search

Author Topic: **Official** Door County thread (ya hey dere)  (Read 2977 times)

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
Re: **Official** Door County thread (ya hey dere)
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
weird. maybe it's a temporary arrangement for now???

Didn't seem like it.   :shrug:  That said, their food has always been pretty decent (didn't eat anything this time), and since they are in a tourist town they can get away with a lot of stupid/mediocre shit and still be fine. 

Still looking forward to the One Barrel/Wild Tomato place, though.  There is also a new distillery in town - Hatch - but I didn't have time to check them out.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
Also, they have tasting flights, but you don't get to pick your beers.  You can have 4 samples of the year 'round lineup or 4 samples of whatever seasonals they have.  No mix and match.  wtf?

The best thing about this place is that One Barrel Brewing is opening a place just about across the street, in partnership with Wild Tomato wood-fire pizza.
This kind of arbitrary rule on flights is pretty lame. I don’t see how it saves time, you’re still pouring 4 beers either way. Only encountered it a handful of times, and the lasting impression is always negative. You want the public to try your beers, and make it easy to do that.

An extreme case of this was Short Fuse in Schiller Park, you had to get a flight of 8, and say you wanted to try 9 beers, you had to order another full 8 flight. I left half of them unfinished on the bar, oh well. I guess that’s how you get rid of mediocre stuff.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/local/door-co/entertainment/2019/05/17/one-barrel-brewing-opens-craft-beer-tap-room-egg-harbor/3710072002/

EGG HARBOR - The craft beers Peter Gentry and his team produce at One Barrel Brewing Co. seem like they'll fit with Door County's easy-going nature. Same goes for the new tap room and beer garden, opening in the village this week.

Gentry founded One Barrel Brewing Co. in Madison in 2012 by brewing his beer recipes one barrel at a time — hence the name. It became so popular that Gentry started thinking about opening a second location somewhere in Wisconsin.

That "somewhere," it turns out, is Door County. A grand opening for the new tap room on Market Street will run from Thursday through Memorial Day, with 12 One Barrel craft beers and ciders on tap, alongside pizzas, appetizers and salads from county-based Wild Tomato Pizza.

Gentry was initially considering Lake Geneva, Wisconsin Dells and Milwaukee, among others, but a visit to Egg Harbor a couple years ago turned his attention north.

"My wife is from Green Bay, and we decided we wanted to make a lifestyle change," Gentry said. "We've always like coming up here (to Door County). ... We came up for Egg Harbor AleFest two years ago and decided we would come up here (with the new brewery)."

Gentry and his wife relocated to Door County in September.

One Barrel joins a growing craft beer and cider brewing industry on the peninsula that started with Shipwrecked Brew Pub & Restaurant, which opened in 1997 and resides about a block away. Gentry said the tap beer at One Barrel is what distinguishes his brewery from the rest, matching the relaxed atmosphere of Door County.

"We pride ourselves on beers that are easy to drink," he said. "So, for people who are just getting interested in craft beer, this can provide a gateway to try it."

That doesn't mean the beers are basic. They include:

The flagship Penguin Pale Ale, which is deeper in color and a bit more malty than a typical American pale ale;
Two refreshing takes on German kolsch style — the Commuter, which Gentry said is One Barrel's top seller, and the cherry-based Forward;
Breakfast Beer, a coffee/milk stout that the tap room serves in a coffee cup;
Banjo Cat, a hopped-up porter that Gentry calls an India black ale; and
Hypercolor, a New England-style IPA that Gentry said is juicier and less bitter than the usual IPA and might be the best beer he's made.

"We really try to run the whole gamut," Gentry said.

The building housing the tap room is meant to be relaxed and comfortable as well, with tables and sofas seating about 100 people inside and a beer garden outside. Board games will be available, and a mini-playground will be built for customers' children.

"Our hope is to still convey the friendly, neighborhood feel we have down in (the Madison location)," Gentry said, "and to share it with as many people as possible."

