search

Author Topic: Ye Olde ***Official*** Lambic thread  (Read 39702 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Ye Olde ***Official*** Lambic thread
« Reply #1300 on: December 03, 2021, 07:45:38 PM »
Well, this was unexpected. Brussels Beer Project opens a lambic brewery. :o: :popcorn:

https://www.beercity.brussels/home/2021/where-are-you-from-brussels-beer-project-launches-their-lambic-brewery

"Their Dansaert facility has brewed its last “clean” beer (an imperial dry-hopped saison stout). With BBP’s new Port Sud brewery in Anderlecht going online in a few weeks, they are turning their central Brussels location into a spontaneous and mixed fermentation brewery."
I wonder if they will make overpriced bottles or actually affordable beer.
Dunno, but they gotta pay for all those new barrels and coolship. Betting they will be competitive w/Cantillon price-wise. They are using younger than 2 year lambic in their first release.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1301 on: December 04, 2021, 06:11:25 PM »
A Brazilian brewery making “Belgian Lambic”:

https://untappd.com/b/cervejaria-imigracao-belgian-lambic/3255447

Is this just an egregious mislabeling or are they sourcing lambic overseas?  :confused:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #1302 on: December 05, 2021, 08:03:23 PM »
Is this just an egregious mislabeling or are they sourcing lambic overseas?  :confused:
I'd guess it is not the latter. Egregious, may be too much. It isn't like their haven't been a ton of US beers called lambic. Is it the "Belgian" that makes it more egregious?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1303 on: December 05, 2021, 10:59:40 PM »
I'd guess it is not the latter. Egregious, may be too much. It isn't like their haven't been a ton of US beers called lambic. Is it the "Belgian" that makes it more egregious?

Yes. There’s a big lexical difference between Belgian and Belgian-style. Saying it’s “Belgian Lambic” is total misrepresentation, while Belgian-style implies intent to pay homage or imitate. You wouldn’t slap a “French Chardonnay” label on a California wine. It misrepresents the origin and is totally false.

They labeled another one “Gueuze Lambic”, which is a redundant outdated term no longer in use. That makes me think they just don’t understand the meaning.

If it’s not spontaneous, coolshipped, etc. it’s not even “lambic-style”. Inoculating barrels with a commercial “lambic” culture is a wild ale.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 11:02:32 PM by emerge »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1304 on: December 06, 2021, 06:42:43 PM »
I get what’s you’re saying. I hope this doesn’t read condescendingly but it’s Brazil. I feel like their craft seen is inchoate and their understanding of the finer points of these things is behind many of the brewers here. I mean even beer geeks in the states often use the wrong terminology. It seems like the difference between Belgian and Belgian-style may not translate well in other languages.

I did a RB search and found one example of an American brewery that did the same over a decade ago. But it was nice to see no other more recent examples of such poor labeling.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1305 on: December 06, 2021, 07:27:50 PM »
I get what’s you’re saying. I hope this doesn’t read condescendingly but it’s Brazil. I feel like their craft seen is inchoate and their understanding of the finer points of these things is behind many of the brewers here. I mean even beer geeks in the states often use the wrong terminology. It seems like the difference between Belgian and Belgian-style may not translate well in other languages.

I did a RB search and found one example of an American brewery that did the same over a decade ago. But it was nice to see no other more recent examples of such poor labeling.

In a way, I see it as repeating the past mistakes of US brewers. The craft brewing scene may be a little behind there, but if nothing else very enthusiastic. There are some established lager breweries, and upstart craft brewers. Some homebrewers there tried to take credit for fruited kettle sours a few years ago, lol. It seems like they’re discovering the full spectrum out there, and hopefully some innovation comes out of it.

There are a lot of Brazilian beer geeks visiting Belgium, and their beer scene is a little more reverent of European traditions, in general. Vast Belgian imports in urban shops, better than what we get here. Only a matter of time before the fruit goop & haze take over I guess. :bag:

I think this is a case of “hey, we can do that” without realizing the language carries deeper meaning.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1306 on: December 07, 2021, 03:52:01 AM »
This sounds pretty cool, a wine/lambic blend:

“MeuZenne Vin Lambieke batch 3
Belgium
Alcohol 12.0%

Sommelier Andy De Brouwer created a refined sparkling drink from a blend of lambic beer from Brouwerij Den Herberg and a Belgian vin claire from the cooperative Vin de Liège: the 'meuZenne'. With a reference to the Meuse and the Senne.

