Thank you for the years of support! TheBeerSpot will permanently redirect to this discord server at 11:59 PM PST on 12/31/22.
Please see this thread for more details.
search

Author Topic: Swabbin Brews  (Read 12611 times)

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
Swabbin Brews
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:52:53 AM »
Finally, hopefully, going to get my first batch in tomorrow after work.  Going with a pale ale with caramel 40, 2row, galaxy, and cascade.  My IBUs were going to be too high to use the galaxy for the full boil, so i went with the cascade with some galaxy to finish up.  My roommates aren't big hoppy fans so I was hoping to keep this a little mellow, but I kept tweaking stuff and getting it back up.  I think it should end up being around 60 IBUs if everything goes as planned (it won't).

I made my starter last week thinking that I would brew last weekend.  Should it still be ok to use?
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
Re: Swabbin Brews
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »
"APA" w/ cascade and galaxy

Well fuck me, that was an interesting first brew....  Everything was going good until I realized my burner wasn't pumping out enough heat.  Ended up having to move to the stove top to get a boil.  Thankfully I (Brac) got the issue figured out so next time will be good to go.  Everything went pretty smoothly from there, wort chiller worked pretty good although I'm going to modify the setup to get it a little more efficient.  Then there was the siphoning......fuck.  Either me AND my roommate are complete tards or my siphoning cane is garbage.  Ended up spilling all over the place and putting a bunch of oxygen into my wort through multiple failed attempts.  Finally got it to go and now she's fermenting away in a nice comfy blanket.  Ended up darker than I expected and based on the wort, it should be pretty damn hoppy.

Ready for my next attempt, but need more storage.  Getting more stuff in the mail tomorrow to do a saison.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
The fresh wort is nothing like the final product.  I always find that the hop character is harsh and nasty no matter what in fresh wort and that gets cleaned up in fermentation quite a bit.  It is likely not as bitter as you think it will be.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
Oxygen is good at that point; yeast love it.

Offline pwoods

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
Buy an auto siphon.   :bowtie: :cheers:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 02:17:12 AM »

Done :ok:

Looks like my fermentation is winding down now.  Going to let it sit for a few more days to completely finish (and until the auto siphon arrives) and then get it bottled up.  Should be nice and carbed by the 4th, when I will probably brew the next batch.

Speaking of.....I got a white labs yeast vial.  Is this fine to just pitch on my wort or do I need a starter?

Offline smellysell

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 02:57:42 AM »

Looks like my fermentation is winding down now.  Going to let it sit for a few more days to completely finish (and until the auto siphon arrives) and then get it bottled up.  Should be nice and carbed by the 4th, when I will probably brew the next batch.

Speaking of.....I got a white labs yeast vial.  Is this fine to just pitch on my wort or do I need a starter?

Depends on the gravity of what you're brewing, and which yeast strain.

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 03:03:22 AM »

It's a saison, don't remember the name of the yeast off the top of my head, but a wl saison yeast.

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »

It's a saison, don't remember the name of the yeast off the top of my head, but a wl saison yeast.
If the yeast is less than a month old and your OG isn't like 1.080, I'd just pitch it.  It'll be stressed but it'll also push out all the Saison flavors you're looking for.  Also, look up the optimal temp range for the strain... Saisons like the heat  :ale:

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »

If the yeast is less than a month old and your OG isn't like 1.080, I'd just pitch it.  It'll be stressed but it'll also push out all the Saison flavors you're looking for.  Also, look up the optimal temp range for the strain... Saisons like the heat  :ale:

Yep, some of the saison strains are really finicky, so figure out which strain you're using and I can help with temp range. I brewed about 20 saisons probably, so have a pretty good idea which yeast strains like what.

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 02:42:44 AM »
WL568 - says ideal temps are 70-80.  In the garage where I've been fermenting it's been sitting around 70-72.  There's a place inside I could keep it that's a little warmer if I need to.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 01:58:12 PM »
I am thinking about transferring/dry hopping my APA in about a week.  I only have a bottling bucket with an airlock, is this ok to use?  Is there a general rule of thumb on the amount of hops/time for dry hopping?  I used Cascade (60 min) and Galaxy (10 min) in my boil.  Was thinking about using either more Galaxy or some Nelson Sauvin.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »
I am thinking about transferring/dry hopping my APA in about a week.  I only have a bottling bucket with an airlock, is this ok to use?  Is there a general rule of thumb on the amount of hops/time for dry hopping?  I used Cascade (60 min) and Galaxy (10 min) in my boil.  Was thinking about using either more Galaxy or some Nelson Sauvin.

