search

Author Topic: South of LA Family Friendly Stops  (Read 1275 times)

Offline WalrusMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
South of LA Family Friendly Stops
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »
Looking to see if there are any suggestions to this, as I'm going down to Disneyland with my fiance and her mom and sister in about a week.  I'm probably going to stop at Hollister Brewing Co to get a growler on the way down (and perhaps on the way back), but we've got a day in between a couple days at Disneyland to go around and see stuff.  We'll be going towards the coast, and I'm probably going to stop at Hollingshead Deli for lunch that day.  I'm looking for the best dinner place to go.

Options I've found:
The Tap House (been before and was kind of annoyed by the atmosphere, but also it had just opened so maybe it's settled in better)
Slater's 50/50

Any other suggestions?  Want somewhere with good beer for me but for the non beer drinkers still a good meal.  Suggestions on where to go along the coast would be accepted as well.

Offline t0rin0

• Pale Ale
  • Goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeee Little Baby.
    • Beers sampled
Re: South of LA Family Friendly Stops
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »
If you're not bringing kids I think most places that arent biker or dive bars and/or have a metal band playing are family friendly enough for a couple of adults. There are a decent number of breweries in a 5-10 mile radius of Disney Land:

North:
Anaheim Brewery (cool place, decent German beers, next door to Umami Burger and you can bring your beers over there too)
Bruery (worth a stop, tons of beers on tap and stuff to go)
Bootleggers (havent been to the new tasting room it has a patio and is supposed to be really nice)
Taps (high end sea food, some good beers, some not so good beers)
BJs (I'm sure you've been to a few of these but this is the original and sometimes has their sour beers on tap)
Downtown Fullerton can be a fun place but it's loaded with college kids on Friday and Saturday

East:
Nobel Aleworks (used to be crap, now the beer is better, industrial brewery)
JT Schmidts (crappy beer but nice place and I hear decent food, across the street from the pond)
Old Orange (meh, another warehouse brewery)
Valiant Brewing (havent been yet but another warehouse brewery)
Oggi's  Orange(Chucky Cheese type "family friendly" atmosphere but absolutely miserable beer quality, though they recently had a good DIPA)

South:
Oggi's Garden Grove (havent  been but I assume it's like the one in Orange)
Alcatraz Brewing (in the Block at Orange, beer is meh, food is alright, personally I hate malls but it's an outdoor mall so you guys might have fun there, also a mile or two from Haven)
Tustin Brewing (a little further down 5 but good food and pretty good beer)
Respect the badge
He earned it with his blood
Fear the gun
Your sentence may be death because...

Offline t0rin0

• Pale Ale
    • Beers sampled
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:34 AM »
Slaters is pretty nice, at least the one in Anaheim Hills is. If you go out that way there is also Out of the Park Pizza which is a hangout for little league teams during the day and more of a bar atmosphere at night. Both have decent beer and food.

If you have a whole day I'd recomend making the trek to either or both of the Beachwood locations. Seal Beach is right on the water and is a nice place to hang out at night. Long Beach is fun and it's next to Congregation and Rock Bottom. Also you get 2 hours of free parking there.

If you want to see a bit more of the southern CA coastline you could venture down to Pizza Port San Clemente where you can look out over the ocean (sort of) while eating your pizza and drinking some good IPAs. San Clemente is fairly hippie in the sense that there are used book stores, smoke shops, surf shops, and tons of brahs but it's rich kids pretending to be poor hippies. If you go during the day it's a great place to spend a few hours wandering around.

Hollingshead is a decent lunch time stop but service can be very hit and miss and I wouldnt call it "family friendly". They're old school but the sandwiches are pretty good and you can find some decent stuff on tap. Also, you can open any of the bottles that are on the shelves. If you go here you might as well go another mile up the road and check out the circle and see Haven and a few other trendy restaurants.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:24:21 AM by t0rin0 »
Respect the badge
Fear the gun

Offline WalrusMan

• Pale Ale
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:10:50 PM »
Hmm..well seems like we're going to go to Slaters for dinner (probably) but haven't decided on a lunch stop.  Hollingshead may be out...Yelp reviews plus you guys making it sound like more of a :shrug: place put it out of our sights I think.  What's the cost on Haven?  It sounds good.