The creation is based on the half-and-half, served in a number of Brussels brasseries. But the meuZenne is of absolute top quality. The nose shows aromas of fresh white wine, with some yeasty notes. The mouth is full and creamy, with a long finish.”

More info with tasting notes:
https://essentiellevino-be.translate.goog/2019/08/20/andy-de-brouwer-fait-breveter-le-vin-lambieke/?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1307 on: December 07, 2021, 09:29:17 AM »
Damn, I'd love to try that. The few times I have tried infected wine I have really enjoyed it.  And, I know some beer geeks that can find red wine with brett.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1308 on: December 07, 2021, 09:41:39 AM »
Damn, I'd love to try that. The few times I have tried infected wine I have really enjoyed it.  And, I know some beer geeks that can find red wine with brett.

Yeah, me too. I'm surprised this is the first one i've heard of. More of a co-ferment blend of wine and lambic than "lambic aged with wine grapes" that's a lot more common. Seems like it's only in wine shops and restaurants in BE (mostly Wallonia), but would be cool to get some.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1309 on: December 07, 2021, 06:55:51 PM »
Maybe BH would be willing to get some  :)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1310 on: December 08, 2021, 08:22:15 AM »
Maybe BH would be willing to get some  :)

Looks like it’s bottled by the winery, and mostly at wine shops/restaurants in Wallonia. Doesn’t hurt to ask though.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1311 on: December 19, 2021, 05:50:33 PM »

Got these two recently, both fruited with golden plums. Trying to do the math on the ratio of grams per liter, I *think* De Cam is 666.6g per liter, vs. Tilquin 240g/l. Seems absurdly high. Anyone have a more accurate calculation? TIA :nerd:

De Cam 1000kg per 1500 liters
Tilquin 240g per 1 liter

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1312 on: December 20, 2021, 01:28:14 AM »
Tilquin 240g per 1 liter

De Cam: 1000kg / 1500 liters = 1 kg / 1.5 L  = 1000g / 1.5 L = roughly 666g / 1 L

My math works out like yours. 

The googles are telling me an average plum weights 65g. I am having a hard time believing they used 10 plums per liter of beer.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1313 on: December 20, 2021, 09:52:59 AM »
Tilquin 240g per 1 liter

De Cam: 1000kg / 1500 liters = 1 kg / 1.5 L  = 1000g / 1.5 L = roughly 666g / 1 L

My math works out like yours. 

The googles are telling me an average plum weights 65g. I am having a hard time believing they used 10 plums per liter of beer.
:cheers:
I think the golden plums may be a little smaller than red plums. They are used whole though, if this label translation is correct.

"1000 kg of Mirabelles are fermented in its entirety during a year with 1500 liters of young lambic."

Curious if this results in greater fruit "intensity" or not. If they both use young lambic (not specified by Tilquin) they may be somewhat similar, but there's only one way to find out. :ale: :ale:

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #1314 on: December 20, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »
I got a bottle of the Tilquin Mirabelle locally! Really stoked to try it.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1315 on: December 20, 2021, 04:19:07 PM »
I got a bottle of the Tilquin Mirabelle locally! Really stoked to try it.
Nice! :cheers:

It's good, definitely different than Quetsche. There's a similar "spice" note to it, maybe from the plum pits. Hard to describe, but kind of like how kriek can pick up cinnamon from the cherry pits.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1316 on: December 29, 2021, 09:20:32 PM »
My local store got another batch of closeout NB Transatlque Kriek (50% Oude Beersel). Based on the coding, I think these are from 2017. It’s really nice, soft with no rough sourness. The cherry is still there. I’ll have to pick up some more since this is really hitting my palate right.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1317 on: December 30, 2021, 12:41:41 PM »
My local store got another batch of closeout NB Transatlque Kriek (50% Oude Beersel). Based on the coding, I think these are from 2017. It’s really nice, soft with no rough sourness. The cherry is still there. I’ll have to pick up some more since this is really hitting my palate right.

