search

Author Topic: Ye Olde ***Official*** Lambic thread  (Read 39579 times)

Offline levifunk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilsner
Re: Ye Olde ***Official*** Lambic thread
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
Right, it's not just americans either, wild ales in general I guess. There are a few other Belgian wild ales out there like Cuvee de Ranke, Struiselensis, Fantome, etc. Wish there were even more. :ale:

If it's called "lambic-style" though, I don't think anybody has an issue, and to be honest I don't think they really have an issue with American/wild ales in general, just the casual use of the word lambic specifically, based on the strict regional definition.

I question how strict it actually is.  We romanticise it here, but it seems like some belgian producers get away with murder when making "lambic".
"I've only tried enriched beer, like, once, - I think." - Charlie

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2013, 12:10:53 PM »
Hi, i'm absolutely clueless when it comes to Lambics

Please tell me what they are, what the difference is between Gueze, Lambic, etc., which is more fruity vs. sour

TIA
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2013, 12:17:52 PM »

Please tell me what they are, what the difference is between Gueze, Lambic, etc., which is more fruity vs. sour

TIA
First of all they're called sours, the opposite of hoppys. Also they are lagered for a long time like ales. The brewer puts sugar and wood chips in a steel tank and the lambic fairy yeast magic takes care of the rest. Usually the brewer lays a used horse blanket over the tank for extra horseblanket flavors. Sometimes an angel appears and plays a harp. Also fruit is reason lambic has flavors, gueuze is unflavored lambic and tastes like plain yogurt.

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »
...:mellow:...
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2013, 01:25:34 PM »

TIA
First of all they're called sours, the opposite of hoppys. Also they are lagered for a long time like ales. The brewer puts sugar and wood chips in a steel tank and the lambic fairy yeast magic takes care of the rest. Usually the brewer lays a used horse blanket over the tank for extra horseblanket flavors. Sometimes an angel appears and plays a harp. Also fruit is reason lambic has flavors, gueuze is unflavored lambic and tastes like plain yogurt.

when does jesus wave his magic wand over the beer to make it red? :porked:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »

TIA

Only on the high holidays, or when they're out of punch at the church picnic.

Offline Mark

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »

TIA

:lol: :lol:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »
I feel like there's a lot of misinformation out there, which of course is ripe for parody ;D

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2013, 04:51:40 PM »
I feel like there's a lot of misinformation out there, which of course is ripe for parody ;D

Matt remembers this:

While reading some reviews on Ratebeer years ago of lambics all kinds of descriptors were used: wet hay, grassy, tart, sour(I'm in at this point).  Then: horseblanket, manure, farm, b.o., feet and the kicker - " . . . a certain female smell."

Offline Mark

• Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »

Matt remembers this:

While reading some reviews on Ratebeer years ago of lambics all kinds of descriptors were used: wet hay, grassy, tart, sour(I'm in at this point).  Then: horseblanket, manure, farm, b.o., feet and the kicker - " . . . a certain female smell."

My friend Zac is still locally (in-)famous for this review: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/2557/?ba=nogoodreason  :D

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2013, 06:00:18 PM »

Matt remembers this:

My friend Zac is still locally (in-)famous for this review: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/2557/?ba=nogoodreason  :D

There's a component that's reminiscent of bile and a sort of body-like funk that's like, well, I know I'm going to catch flack for this, but it has to be said. There's a distinct taste of pussy here. I simply don't know how to say it without being crude, I'm sorry. It's the closest thing to the flavor I can describe.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
And this is why it's dangerous to start calling American sours "lambic" or "gueuze"...

Focus on the Beer: Trinity Brewing's Seven Day Sour Vert Gueuze

"We've also brewed the same exact recipe, but we're aging it on oak for a full year before release and calling it '365 Day Oud Gueuze.' It will be an unblended 'old Gueuze.'"

The irresponsibility of spreading this kind of knowledge as if it were an actual gueuze/lambic is astonishing, especially coming from professional brewers.