From Madison to Egg Harbor
Gentry was a home brewer before opening the original One Barrel nanobrewery — a brewhouse using one to three barrels — in a Madison neighborhood in 2012.

"We started brewing one barrel at a time," Gentry said. "I had $700 in the bank at the time. Luckily, the line to get in was out the door. The demand was so high, we started to sell to other bars."

The Madison location brews 150 barrels a year, and about the same is expected in Egg Harbor, Gentry said. Because of the demand, other breweries brew up about 5,000 barrels a year under contract for One Barrel.

The Egg Harbor tap room is going into a building built in 2004 and formerly housed galleries and shops. Gentry said he was able to buy the property "at a reasonable price," and the village worked with him to obtain a Wisconsin Economic Development Corp. grant to build the brewhouse.

"That was the thing that pushed us over the edge (to open in Egg Harbor)," Gentry said.

He said the location is "virtually a new building" compared to its previous incarnation, with a terraced deck leading from the street to the doors and an airy vibe inside. The bar in front of the taps was built by Gentry and his 72-year-old father.

Wild Tomato has its wood-fired oven inside, to serve a full pizza menu and appetizers in a partnership with One Barrel.

"(Wild Tomato) sells my beer at its other locations (in Fish Creek and Sister Bay)," Gentry said. "I just texted (owner Britt Unkefer) about getting involved, and he said he'd love it. ... It's counter service only; I think of it as a food cart moved inside."

As of now, Gentry isn't planning to have live music, although he's aiming for one special event a month.

For those who want to bring the taste of One Barrel home, cans are available. Gentry plans to offer beer flights and growlers sometime after Memorial Day.

About the penguins ...
Expect penguins. Lots of them. The arctic bird not only is the namesake of One Barrel's pale ale, it's also featured on company taps, caps, T-shirts and more. The penguin seems to be almost a One Barrel mascot.

"I was working on names and things (before opening the original brewery), and the penguin was the only thing I could draw," Gentry said. "I know of over a dozen people who have it tattooed on them, so it must speak to people."

The opening weekend doesn't have an out-of-the-ordinary event planned but instead will be about "just sharing what we have with the world," Gentry said. "It's Memorial Day, we're a new thing, so I figure we'll be pretty busy anyway."

Gentry said he expects the Egg Harbor location to double the revenue of the Madison one while maintaining the ideas that made the original tap room successful.

"We've got a great staff of friendly people that we hope will keep people coming back," Gentry said. "We want to be a place where people will hang out. My hope is to share this with as many people as possible."

FYI

One Barrel Brewing Co. holds a grand opening for its new taproom at 4633 Market St., Egg Harbor, from Thursday, May 23 to Monday, May 27.

It will be open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Mondays through Thursday, 10 a.m. to midnight Fridays and Saturdays and 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sundays. For more information, visit onebarrelbrewing.com.

Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2019, 07:51:39 AM »
 :-X

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2019, 11:00:54 PM »
popped in to the Wild Tomato/One Barrel space today.

it's very nice. lots of outdoor patio seating, some couches with a couple fire pits. right now they're only serving pizza and draft beer. no flights, no growlers.

inside space is really nice. plenty of room. clean & modern. tons of room. it was packed when we got there about 11:30 and again when we passed by around 8.

had the Kolsch. was actually pretty nice.

would definitely stop in again. based on location alone they should do very well.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2019, 12:29:12 PM »
No pizza? Theirs was really good, at least it was a few years ago.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »

they're only serving pizza for food right now

by the slice or whole pie

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2019, 08:46:51 PM »

You didn’t eat any though?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2019, 11:19:56 PM »

we did. kids had a slice of the cheese and a slice of the pepperoni, respectively.

we ate a spinach, sausage and garlic pizza. Door County prices on the food. 12" pizza was $19 + toppings. i had a beer, kids had sodas. came out to just over $40 total.

pizza was tasty. took a while to get it but expected as it was their first weekend and the place was just packed.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2019, 09:25:20 AM »

we did. kids had a slice of the cheese and a slice of the pepperoni, respectively.

we ate a spinach, sausage and garlic pizza. Door County prices on the food. 12" pizza was $19 + toppings. i had a beer, kids had sodas. came out to just over $40 total.

pizza was tasty. took a while to get it but expected as it was their first weekend and the place was just packed.
We went to the tiny one in Fish Creek, patio was bigger than the building. I see there's a 2nd one in Sister Bay, is there another one in Egg Harbor with One Barrel?