Are these the smaller cork & cage, or the old 22 oz. bombers?
Seeing wild online prices on the 375's, up to $17.99. Local place is trying to charge $19.99 for a 2013 bomber. <_<

Got some Tilquin, Cantillon, Lambic Fabriek, Hanssens, and De Cam on the way. Hanssens was restocked, so i'm hoping it's new stuff from the new barrels.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1318 on: December 31, 2021, 07:45:44 PM »
375ml. $17 usually but $10 on clearance.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1319 on: December 31, 2021, 09:06:16 PM »

$10’s not bad. Looks like i’ve only had the old Boon version, not the Oud Beersel. ISO :excited:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1320 on: December 31, 2021, 09:55:28 PM »

$10’s not bad. Looks like i’ve only had the old Boon version, not the Oud Beersel. ISO :excited:
I’ll save a bottle.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1321 on: December 31, 2021, 10:29:26 PM »

I’ll save a bottle.
Thanks, I think we get it here, will have to check.  :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1322 on: January 06, 2022, 09:44:49 AM »

These are exciting to me, the first bottlings since Hanssens got 90% new barrels in late 2018.

The Oude Gueuze (Dec. 2019) will still have 2-3 year old lambic from their old barrels, though possibly blended with young lambic from the new ones. Cassis (Feb. 2021) is very likely from the new barrel stock.

Using that many new barrels could drastically change the character of their production, away from the acetic quality of the old leaky barrels that were destroyed. Potentially very promising but too early to tell, i'm hopeful that this revitalizes their production.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:47:43 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1323 on: January 14, 2022, 01:48:57 PM »
HORAL gets a new member: Den Herberg :thumbup:

From left to right: Akke Devillé, Gert Christiaens, Bart Devillé, Kloris Devillé & Ann Heremans

Den Herberg Brewery Joins HORAL

Friday, January 14, 2022 — The High Council for Artisanal Lambic Beer (HORAL) welcomed Den Herberg from Buizingen (Halle) as its newest member. At present, 11 gueuze producers have joined HORAL. Brewer Bart Devillé announced that Den Herberg, like all the other HORAL members, will open its doors to the public during the Toer de Geuze 2022.

HORAL chairman Gert Christiaens: "The general assembly of HORAL unanimously approved the membership application of Den Herberg. The past ten years have seen a remarkable rejuvenation in our industry. Several new producers have joined HORAL. Tilquin became a member in 2012, followed by Lambiek Fabriek two years ago. We see this rejuvenation dynamic not only on the producer side but also among consumers. Adults of all ages appreciate Oude Geuze, Oude Kriek, and other lambic beers."

In 2000, Bart Devillé and Ann Heremans bought a large pub that had been empty for years. The initial plan was to use the building as a warehouse for the couple's construction company. Slowly, however, the idea of accommodating a brewery in the building evolved. The works started in 2006. In December 2007, the brewery was operational.

"Initially, we only produced top-fermented beers. In January 2017, we brewed our first lambic. The first Oude Geuze was sold in August 2020," explains Bart Devillé. "The brewing kettle has a capacity of 1800 litres. After boiling, the wort is exposed to the open air in our coolship. Den Herberg is a real family business. Our sons Akke and Kloris also have stepped into the business."

In 2019, Den Herberg produced 1200 hectolitres of beer, almost half of which was lambic. The total lambic stock is currently over 105,000 litres, stored in some 300 oak barrels of 225 and 400 litres. This year, the first casks will come into use. As far as lambic beers are concerned, only Oude Lambiek and 'Oude Geuze Devillé' are currently being marketed. Ninety percent of the production is sold in Belgium.

HORAL (Hoge Raad voor Ambachtelijke Lambiekbieren) was founded in 1997. The organisation unites the majority of lambic breweries and gueuze blenderies in Flemish and Walloon Brabant and has 11 members (Boon, De Oude Cam, De Troch, Den Herberg, Hanssens, Lambiek Fabriek, Lindemans, Mort Subite, Oud Beersel, Tilquin and Timmermans). HORAL’s main objective is the promotion of traditional lambic beers, especially Oude Geuze and Oude Kriek. The association also takes initiatives to protect these beers.

Every two years, HORAL is organising the renowned Toer de Geuze, the open brewery day of the Pajottenland, and the Senne Valley. The next edition will take place on Saturday 30 April and Sunday 1 May 2022.
www.horal.be

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1324 on: January 14, 2022, 04:44:45 PM »
Something the article doesn't mention, they have a farm with 400 Schaerbeekse cherry trees... :yes: :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1325 on: January 21, 2022, 10:20:44 AM »

who would do such a thing? ;) :whistle:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA