Beer Discussion > Beer Talk

Ye Olde ***Official*** Lambic thread

(1/210) > >>

emerge:
So there are some assorted old threads that are lambic-related, but figured we could share any cool lambic stuff here...

Recently i've been doing some casual research about closed breweries that produced lambic/gueuze in the 20th century.
Once there were hundreds (maybe more), now there are only a dozen or so.

Question: What happened to all the other lambic breweries that have closed over the last 100+ years?

Answer: WWI & WWII killed many breweries, some were occupied or their equipment broken down and sold for scrap metal. Many didn't survive after WWII. Further, in the mid 20th century, larger interests began consolidating breweries, and eventually closing them. Finally, the popular preference for sweeter drinks (cola, juices, etc.) contributed to a shift in the market towards sweetening lambic, further obscuring their traditional roots.

--- Quote ---"By 1900, some 3000 lambic breweries dotted the tiny production area, not much larger than Brussels itself." :o
--- End quote ---

Here's a current list of closed lambic breweries (over 100). (PM me for list)

This has always been a favorite photo of mine:

Something interesting I just came across, one of the lambics blended by Tilquin is Boon Meerts (lower abv 2nd runnings) in addition to Cantillon wort.

The last gueuzes I drank were Tilquin and Oud Beersel (Not bad, not super complex either. similar to Boon & Cuvee Rene).
Golden Blend was ok, but honestly it didn't seem so different from the standard Oude Gueuze. More has shown up here recently, wondering if there's still some inventory due to the pricetag.

Yay lambic :hack:

BryanC:
:blackdot:

Haven't had one in a while, been thinking about the 3F in the basement lately though.

emerge:

--- Quote from: BryanC on March 26, 2013, 03:57:37 PM ---:blackdot:

Haven't had one in a while, been thinking about the 3F in the basement lately though.

--- End quote ---
:thumbup: got a few things to open once the weather finally warms up.

howardf:
I had a Cuvee Rene after a Tilquin a while back.  I always though Cuvee Rene was alright, but it was dull and lifeless after a great Gueuze like Tilquin.

emerge:

--- Quote from: howardf on March 26, 2013, 03:59:10 PM ---I had a Cuvee Rene after a Tilquin a while back.  I always though Cuvee Rene was alright, but it was dull and lifeless after a great Gueuze like Tilquin.

--- End quote ---

I think the Oud Beersel was first the other day, wanted to revisit and see if I still liked it. Definitely got blown away by the Tilquin though... what was really surprising was in the blind tasting, the Cantillon came in 3rd. It seemed a little one-dimensional somehow (young?) which was kind of :kickrock:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version