search

Author Topic: Back-roads breweries (In Wisconsin)  (Read 2219 times)

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
Back-roads breweries (In Wisconsin)
« on: March 25, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=730542
Never heard of this place- Hideaway Brew Pub and Restaurant in Chaseburg, WI
Sounds cool (cute bartender in the pic :yes:), anyone been there?
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Back-roads breweries (In Wisconsin)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »
Dead thread, but a great topic :thumbup:
We went to the Hideaway in 2010, it was a great experience.

Here's my old review:
This was a cool little roadhouse spot, a detour off 35 from the river, and well worth it. The scenic trip on 162 was quiet and there were many unique barns on this stretch of road.

The Hideaway was nestled in the bluffs off the highway, with a large gravel lot without much else around, so there's no mistaking it. Neons in the windows and a larger sign up front. Once inside it was darker, with lots of wood paneling. The bar tables appeared to be lacquered cedar planks and had a nice deep red color. The back bar was ornately carved and looked to be vintage. Floors were concrete, country music was on the stereo. Others seemed to show up right after us for lunch, mostly a blue collar crowd. There was a screened in porch out back with more seating, wish we had known about it before we sat by the pool table.

Selection was good, though they are on hiatus from brewing. They used to contract brew at Corner Pub in Reedsburg, but aren't any longer (though Corner Pub is back up and running). Tap highlights: Einfach Dunkel, Raspberry Tart, Ranger IPA, 2 Hearted, Oberon, Bells Amber, 3 from Pearl St. and Sand Creek, 2 other New Glarus, and Rush River Unforgiven, which was new to me.

Service was ok, somewhat aloof but friendly. Our food was great, and was served quickly. Sandwiches were piping hot, we had a walnut burger (veg) and the Reuben. Chipotle mayo was great with the homemade pub chips.

Will definitely return, I have a thing for hidden backroad pubs, and this one is near the top of my list.

I've been reading that book Bottoms Up, and there are lots of great backroad bars listed i'd love to go to.

Jackson Clinic in Mauston for example...

Looks totally legit :unsure: Apparently it was founded when the owner moved a 1-room schoolhouse to the site, then dragged an outbuilding across the road and joined the two. There was no running water for decades, and the owner apparently brought a bucket of water everyday... to make ice for drinks. :furley:

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:17:13 PM »

Here's my old review:
This was a cool little roadhouse spot, a detour off 35 from the river, and well worth it. The scenic trip on 162 was quiet and there were many unique barns on this stretch of road.

The Hideaway was nestled in the bluffs off the highway, with a large gravel lot without much else around, so there's no mistaking it. Neons in the windows and a larger sign up front. Once inside it was darker, with lots of wood paneling. The bar tables appeared to be lacquered cedar planks and had a nice deep red color. The back bar was ornately carved and looked to be vintage. Floors were concrete, country music was on the stereo. Others seemed to show up right after us for lunch, mostly a blue collar crowd. There was a screened in porch out back with more seating, wish we had known about it before we sat by the pool table.

Selection was good, though they are on hiatus from brewing. They used to contract brew at Corner Pub in Reedsburg, but aren't any longer (though Corner Pub is back up and running). Tap highlights: Einfach Dunkel, Raspberry Tart, Ranger IPA, 2 Hearted, Oberon, Bells Amber, 3 from Pearl St. and Sand Creek, 2 other New Glarus, and Rush River Unforgiven, which was new to me.

Service was ok, somewhat aloof but friendly. Our food was great, and was served quickly. Sandwiches were piping hot, we had a walnut burger (veg) and the Reuben. Chipotle mayo was great with the homemade pub chips.

Will definitely return, I have a thing for hidden backroad pubs, and this one is near the top of my list.

I've been reading that book Bottoms Up, and there are lots of great backroad bars listed i'd love to go to.

DUDE!
Go here (http://goelement.com/holiday/), scroll down and over until you see my pretty mug, and check out the gift I recommended to our clients.

:cheers:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:48:53 PM »
if i were a single fella, i sure would be interested in Nikki's recommendations  and maybe even in helping her use some of that hand lotion  :mellow:

i can never get enough of your handsome visage  :wub:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:49:15 PM »

Here's my old review:

DUDE!
Go here (http://goelement.com/holiday/), scroll down and over until you see my pretty mug, and check out the gift I recommended to our clients.