The family friendly part comes partly from my fiancee's mother being a mother in law but also from her sister being 15 so bars are definitely out of the question.

And as plans have changed our Friday down there seems to be a day touring around the Hollywood area. :explode: Any good tips around there?  And if not for beer, even just for cheap good food.

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:09:09 AM »
Hmm..well seems like we're going to go to Slaters for dinner (probably) but haven't decided on a lunch stop.  Hollingshead may be out...Yelp reviews plus you guys making it sound like more of a :shrug: place put it out of our sights I think.  What's the cost on Haven?  It sounds good.

The family friendly part comes partly from my fiancee's mother being a mother in law but also from her sister being 15 so bars are definitely out of the question.

And as plans have changed our Friday down there seems to be a day touring around the Hollywood area. :explode: Any good tips around there?  And if not for beer, even just for cheap good food.

Nothing to see in Hollywood.  Its the biggest dead end tourist trap in the world.  Nightlife is amusing but that doesn't sound like part of your plans.

Go to Venice instead and walk the beach.  Its a tourist attraction that should be an easy sell to the family.  The freaks will always be out and you never know what is going to happen.  At the north end of the boardwalk is a bar called On the Waterfront.  Its a great place to stop and get apps or lunch.  And huge glasses of German beer.  Makes the walk back far more interesting. 

From Venice, you can pop over to 3rd st in Santa Monica and do some "shopping".  Or hit the Santa Monica pier and do more mindless tourist stuff.  But stay out of Hollywood. 
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 02:11:27 AM »
And don't miss Hollister.  Its the best brewery north of Orange county

Offline t0rin0

• Pale Ale
    • Beers sampled
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:17:57 PM »
And don't miss Hollister.  Its the best brewery north of Orange county after Ladyface.

Respect the badge
Fear the gun

Offline WalrusMan

• Pale Ale
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 10:33:09 PM »

Nothing to see in Hollywood.  Its the biggest dead end tourist trap in the world.  Nightlife is amusing but that doesn't sound like part of your plans....But stay out of Hollywood.

Yea I'll be overridden 3 to 1 on it...I'm getting my stops at various places in at some points during the trip at least.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 11:32:52 PM »
And don't miss Hollister.  Its the best brewery north of Orange county after Ladyface.

You really think so?  I must have picked the wrong beers while I was there.

Offline Sebowski

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 03:09:46 AM »

I'm with you. Ladyface was fine for me. Hollister was awesome.
Home is where the Nelson is.

Offline t0rin0

• Pale Ale
    • Beers sampled
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »

I'm with you. Ladyface was fine for me. Hollister was awesome.

I guess I've only been to Hollister once since Noah took over. I wouldnt be surprised if it got better.
Respect the badge
Fear the gun

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 04:35:26 PM »
If you do Slaters in Anaheim, definitely do Out of the Park Pizza too. Kids are allowed there until close, and they have a great beer selection. They have an arcade area kids too.
J> I'm telling you, eat just a little and then rub the flesh
Can't help it....I have man-love for the Cuban Missile.

Offline WalrusMan

• Pale Ale
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 11:57:38 PM »
Thanks for your help everyone, heading down on Thursday and the plan is to stop at Hollister on the way down around 1:30 or 2 for happy hour.  On our day at the beach looks like we'll stop at Slaters for lunch and maybe go to OOTP Pizza later.

And of course stopping on the way back to get a growler at Hollister, probably stop at Tap It for a 6er of the IPA, maybe a few other places.

Offline aufaber

• Pilsner
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
I'll too say that OOTP is great for a family. Also that westside is 100% correct and Hollywood is a bum infested shithole.. but you can stop by bluepalms if you need a beer and snack while you're there, it's on the "walk of fame".