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2019, 10:08:07 AM »

We went to the tiny one in Fish Creek, patio was bigger than the building. I see there's a 2nd one in Sister Bay, is there another one in Egg Harbor with One Barrel?

Yes, the new One Barrel place there has Wild Tomato pizza in the same space.  Counter service only, and not the full menu, from what I read.

https://wildtomatopizza.com/locations/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:11:11 AM by flyingbison »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2019, 10:27:55 AM »

Yes, the new One Barrel place there has Wild Tomato pizza in the same space.  Counter service only, and not the full menu, from what I read.

Aha, it wasn't on google maps yet, that threw off my google-fu. They must be doing well with 3 locations already.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »

we went to the new one in Egg Harbor, next door to the market. that's where One Barrel partnered with Wild Tomato to open the joint space. it just opened this past weekend.

the WT in Sister Bay is a larger sit-down restaurant with a small beer bar tied in next door.

we were in Sister Bay on Sunday around dinner time and tried to get a table but the wait was too long for the kids. Al Johnson's wait time was far longer. we wound up at Sister Bay Bowl :unsure:  which i would not recommend... at least not for the food.

we walked in and upon glancing around the room my wife said "uh oh, i'm scared that the food is going to suck just based on the age of the people sitting at these tables." it was just short of a nursing home cafeteria in there.

there was one other family who appeared to also be feeding tired, cranky kids who just needed to eat.

youngest ordered the chicken tenders. she got served 4 brown.... tender shaped things.... that were mostly just crust somehow. 3 of them were edible. one of them was some sort of nightmare movie prop. wife cut in to the thing and it was bleeding, with a bone in it .. but it wasn't a leg or wing.

we told the waitress. she replaced the.... thing... with another tender and said "the kitchen said that was a miscellaneous chicken part that shouldn't have come out of the kitchen"  :mellow:

food was bland. perfect for someone with no tastebuds.

bowling alley looked cool. probably original to the bar/restaurant from 60+ years ago.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:38:15 AM by mr. furley »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2019, 10:32:17 AM »

this is correct

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
One Barrel in Madison  :-X

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2019, 12:58:21 PM »

youngest ordered the chicken tenders. she got served 4 brown.... tender shaped things.... that were mostly just crust somehow. 3 of them were edible. one of them was some sort of nightmare movie prop. wife cut in to the thing and it was bleeding, with a bone in it .. but it wasn't a leg or wing.

Meat is murder, guy.

BTW, we had a fish fry from that place, and it was good.   :shrug:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »

Meat is murder, guy.

BTW, we had a fish fry from that place, and it was good.   :shrug:

wife said her scallops were good  :shrug:

given the choice of eating there or not, i'd pass in the future.

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2019, 01:44:00 PM »
Haha Furley and I might have crossed paths there, I was there around 2 or 3 ish on the 24'th. It was a circus.
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2019, 01:50:38 PM »
Haha Furley and I might have crossed paths there, I was there around 2 or 3 ish on the 24'th. It was a circus.

:excited: we were there on the 26th. it was not circus-like 2 days in to the open. just.. busy. it was such a perfect day to be outside. maybe it picked up later in the day. we got there a bit after 11 and were on our way by about 12:30.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2019, 11:33:50 PM »
Does hacienda package any beer or is it all on tap?
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2019, 11:51:30 PM »
Does hacienda package any beer or is it all on tap?
They can hoppy stuff and bottle sour saisons, in my limited experience.