:cheers:
Great minds think alike :cheers:
So you've been to 2 dozen of these in the book? Any highlights?

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 11:05:29 PM »
Caught some of "Bottoms Up" on PBS last night. Here is a link to the full episode. Very cool show.  :thumbup:

http://video.wpt.org/video/2279165598/
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 11:14:47 PM »
Caught some of "Bottoms Up" on PBS last night. Here is a link to the full episode. Very cool show.  :thumbup:

Didn't know there was a show :excited:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 08:35:54 AM »

Didn't know there was a show :excited:
Me neither!
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:24:12 PM »
A few years ago I found a video of some backroads WI bars, run by old timers. Sadly the two I wanted to visit the proprietors had passed away. One is still run by the guy's daughter on weekends, Sprechers in Leland, WI. We drove by last summer but it was closed during the week.

A good story about Sprechers

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:53:23 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 04:26:30 PM »
Alright, looking for any advice on places to hit along I-39/Hwy 51.
We'll be near the Ashland area, i'm aware of South Shore. Also O'so and Central Waters on the way up.
Anything else new and/or notable? TIA :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:43:58 PM by emerge »

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 09:30:14 PM »
:sadbaAlright, looking for any advice on places to hit along I-39/Hwy 51.
We'll be near the Ashland area, i'm aware of South Shore. Also O'so and Central Waters on the way up.

Minocqua Brewing Company is right on 51.  I stopped there yesterday, but can't tell you how it is ...  It was packed with about 15 people waiting at the door for the hostess to put their name on a waiting list for a table.  No problem, I thought, I'm just going to the bar anyway.  Sat down and asked for a porter and a food menu.  Bartender tells me they don't serve food at the bar.  I was dumbfounded.  Told him that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard, and they must be the only brewpub in the country that doesn't serve food at the bar. Got up and left.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 09:54:19 PM »

I've heard good things about Red Eye in Wausau. Supposed to be good beer and food.
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 10:27:50 PM »

I've heard good things about Red Eye in Wausau. Supposed to be good beer and food.

Food is better than the beer, but the beer is certainly drinkable.  Some beers are very good, some are mediocre or just ok.  Worth a visit for sure.  2nd best pizza I've ever had was at Red Eye.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:33 PM »

Minocqua Brewing Company is right on 51.  I stopped there yesterday, but can't tell you how it is ...  It was packed with about 15 people waiting at the door for the hostess to put their name on a waiting list for a table.  No problem, I thought, I'm just going to the bar anyway.  Sat down and asked for a porter and a food menu.  Bartender tells me they don't serve food at the bar.  I was dumbfounded.  Told him that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard, and they must be the only brewpub in the country that doesn't serve food at the bar. Got up and left.
What the hell? :facepalm:
Never heard of this before.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 10:54:36 PM »

Food is better than the beer, but the beer is certainly drinkable.  Some beers are very good, some are mediocre or just ok.  Worth a visit for sure.  2nd best pizza I've ever had was at Red Eye.

I knew of them too, but wasn't sure if the beer was something worth a stop. Might stop at Central Waters, not sure if they'll still have GT leftovers on or not though...

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 09:23:10 AM »

i second all of this

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »

i second all of this
Dammit, they're closed on Sunday. :facepalm:
(heading back Sunday with a couple stops possible)

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 12:38:17 PM »

i second all of this

Bull Falls in Wausau has a tap room.  Their web site says they are going to start being open Sundays in September. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 12:40:58 PM »

i second all of this

Bull Falls in Wausau has a tap room.  Their web site says they are going to start being open Sundays in September.
Will be up there this Sunday, but i'll remember it for the future. Really want to get up to Lake Superior sometime.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 12:15:42 PM »
Ended up with a few 4-packs of Bull Falls stuff, the Holzhacker Lager was pretty fresh and tasty.
We got a very late start with the poor state of the campsite and dragging our gear through the fucking Mekong Delta.
Drove past Plover/Amherst exits around 10-11pm with a tear in my eye. :cry:

I did turn up a new brewery that sounded promising, Rocky Reef in Woodruff just north of Minocqua.