Either beachwood is my favorite beer place in OC.

In my 10+ trips to Haven, I have had maybe 1-2 good experiences. Wait staff actively doesn't want you to return and believes you lucky to even get a seat.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »
I went to Slaters in San Diego with the GF last week. We had 5 beers, 2 burgers, and shared fries. Tab was $75  :o
Home is where the Nelson is.

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 01:00:40 AM »
Heading down there next week.  Any updates on breweries?  Was looking at bottle logic and the Bruery.  I'll have my kids with me so any suggestions would be great.  Food is a bonus.  Looking into "out of the Park Pizza" per Jared's recommendation. 

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »
what area will you be in?

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 03:19:25 AM »

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »
I'm a HUGE fan of Bottle Logic these days. It's the brewery I spend the most time at.  Also, very close to BL is Bruery Terreaux, which I find leaps and bounds better than the Bruerys main tasting room. Lots of sours there too, if that's your bag. These are all close to Out of the Park Pizza too.

Much closer to Disneyland, and if you don't mind a startup environment, I would give Green Cheek a go. The brewmaster at Noble left to start up Green Cheek, and it's pretty obvious the beer talent followed him there. I also enjoy Unsung Brewery, a superhero themed brewery right next door to the Anaheim Packing House (which is also a REALLY cool place, for dinner then beers at Unsung). Protip: Just valet park at the Packing House. It's 3 bucks and totally worth it.

Beachwood also opened a 3rd bar down in Huntington Beach, just south of Anaheim. Also down there is Barley Forge, and while I'm not really big fan, it's got a solid following.

Let me know when you're going to be down and if you have some beer buddy meetup time, I'll have a beer with you!

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 06:44:25 PM »
I'm a HUGE fan of Bottle Logic these days. It's the brewery I spend the most time at.  Also, very close to BL is Bruery Terreaux, which I find leaps and bounds better than the Bruerys main tasting room. Lots of sours there too, if that's your bag. These are all close to Out of the Park Pizza too.

Much closer to Disneyland, and if you don't mind a startup environment, I would give Green Cheek a go. The brewmaster at Noble left to start up Green Cheek, and it's pretty obvious the beer talent followed him there. I also enjoy Unsung Brewery, a superhero themed brewery right next door to the Anaheim Packing House (which is also a REALLY cool place, for dinner then beers at Unsung). Protip: Just valet park at the Packing House. It's 3 bucks and totally worth it.

Beachwood also opened a 3rd bar down in Huntington Beach, just south of Anaheim. Also down there is Barley Forge, and while I'm not really big fan, it's got a solid following.

Let me know when you're going to be down and if you have some beer buddy meetup time, I'll have a beer with you!

We will be at Universal Studios tomorrow. Then staying in Buena Park the next two days leaving on Friday.  I would love to meet up for a beer. I'll talk to Malissa. Of the places you recommended are most of them family friendly?

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »

We will be at Universal Studios tomorrow. Then staying in Buena Park the next two days leaving on Friday.  I would love to meet up for a beer. I'll talk to Malissa. Of the places you recommended are most of them family friendly?

Nice! That whole Harry Potter expansion they did, it's crazy good, and I'm not even into HP! haha

All the breweries I listed are family friendly and dog friendly! Bottle Logic is probably the busiest one of the group (and they are in the middle of a big expansion, so that's always fun), but it's got a sci-fi theme with a big wall of old school electrical panels with gauges, knobs, etc. that kids love. The MOST kid friendly one is Out of the Park Pizza, because they have a whole arcade and games area for the kids. Unsung also has an edge, because it's superhero themed and usually sparsely populated. And on top of it all, I believe every one of them have board games and such too.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »

Bottle Logic was just ok when I was there with you. :shrug:

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 09:00:58 PM »

LOL I still tell people about that. It's never been so void of beer as it was that weekend you flew in.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 12:01:34 AM »

LOL I still tell people about that. It's never been so void of beer as it was that weekend you flew in.

And that Saison was not good.