No more than 7 days.  I'd throw them in the primary after two weeks, then keg or bottle after another week.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »

No more than 7 days.  I'd throw them in the primary after two weeks, then keg or bottle after another week.

This is what I do too

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »

This is what I do too

How much?  I assume it depends on which hop.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »

This is what I do too

How much?  I assume it depends on which hop.

1-2 oz usually.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 02:50:45 AM »
I need more carboys.....

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »
I just updated my recipe on beersmith of my Pale Ale based on the actual alpha% of the hops I have.  Cascade was significantly higher than what was in the database.  Oh well.

Also brewed my saison yesterday and everything went smooth.  Here's the recipe.  Got a OG of 1.068, estimated was 1.062

10# pils
1.5# wheat
4oz crystal 60
1.5oz saaz @45
1oz nelson sauvin @20
1oz motueka @5

WLP568

bubbling away nicely at around 75-80

I hope it finishes a little higher than the estimated FG, don't really want a 7.5% saison......

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »
I just updated my recipe on beersmith of my Pale Ale based on the actual alpha% of the hops I have.  Cascade was significantly higher than what was in the database.  Oh well.

Also brewed my saison yesterday and everything went smooth.  Here's the recipe.  Got a OG of 1.068, estimated was 1.062

10# pils
1.5# wheat
4oz crystal 60
1.5oz saaz @45
1oz nelson sauvin @20
1oz motueka @5

WLP568

bubbling away nicely at around 75-80

I hope it finishes a little higher than the estimated FG, don't really want a 7.5% saison......

What was the mash schedule? I'd bag the crystal in a saison, personally.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 12:23:30 AM »
Also, add a little sugar in place of the pils to help dry it out. Rye is also delicious in a saison.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
Nearly shat myself when I found the room I'm fermenting in at 90 degrees last night  :o:  Oh well, it's a fairly high temperature yeast so I'll see how it turns out.

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 10:19:31 PM »
Saison?  You're good.  :coffee:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 10:31:30 PM »

I fermented mine between 95 and 100 on purpose.  Drinking one of the last glasses of it right now and feeling like I should get my shit together and brew it again.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 10:45:20 PM »

I fermented mine between 95 and 100 on purpose.  Drinking one of the last glasses of it right now and feeling like I should get my shit together and brew it again.

Yep, same thing I told him. I always fermented 565 in the mid 90s because otherwise it is a pain in the ass, but at that temp it is a monster. Only used 568 once, and didn't ferment it that hot, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »
I usually only brew saisons in July so that I can ferment them in the hot garage ;)

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »
Finally getting to drink homebrew.  Pale Ale turned oot quite tasty  :ale: :ale: :ale:

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »
 :thumbup:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
Just got hooked up on craigslist with 2 more carboys and other random stuff. 

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 12:47:57 PM »
About time to bottle my saison.  Thinking about twerking ( :pickle: ) the recipe a little and brewing this weekend and pitching on the yeast cake.  Mainly because I have everything I need and am trying to spend less.  Might also do a porter using pils.  Thoughts?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »
About time to bottle my saison.  Thinking about twerking ( :pickle: ) the recipe a little and brewing this weekend and pitching on the yeast cake.  Mainly because I have everything I need and am trying to spend less.  Might also do a porter using pils.  Thoughts?

I'd brew on the yeast cake for sure if you have time to brew.  Maybe go with a small (table strength) saison or a saison noir?

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 01:16:14 PM »

I'd brew on the yeast cake for sure if you have time to brew.  Maybe go with a small (table strength) saison or a saison noir?

What effects does using the yeast cake have on the beer?  Do I need to do a lower abv beer? 

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »

What effects does using the yeast cake have on the beer?  Do I need to do a lower abv beer?

No, you could actually do a stronger beer because the yeast are already built up.