Bull Falls cooler at Kracker Barrel in Heafford Jct. WI
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:19:34 PM by emerge »

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 12:31:12 PM »
Ended up with a few 4-packs of Bull Falls stuff, the Holzhacker Lager was pretty fresh and tasty.

I like their Bock and Schwarzbier.  Drank a lot of their Hefe last summer, but never saw it in my store this year.  Same with their Oktoberfest, though I'm hoping it will arrive soon.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 01:31:34 PM »

I like their Bock and Schwarzbier.  Drank a lot of their Hefe last summer, but never saw it in my store this year.  Same with their Oktoberfest, though I'm hoping it will arrive soon.
Picked up the Schwarzbier too but haven't tried it yet. Lager was very fresh with a nice earthy Hallertau bitterness.
They also had 5 Star, BB Stout, and Marathon Lager.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
Seems like a new brewery i've never heard of is just a google map search away...case in point:

Driftless Brewing Company in Soldiers Grove, WI

I really like the SW WI region, hopefully will visit someday.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:34:10 AM by emerge »

Offline thewimperoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 10:53:54 PM »
Anything worth a damn in Lake Geneva?  Gotta spend the next couple days there at a shitty water park.
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 11:06:14 PM »
Anything worth a damn in Lake Geneva?  Gotta spend the next couple days there at a shitty water park.
All i've heard is Otto's as far as beer shops. There used to be a shop that filled growlers and sold homebrew supplies but I think they're gone already. There also used to be a brewpub in the area called "Randy's Fun Hunters". Now 841 Brewhouse in Whitewater.

Heard good things about Second Salem, and Casual Joe's is a newish beer/bbq place in the Whitewater area too...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:10:55 PM by emerge »

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 09:35:26 AM »
:thumbup: Thanks GB
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »
All i've heard is Otto's Bruno's as far as beer shops. There used to be a shop that filled growlers and sold homebrew supplies but I think they're gone already. There also used to be a brewpub in the area called "Randy's Fun Hunters". Now 841 Brewhouse in Whitewater.

Heard good things about Second Salem, and Casual Joe's is a newish beer/bbq place in the Whitewater area too...
D'oh, Bruno's. Not Otto's, that's in MKE.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 07:56:31 PM »

Maybe they took my advice?  Stopped by MBC again today, and this time they were serving food at the bar.  Had a porter and a red ale.  Meh.  porter was the better of the two, but not great.  Food was below average.  Definitely a tourist place.  $21 for walleye?  Um, no thanks.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 01:05:28 AM »
Good to know :thumbup:

This is the place i'd scoped out near where we were headed last year, but ran out of time to make it there.
Rocky Reef near Minocqua.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 09:49:34 PM »
Good to know :thumbup:

This is the place i'd scoped out near where we were headed last year, but ran out of time to make it there.
Rocky Reef near Minocqua.

Damn ... drove right by it

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
Only heard of Dave's BrewFarm, all others are new to me. Weren't they closing up shop?
Maybe Tavernjef has the scoop :popcorn:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 05:39:03 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »
Trying to think of somewhere in the vicinity of Madison that could be included during Great Taste weekend. Any suggestions?

Would Lone Girl and Octopi in Waunakee be worth a trip? Seems close enough to Madison.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 11:38:37 AM »
Second Salem in Whitewater seems promising, near a BBQ & beer joint called Casual Joe's. Only adds 20 min. from Chicago.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »
had an Octopi beer not that long ago.  bought a 6-pack from Wine Cellar. made it through a couple drinks of one and that was all i could handle.

store owner had picked them up directly from the brewery just days before he put them out for sale so it wasn't a freshness problem.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2018, 12:13:17 PM »
had an Octopi beer not that long ago.  bought a 6-pack from Wine Cellar. made it through a couple drinks of one and that was all i could handle.

store owner had picked them up directly from the brewery just days before he put them out for sale so it wasn't a freshness problem.
eek :o

I had a bad feeling about them when Vav moved back here a few months after working up there. IIRC, it's also the guy that left 5 Rabbit threatening lawsuits.

