search

Author Topic: Lexington, MA July 7th - 12th  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
Lexington, MA July 7th - 12th
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »
I'll be in Lexington, MA the week of July 8th for work.  I'll be staying and working in Lexington, but will have a rental car and usually be out of the office by 6PM..  Any must hit places in the area?  Was planning on stopping out to Harpoon one night, but other than that, I don't know that area at all.

Help!

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
Re: Lexington, MA July 7th - 12th
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
You're just down the road from jmu, and not too far from Portsmouth, which I feel is a must-stop. Great pub feel there.

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »
You're just down the road from jmu, and not too far from Portsmouth, which I feel is a must-stop. Great pub feel there.

:thumbup:  Thanks!

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
absolutely portsmouth is a must!  it looks like it is only about 1 hour away from lexington.  portsmouth brewery is awesome, plus there is a ton of great restaurants and bars there.  if you have time, pop into earth eagle brewing, they do samples and growler fills.  they focus on gruits, and i really enjoyed stopping in there. 

http://www.eartheaglebrewings.com/

worcester is also under 1 hour away and i highly recommend armsby abbey... and then you have boston which is loaded with awesome stuff.

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
Thanks guys.. I didn't realize Portsmouth was so close.  I just booked the flight and I'll be getting into to Boston around noon on Sunday, so it looks like Portsmouth for a late lunch  :pickle:

Anyone in the area interested in meeting for a beer, let me know!

Offline jmu500

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »
From Lexington, MA you are closer to the Boston/Cambridge/Somerville area than Portsmouth, NH. I like Cambridge Brewing for a brewpub. Great variety of beer and good food.

Cambridge Brewing is probably 15-20 minutes from Lexington and Portsmouth is probably closer to an hour.

I can make more recommendations once you give some more info on what you are looking for. There are a bunch of new breweries opened but most only do tastings (some dont even do tastings) and growler fills. In the 15-20 minute range is Mystic, Nightshift, Idle Hands. If you go to the new Harpoon tasting room (only food they serve are soft pretzels), there is Trillium Brewing (growlers only). There is Jacks Abby in Framingham.

Portsmouth has a few stops along the way to break it up a little. There is a brewery called Blue Lobster in Hampton ($1 - 4 oz samplers and growlers) and Throwback Brewery.

I live in Lowell and can meet up its about 30 minutes north of Lexington. Let me know if you are looking for brewery stops or food places with a beer selection or beer places with a food selection.

Offline jmu500

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »
Places to buy beer close by:
Bermans - 55 Massachusetts Avenue, Lexington, MA
Craft Beer Cellar - 51 Leonard St, Belmont, MA
Redstone, Rapid and Center Beverage - all are located on Main St. in Stoneham, MA

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »
good call on Jacks Abby -- definitely a must if you like lagers!

i haven't been to trillium, but have only heard amazing things.

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
From Lexington, MA you are closer to the Boston/Cambridge/Somerville area than Portsmouth, NH. I like Cambridge Brewing for a brewpub. Great variety of beer and good food.

Cambridge Brewing is probably 15-20 minutes from Lexington and Portsmouth is probably closer to an hour.

I can make more recommendations once you give some more info on what you are looking for. There are a bunch of new breweries opened but most only do tastings (some dont even do tastings) and growler fills. In the 15-20 minute range is Mystic, Nightshift, Idle Hands. If you go to the new Harpoon tasting room (only food they serve are soft pretzels), there is Trillium Brewing (growlers only). There is Jacks Abby in Framingham.

Portsmouth has a few stops along the way to break it up a little. There is a brewery called Blue Lobster in Hampton ($1 - 4 oz samplers and growlers) and Throwback Brewery.

I live in Lowell and can meet up its about 30 minutes north of Lexington. Let me know if you are looking for brewery stops or food places with a beer selection or beer places with a food selection.

:thumbup:  Awesome info.  Ok, so here's what I am thinking.  I'd like to know about the places that are either A.  good food/beer combo or B. exceptional beer, a must stop.   I was thinking about portsmouth on Sunday because I've heard great things about their beer (nase sent me a growler of a double IPA many years ago and it was a solid beer) and they look to have a decent menu (and I'll have the time on Sunday).

Since I am flying home Friday, I can hit some of the closer places when I get out of work during the week.  Places that have food/beer would be the most convenient for me in this regard. 

Yeah, let me know what day/time works if you can meet up for sure!

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 11:32:28 PM »
Strongly recommend Mystic and Jack's Abby, and Trillium sounds awesome as well.  Not sure if we'll be cruising through the area, but if so I'll definitely try and meet up.  Enjoy! :cheers:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline jmu500

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »

:thumbup:  Awesome info.  Ok, so here's what I am thinking.  I'd like to know about the places that are either A.  good food/beer combo or B. exceptional beer, a must stop.   I was thinking about portsmouth on Sunday because I've heard great things about their beer (nase sent me a growler of a double IPA many years ago and it was a solid beer) and they look to have a decent menu (and I'll have the time on Sunday).

Since I am flying home Friday, I can hit some of the closer places when I get out of work during the week.  Places that have food/beer would be the most convenient for me in this regard. 

I would say that Cambridge Brewing is a must stop then. Right by there is Lord Hobo (great beer selection, not my favorite spot), Meadhall (expensive beer list), Atwoods Tavern, if you want to treat yourself Hungry Mother is also close by. 

The Gaff in Waltham is probably close to your hotel and should hit A on your list.

Tod Mott is no longer at the Portsmouth Brewery but his replacement has done a good job and has increased the variety of PB beers on tap. I may be able to meet you there on Sunday. My wife and I are going to be up that way for the weekend.

There are some real good italian restaurants but they wont have a good beer selection (maybe Sam Summer) but would be worth a stop for a dinner. If you are going to do lobsters I would recommend somewhere in the Portsmouth area when you are up that way.

Davis Square in Somerville (15 mintues) has a bunch of spots too. Redbones, M3, Foundry, 5 Horses, Painted Burro, Flatbreads. All have different styles of food and decent beer selections.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »

I would say that Cambridge Brewing is a must stop then. Right by there is Lord Hobo (great beer selection, not my favorite spot), Meadhall (expensive beer list), Atwoods Tavern, if you want to treat yourself Hungry Mother is also close by. 

The Gaff in Waltham is probably close to your hotel and should hit A on your list.

Tod Mott is no longer at the Portsmouth Brewery but his replacement has done a good job and has increased the variety of PB beers on tap. I may be able to meet you there on Sunday. My wife and I are going to be up that way for the weekend.

There are some real good italian restaurants but they wont have a good beer selection (maybe Sam Summer) but would be worth a stop for a dinner. If you are going to do lobsters I would recommend somewhere in the Portsmouth area when you are up that way.

Davis Square in Somerville (15 mintues) has a bunch of spots too. Redbones, M3, Foundry, 5 Horses, Painted Burro, Flatbreads. All have different styles of food and decent beer selections.

:yes: :yes: :yes:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
Really appreciate the info everyone!   Thanks for all the local knowledge jmu, sounds like some good spots for me to check out.

Jmu, I'll PM you my cell, just text or call me if you can make it on Sunday.

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »
I didn't make it out to Portsmouth,  but so far T
he Gaff and Cambridge brewing =$$$ 

Both are great places.  Cambridge has a Brett sour on now that is fantastic!

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 08:07:39 PM »
I didn't make it out to Portsmouth,  but so far T
he Gaff and Cambridge brewing =$$$ 

Both are great places.  Cambridge has a Brett sour on now that is fantastic!

:thumbup:  The Thin White Duke of brewing (Will Meyer bears more than a passing resemblance to Bowie) knows his stuff.

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »
I just wanted to recap this trip as I was thinking about it.  Thanks for the advice everyone, I had a good time outside of work, a big thanks to jmu for his suggestions and meeting up with me for dinner and some beers one night.

So, staying in Waltham and travelling to Boston and surrounding cities was nice, looking back, these were my favs.

- Cambridge Brewing - Their Jack Straw Brett Sour was the tops for beer on this trip IMO.
- The Gaff - Good call, great burger/beer selection and the bartender was from GR!
- Olde Magouns Saloon - Met jmu500 here and he hooked me up with some "wicked" local brews :)
- Quincy Market and surrounding area - Fun tourist area
- Bukowski Tavern - Hole in the wall under a parking garage downtown, but cool place with great beers on tap!
- Fenway Park area - History!
- Harpoon Brewery - Really nice place and 19 beers on tap.
- Gordons - Was able to buy some Firestone Walker and Green Flash  :cry:

All in all, I feel I got to see some cool parts of Boston and surrounding areas and also got to experience the beer scene out there.  Was a good trip, I am planning to take my family back some day.  Thanks for the help everyone.

Thanks again for the beers and suggestions jmu... If you see this, shoot me your address, I have some local beers coming your way.

Offline jmu500

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 01:51:33 PM »
 :cheers:

Glad you enjoyed your time and were able to hit up a few of the places I suggested. I can always send more Jacks Abby if you liked it.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 04:46:39 PM »
- Bukowski Tavern - Hole in the wall under a parking garage downtown, but cool place with great beers on tap!

:furley:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »

:furley:

Yep.  Basically carved out of teh corner of the bottom level of the garage.  Solid tap list, generally grouchy staff but that's part of teh charm.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
sounds interesting.  first i've heard of such a place. 

then, space being at a premium out east it makes perfect sense
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.