When I say sour, you need to think extreme pucker, the palate of this beer rivals that of our Old Growth! Although '7 Day' will not be aged on oak, I do need to mention we used some super old skool 'Lambic Royal Decree' procedures for this recipe too (Specifically a first and second 'slims' routine). To understand this procedure it's important that I mention our malt bill is built from over 30% Chit, over 30% raw wheat, and less than 60% barley. In this procedure, we do a three step temperature mash, but before the last sachrification step, we collect ~20% of final volume in our kettle and boil it.  Doing so denatures the enzymes in that volume locking in a ton of extra starches and proteins. Wild microbes love wort which is high in proteins and starches, so once again we're completely structuring this recipe to support the production of sour and funky flavors.   

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:27:59 AM by Javit »
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2013, 01:05:59 AM »
Recently i've been doing some casual research about the many closed breweries that used to produce lambic/gueuze in the 20th century.

Here's a current list of closed lambic breweries (over 100). (PM for list)
So I completed a new phase to this list, just added the general dates the breweries were active, and some links to old documents and breweriana to support the existence of each brewery. Kind of messy, but would eventually like to condense and put out a self-produced zine or something as a fun little project someday. Any additions or corrections to the list are encouraged, not sure if anybody is really into it though. Even if it's just a link to an old related article, poster, glass, etc. it would help :thumbup:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:25:01 PM by emerge »

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2013, 01:09:55 AM »

TIA

Only on the high holidays, or when they're out of punch at the church picnic.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
Zwanze 2013 announced

"According to the medievalists, this religious community was well-known during the middle ages for its fowl fed on draff and, more specifically, for its dish of stuffed Cureghem capon, which was served with a beer brewed at the abbey and apparently drew pilgrims from all over Europe."

FYI: A capon is a rooster that has been castrated to improve the quality of its flesh for food.  Oh the irony. 

Now this is where they start making shit up:
Yet it was truly a heavenly surprise when the excavations uncovered the cell of the abbot, Father Faro. In the small room the archaeologists found quite a few old reference books, one of which contained the original recipes for the beers brewed at the abbey several hundred years ago. We didn't hesitate for a second and decided on the spot to recreate one of these mythical beers.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »
Zwanze 2013 announced

"According to the medievalists, this religious community was well-known during the middle ages for its fowl fed on draff and, more specifically, for its dish of stuffed Cureghem capon, which was served with a beer brewed at the abbey and apparently drew pilgrims from all over Europe."

FYI: A capon is a rooster that has been castrated to improve the quality of its flesh for food.  Oh the irony. 

Now this is where they start making shit up:
Yet it was truly a heavenly surprise when the excavations uncovered the cell of the abbot, Father Faro. In the small room the archaeologists found quite a few old reference books, one of which contained the original recipes for the beers brewed at the abbey several hundred years ago. We didn't hesitate for a second and decided on the spot to recreate one of these mythical beers.

Somehow it reads like a tongue-in-cheek jab at the preciousness/reverence of Trappist beers (Westvleteren, etc.) in beer geek culture.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »
3F Intense Red is in WI... anyone seen it around?

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »

Price? It's slowly trickling out into the states, but if it's even remotely priced like Golden Blend, I'm waiting for the Canadian shipment.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2013, 10:22:42 PM »

Price? It's slowly trickling out into the states, but if it's even remotely priced like Golden Blend, I'm waiting for the Canadian shipment.
Haven't bought any yet :shrug:

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »

:$:
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2013, 11:08:37 PM »

:$:
Gonna blow my load come payday :mellow:

Offline jmu500

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2013, 07:59:40 AM »

The Intense Red is $15 in VT for a 375. I think the bottle of Golden Blend was $22ish in VT ($30 in MA) so I would expect Intense Red to be in the $20-25 range.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »

The Intense Red is $15 in VT for a 375. I think the bottle of Golden Blend was $22ish in VT ($30 in MA) so I would expect Intense Red to be in the $20-25 range.

$16.99 at Binny's for Intense Red, while Golden Blend is $26.99 or $27.99 there.
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2013, 01:59:47 PM »
Very, very cool!  :thumbup:
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2013, 10:28:46 AM »
 :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
On 14/09/2013, at the occasion of the Zwanze Day, the most of the bars participating will serve other Cantillon beers. Some will serve an "Iris Grand Cru". "Classic" Iris is a pure malt brew, matured for about 2 years in barrels. The beer gets a dry hopping with Saaz before beiing bottled and champagnized. This "Iris Grand Cru" was made in the same philosophy as for a "Lambic Grand Cru Bruocsella". We kept the beer for 3 years in barrels and we didn't made the dry hopping and champagnisation. The "Iris Grand Cru" is less bitter and more dry then the "Iris". The beer is still, very fine, with malted notes and a nice lingering finish. The "Iris Grand Cru" will be served in some of the locations at the occasion of the Zwanze Day, but it is not the Zwanze 2013.

- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2013, 10:32:46 AM »
How is it? :coffee:

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »

:shrug: , but I intend to find out.  I love Iris, and I love Bruocsella.  One of the best lambics I've ever had was a Bruocsella bottled in 1996, so hopefully this is awesome.  I'm pretty sure Crooked Stave is one of the bars locations serving it.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »

:shrug: , but I intend to find out.  I love Iris, and I love Bruocsella.  One of the best lambics I've ever had was a Bruocsella bottled in 1996, so hopefully this is awesome.  I'm pretty sure Crooked Stave is one of the bars locations serving it.

I really hope the bottle artwork is cartoon unicorns.  Then it will be perfectly perfect. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »

Hope to try it at Zwanze too :thumbup:

I really hope the bottle artwork is cartoon unicorns.  Then it will be perfectly perfect.
Because it's as rare as one?
I think PW has already cornered the market on unicorn beer labels :coffee:

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »

:unicorn:
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »
Another stupid ebay auction... $27 for 6 corks? :lol: "Belgium Sour Brewery" :rolleyes:
Didn't the seller win "beer drinker of the year" a few years ago? :facepalm:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2013, 03:30:06 PM »

Timmermans Oude Kriek is surprisingly titties*. That is all :thumbup:

*titties = ass-puckering sour

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2013, 05:18:43 PM »
Another stupid ebay auction... $27 for 6 corks? :lol: "Belgium Sour Brewery" :rolleyes:

Buy old corks of ebay
Bottle fruity beer
vinegar
green glass bottles
Print Cantillon labels of the internet

profit

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »

Buy old corks of ebay
Bottle fruity beer
vinegar
green glass bottles

profit
vinegar? :no:
food grade citric & lactic acid :yes: :evil:

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »

Buy old corks of ebay
Bottle fruity beer
vinegar
green glass bottles

profit
vinegar? :no:
food grade citric & lactic acid :yes: :evil:

Unfortunately it's been done.  :(
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »
 :rant: :rant:

Just got word that Chad opted for a bigger keg of St. Gilloise over a smaller keg of Iris Grand Cru for this weekend.  :kickrock:
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »
Hope we get some Iris GC... debating on going later in the day after the initial goon rush.

Anyway, here's a cool set of photos from a Belgian beer cellar. Cafe Rose Red in Bruges.

O HAI :wub:

From their blog, it sounds like they are the only place in Bruges with Cantillon Gueuze on tap right now...

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »
Zwanze was okay. <_< Iris Grand Cru was good but not worth spending 7 hours to taste 2 oz. 

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2013, 09:30:28 AM »
Zwanze was okay. <_< Iris Grand Cru was good but not worth spending 7 hours to taste 2 oz. 

:thumbup: Makes me feel better about not being able to head to Norfolk on Saturday.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
Here is some Ukranian Lambic.  ok it is Kvass with beets but this shit protects you from radiation.   :o

http://store.honoredprairie.com/Beet-Kvass--16oz_p_388.html

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
Here is some Ukranian Lambic.  ok it is Kvass with beets but this shit protects you from radiation.   :o

^ I've tried this and it's disgusting :puke:

/lousing up the Lambic thread >_>

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »

Yeah I was about to start a "I bet emerge would drink it" thread, but decided against it.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »

Yeah I was about to start a "I bet emerge would drink it" thread, but decided against it.
:lol: you were right :unsure:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »
Just a heads up on this, i've got high hopes...

Lambickx Kriek, Bzart, De Cam Oude Lambiek in the states

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »
 :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »
rich aroma of nut meats