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »

No, you could actually do a stronger beer because the yeast are already built up.
There's a ton of yeast in that cake, so stronger is better, but you'll still probably be over pitching regardless of strength.  Since you'll probably want a lot of yeast character from the yeast(if it was IPA cake, pitching a DIPA right on top would be great), you might want to scoop out half or more of it and pitch a bigger saison(8-10%) on top.  Even a standard strength saison on the whole cake will be good, but you'll be missing some of the strong yeast flavors.  It'll still be a good beer, though  :thumbup:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »
I'm gonna try a smaller saison, the first one I did is higher ABV so I want something different and prefer smaller saisons.  Any hop suggestions for a small saison?  thinking about just using nelson.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »
I'm gonna try a smaller saison, the first one I did is higher ABV so I want something different and prefer smaller saisons.  Any hop suggestions for a small saison?  thinking about just using nelson.

Nelson might be good, I like Goldings or Hallertau. I'd just use a cup or so of the yeast cake if you're doing a small one, or like P was saying, you might not get a whole lot of yeast character (emphasis on might).

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »
My table saison is nearing completion so I'm trying to think of 1 more beer to pitch on the yeast cake.  I don't really want to do a 3rd saison so I was thinking that an IPA could be an interesting way to go.  Thoughts?  Any other suggestions?

:coffee:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »
Got the good to brew a porter this weekend.  Maybe a belgian(ish) IPA too if I get to it.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »
Gonna brew anything Swabian? :coffee:

Just got hooked up on craigslist with 2 more randoms. 

:unsure:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
Got the good to brew a porter this weekend.  Maybe a belgian(ish) IPA too if I get to it.

Had some issues with my porter, lost more volume during the boil than I planned on and came in high on my OG.  I had some extra runnings that I had kept to get the volume back up once I noticed it was getting low, so I still ended up with ~ 5 gallons.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 01:10:21 PM »
Porter turned out delish, still could use a little more time to fully carb.  Trying to decide something to brew next weekend that will most likely be my last batch for a while as the weather turns pretty shitty this time of year.  Don't suppose using propane in the garage is the best idea.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
Porter turned out delish, still could use a little more time to fully carb.  Trying to decide something to brew next weekend that will most likely be my last batch for a while as the weather turns pretty shitty this time of year.  Don't suppose using propane in the garage is the best idea.

I use propane in the garage and don't close the door all the way with a fan at the bottom if I have to, but I brew on the stove top too.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »
Propane in the garage works... just leave the door open, and be careful that you don't slip on ice

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »
Just grabbed a FG on my hefe and it's delicious.  Putting a half gallon each on raspberries and peaches.  Brewing a weizenbock to rack onto the hefe cake tomorrow.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 06:18:48 PM »
Just grabbed a FG on my hefe and it's delicious.  Putting a half gallon each on raspberries and peaches.  Brewing a weizenbock to rack onto the hefe cake tomorrow.

Awesome!

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 11:55:59 AM »

Awesome!

:no:  Had a boilover incident.  Immediately purchased some of the anti-foam stuff.  That was a huge fucking mess.  I look forward to getting to try the hefe finally this weekend though.  :ale: and get the fruited hefes and weizenbock bottled up.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 12:53:45 PM »
yikes, aren't you a kitchen brewer?  I bet that would be quite the mess

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »
I picked up the Wyeast 1203-PC Burton IPA Blend last time I was at the store, mainly because it was something different than what they always have.  Thinking I want to do an English Bitter (possibly a Bitter Brewer clone) followed by an IPA to use up whatever hops I have left.

Then I'll be done for a while  :unsure:

After looking at the NB Bitter Brewer recipe, I'm going to have to do some modifications based on my shitty availability of ingredients.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »
Ok, I found almost everything I needed.  Two exceptions, Glacier Hops and English Medium Crystal.  Looks like I can sub either Fuggle or Willamette for the Glacier.  Anyone have advice on this?  Also have no clue what I can replace that grain with, Looks like Crystal 60 could work, suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:47:00 PM by Swabs »

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »
English Medium Crystal...Looks like Crystal 60 could work, suggestions?

If it is a low enough percent, I would not worry about it that much.  Whatever crystal you have on hand in the 30-70ish range should do the trick.