I'd heard of Lone Girl and noticed they were in the vicinity too. May not waste my time. There are a couple new ones in Madison I wanted to try, Working Draft, and Giant Jones.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »

Second Salem Brewing, Whitewater, WI

This was a highlight of my post-Taste, no haste drive home. Took the back roads for the majority of the trip, and had this one on my radar already. It was cool, a remodeled older building with ample parking and located smack dab in the middle of town. They had actual art on the walls, which tied into the theme of their brewery and beers. Sunday at the bar was pretty laid back, and the bartender was nice enough to chat about the brewery and town. Out back there was a shaded patio overlooking a huge willow tree and a small lake with a trail meandering past.

The beers were good, some were the typical brewpub lineup, but the highlights were a pair of sour fruited saisons, and a citra-hopped session APA. The food was also good, I had some abnormally huge tasty curds and side of "unicorn bacon" which was coated in sugar.

Cool place overall, definitely worth a detour off I-90.

Sonoma Cellars in Delavan was a great shop to stock up near Lake Geneva. Bruno's paled in comparison.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:36:06 AM by emerge »

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »
Ha one of my friends from college(Went to UW-Whitewater) is a part time brewer there. This is good to hear. This used to be Randy's Fun Hunter brewing company which was fairly nondescript.
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 12:14:11 PM »
Ha one of my friends from college(Went to UW-Whitewater) is a part time brewer there. This is good to hear. This used to be Randy's Fun Hunter brewing company which was fairly nondescript.

That was down the road, 841 Brewhouse. Was... not good. The best beer I had was a mix of the porter and nitro stout I made myself.

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »

That was down the road, 841 Brewhouse. Was... not good. The best beer I had was a mix of the porter and nitro stout I made myself.
Oh yeah you are right, strange thinking Whitewater has two breweries, its a weird town in constant conflict between the university and older rural community. The Second Salem building used to be a diner when I was in school there.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 01:11:51 PM by Initiative »
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »

Oh yeah you are right, strange thinking Whitewater has two breweries, its a weird town in constant conflict between the university and older rural community. The Second Salem building used to be a diner when I was in school there.
Definitely felt isolated, but not in a bad way. School was still out so it was pretty quiet.

Funny that you mention the brewery used to be a diner, I was wondering what it was in the past. In the back room is a very detailed painting of a brewery, and when I asked the bartender she said the building may have been a brewery in the past. To me it didn't really seem big enough, unless there was more where the parking lot is now.

Edit: There were more breweries in Whitewater than I ever thought possible.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:04:12 PM by emerge »

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2018, 08:59:17 PM »
Hit up Lazy Monk Brewing in Eau Claire this weekend. 

Doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it's decorated to look like a German beer hall with a small, L-shaped bar.  Nice outside deck, but it was raining the day I was there.  Mostly German and Czech/Bohemian style beers on tap with a couple of IPAs and guest taps, as well.  Cash only, and no food.

Had the dark lager and oktoberfest.  Both were good and I grabbed a 4 pack of oktoberfest cans to bring home. 

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2018, 11:10:52 PM »

Doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it's decorated to look like a German beer hall with a small, L-shaped bar.  Nice outside deck, but it was raining the day I was there.  Mostly German and Czech/Bohemian style beers on tap with a couple of IPAs and guest taps, as well.  Cash only, and no food.

Had the dark lager and oktoberfest.  Both were good and I grabbed a 4 pack of oktoberfest cans to bring home.

Big fan of lazy monk. Make it to brewing projekt?

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »

Big fan of lazy monk. Make it to brewing projekt?

No.  Didn't have much "free time" so I just picked out one place to check out.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2018, 07:40:25 PM »

Nice :thumbup:
A few years ago, I remember seeing their pre-filled growlers at Coffee Grounds, but passed. Looked like they did a nice variety of lagers.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »
Round Man Brewing Co. opening Nov. 2nd in Spooner, WI. Bison((Furley, plan your spooning getaway now.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2018, 11:01:27 AM »
@bison, we can spoon in Spooner!

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »

Head a little farther north and the two of you can roll in the hay in Hayward

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2018, 04:55:06 PM »

Head a little farther north and the two of you can roll in the hay in Hayward

already did that  :coffee: