyone was out/coming in from the lake. no idea. 

couple summers ago when we were there it was during the wine festival.  lots of activity around Von Stiehl and at the main park in the downtown area.. but once you walked away from that.... dead.  lots of empty storefronts and closed businesses. it looked fucking depressing. 

curious to see if the guy can make a go of this place in that town. i guess Von Stiehl does somehow so why not his place :shrug:

i will say that the Chocolate Milk Stout is outstanding. silky smooth. the chocolate does not overwhelm. it's not sickly sweet like some. could have powered through a few more pints if my brain didn't shut off after a long saturday. would definitely drive back out to pick up another growler and maybe sit down for a sampler flight.
I got the same vibe, a quiet & quaint little harbor town with not much going on.

Bearcats was pretty busy in the middle of a weekday though, so I guess they're pretty popular. Also passed this place, might check it out next time. Article is from 1995, but it looked open when we passed by.

Walking tour brochure [PDF] mentions the Netto Palazzo building and has some historical info and lists restored murals around town.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »
Definitely saw this mural, and was like "huh, a brewery eh?"

Thought it was just a historical throwback thing, little did I know a new brewery was starting up in town...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:09:46 AM by emerge »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »
cool. did not see that.  of course we didn't spend a bunch of time walking around town this time either.

hoping to get back out there this friday. we'll see if my boss lets me have off.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 09:44:26 PM »
popped out here this afternoon for a sampler flight

had the Little Soldier Amber, Helles, Noble IPA and Dark Mild

Helles and IPA were solid. would drink again for sure. the Amber was... well... and amber. just nothing to write home about. no outstanding characteristic. and the Mild was poor, imo. some sort of off flavor.  not bad and i couldn't pinpoint what bothered me but i would not get this again.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »

Furley> need a growler of the mushroom ale plz, TIA :gimmebeer:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »

:blackdot: for when i get home so i can see this info

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »

:blackdot: for when i get home so i can see this info
Pics blocked?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 02:56:18 PM »
i can see it now

wonder how long it will be on. this weekend is shot already.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 05:11:50 PM »
i can see it now

How big are the batches? It's basically in a garage right?

Algoma didn't exactly seem like a hotbed of beer geek activity... nice beach though.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »
i can see it now

How big are the batches? It's basically in a garage right?

Algoma didn't exactly seem like a hotbed of beer geek activity... nice beach though.

no clue. it is a garage. very small. i think the beer MIGHT be brewed next door at Von Stihl and just served out of the Ahnapee space.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »
should you find yourself at Ahnapee, check out http://www.skaliwags.com/

amazing food. it's a bar with mediocre beer offerings (Spotted Cow and Ahnapee Milk Chocolate Stout being the highlights) but excellent food. opens at 4:30, we got there are 4:35 because we heard it was a long wait. that's no joke.  we got the last table for two. didn't get our food til about 5:45. must have seen 25, 30 people walk in and walk out because there was no room.  stayed that way til we left around 6:30.

i had pork, wife had scallops. both excellent.

menu changes constantly. out waitress said she only works saturdays and she has no idea what will be on until she gets there. tons of fish choices. maybe 3-4 non-seafood and at least 12-15 seafood. a little spendy, our entrees were 25 and 26. beers were $4 (NG) and $6 (Ahnapee).

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 03:21:35 AM »
Sounds like a great day trip :thumbup:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 02:08:26 PM »

yup.  mix in a little beach time, a stop at the antique shop, check out a little art :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:03 PM »

yup.  mix in a little beach time, a stop at the antique shop, check out a little art :thumbup:
The beach there is pretty sweet :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »

Reminder/note to self :blackdot:
If I make it up there sometime, would you guys be able to get out there for a beachside cornhole?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
depends on the day/weekend but it's certainly close enough for me :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »
Maybe in the spring sometime, i'll keep you posted :thumbup:

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »

Fuck, yeah ... IN.    :excited:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »

Fuck, yeah ... IN.    :excited:
Let's do it! :hifive:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »
http://www.ppulse.com/Articles-Business-c-2015-01-22-119776.114136-Ahnapee-Coming-to-a-Tap-Near-You.html#123
Ahnapee Coming to a Tap Near You

By Jim Lundstrom

The Ahnapee Brewing Tap Room in beautiful downtown Algoma was hopping right from the noon opening on Saturday, Jan. 17, for the release of its special winter warmer, an imperial milk stout aged for seven months in whiskey barrels.

In addition to drinking it on tap, you could also buy bottles of the beer, but only two per person.

“All the bottles are gone,” brewer Nick Calaway said on Tuesday. He thought he might have a gallon more to pour in the tap room, which he expects will be gone by the time you read this.

But sometime in the very near future you may be able to find Ahnapee Brewing products closer to home. The brewery started the summer of 2013 with a 2-barrel brewing system, but has since upgraded to a 15-barrel system (465 gallons).

The brewery started working with Triangle Distributing about three months ago to get their products out to surrounding counties – Brown, Kewaunee and Manitowoc.

“Door County is the next frontier,” Calaway said. “We thought we would work on a bullseye around our brewery and work out from there, rather than hitting big markets like Madison and Milwaukee right away.”

In the meantime, here are a couple of brewery events to keep in mind:

March 1: Ahnapee Brewery is hosting a meat auction for Habitat for Humanity from a pig raised on the brewery’s spent grains from 5-7:30 pm. A glass of bacon-inspired Firkin brew and pork-centric food are included in admission. All admission & auction proceeds benefit Habitat for Humanity. Reservations required. The cost is $30 per person. The event is limited to 30 participants. Sign up with a bartender at Ahnapee Brewery. Growler fills will not be available for this special brew. Contact Nick Calaway at 920.785.0822 for more information and to make reservations.

March 14: St. Patty's Day: Come out and enjoy a naturally carbonated Firkin (10 gallon keg) specially brewed for the day. The Firkin will only be available at the Tap Room, and will be tapped at noon and when it is gone, it's gone. Come and spread some Irish cheer with some very unique Ahnapee non-green beer. No admission cost. First come, first served.

May 2: Smokey Hobo Release: A one-time release of a Peat-Smoked Porter that has been aged in whiskey barrels from the Great Lakes Distillery for more than half a year. The keg will be tapped at noon and pouring it until it's gone. Also available by the bottle. First come, first served. No admission cost. Only at the Tap Room. Bottle purchases will be limited to four per person.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 10:30:11 PM »
http://www.ppulse.com/Articles-Business-c-2015-01-22-119776.114136-Ahnapee-Coming-to-a-Tap-Near-You.html#123
Ahnapee Coming to a Tap Near You

By Jim Lundstrom

The Ahnapee Brewing Tap Room in beautiful downtown Algoma was hopping right from the noon opening on Saturday, Jan. 17, for the release of its special winter warmer, an imperial milk stout aged for seven months in whiskey barrels.

In addition to drinking it on tap, you could also buy bottles of the beer, but only two per person.

“All the bottles are gone,” brewer Nick Calaway said on Tuesday. He thought he might have a gallon more to pour in the tap room, which he expects will be gone by the time you read this.

But sometime in the very near future you may be able to find Ahnapee Brewing products closer to home. The brewery started the summer of 2013 with a 2-barrel brewing system, but has since upgraded to a 15-barrel system (465 gallons).

The brewery started working with Triangle Distributing about three months ago to get their products out to surrounding counties – Brown, Kewaunee and Manitowoc.

“Door County is the next frontier,” Calaway said. “We thought we would work on a bullseye around our brewery and work out from there, rather than hitting big markets like Madison and Milwaukee right away.”

In the meantime, here are a couple of brewery events to keep in mind:

March 1: Ahnapee Brewery is hosting a meat auction for Habitat for Humanity from a pig raised on the brewery’s spent grains from 5-7:30 pm. A glass of bacon-inspired Firkin brew and pork-centric food are included in admission. All admission & auction proceeds benefit Habitat for Humanity. Reservations required. The cost is $30 per person. The event is limited to 30 participants. Sign up with a bartender at Ahnapee Brewery. Growler fills will not be available for this special brew. Contact Nick Calaway at 920.785.0822 for more information and to make reservations.

March 14: St. Patty's Day: Come out and enjoy a naturally carbonated Firkin (10 gallon keg) specially brewed for the day. The Firkin will only be available at the Tap Room, and will be tapped at noon and when it is gone, it's gone. Come and spread some Irish cheer with some very unique Ahnapee non-green beer. No admission cost. First come, first served.

May 2: Smokey Hobo Release: A one-time release of a Peat-Smoked Porter that has been aged in whiskey barrels from the Great Lakes Distillery for more than half a year. The keg will be tapped at noon and pouring it until it's gone. Also available by the bottle. First come, first served. No admission cost. Only at the Tap Room. Bottle purchases will be limited to four per person.

Love this thinking out of new breweries.  :thumbup:
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 10:55:09 PM »

Sounds like a good day for a TBS cornhole :coffee:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »

Also GTOTM ticket weekend, though.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »

i had the same thought about heading out there that day.  but..... tickets take priority

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 09:14:39 AM »

i had the same thought about heading out there that day.  but..... tickets take priority

Unless you are going to madison for the whole weekend, you can do both.  May 2 is Saturday, tickets are sold on Sunday.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 09:57:08 AM »
Would be too much driving for me in one weekend, but maybe a generous soul could bring some to Madison.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 09:59:39 AM »

Unless you are going to madison for the whole weekend, you can do both.  May 2 is Saturday, tickets are sold on Sunday.

:goodposting:  calendars are down due to the weather

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 09:59:49 AM »
Would be too much driving for me in one weekend, but maybe a generous soul could bring some to Madison.

possibly

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 10:16:29 AM »

possibly

Doubt he was talking about you.  :mellow:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 02:59:16 PM »
"Hope you can join us for our first firkin tapping! It's at The Libertine in Green Bay on February 26th at 8pm. It'll be our Fun Guy (Mushroom Brown ale) fermented on apricots."

:-X