search

Author Topic: ISO: fresh cantillon dregs  (Read 1024 times)

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
ISO: fresh cantillon dregs
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
I have a few gallons of lambic bubbling away and I would like to add some Cantillon critters in there in about 2-3 weeks.  I can send you sterile vials, and some local beer if you could fill the vials and send them back?

I will gladly take full bottles of Cantillon if you prefer. 
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
Re: ISO: fresh cantillon dregs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
Deco's probably your best bet, he cracks one a week it seems.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »

Thanks.  I send a beermail.  I may have to find his secret source since he lives in Chicago?    :scared:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »

Thanks.  I send a beermail.  I may have to find his secret source since he lives in Chicago?    :scared:

He orders from overseas.

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »
Deco is MIA lately, but he's all over the facebook groups.  If he doesn't respond let me know, I can help out but probably not until mid-late April.
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »
Cool.  That timeline would work fine.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
How "fresh" and from which bottle? Or do they all have the same essential bugs?
Basically, is the yeast still alive after so many years?

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »

I'm not looking for the primary yeast, just all the secondary critters that create all the character.  So from 2012 would be ideal but 2011 should be ok.  I don't think Cantillon pasteurizes any of their beers and I believe they all go into the coolship as a base lambic before being put on fruit or blended.  So straight or gueuze would be prefered over fruited but both should be fine.  And while we are at it I would prefer if the drinker would not put there lips on the bottle while drinking the beer.

That sounds kind of picky but that is just a preference list not any requirements. 

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »

I'm not looking for the primary yeast, just all the secondary critters that create all the character.  So from 2012 would be ideal but 2011 should be ok.  I don't think Cantillon pasteurizes any of their beers and I believe they all go into the coolship as a base lambic before being put on fruit or blended.  So straight or gueuze would be prefered over fruited but both should be fine.  And while we are at it I would prefer if the drinker would not put there lips on the bottle while drinking the beer.

That sounds kind of picky but that is just a preference list not any requirements.

It's really difficult to not want to fellate the bottle while drinking it.  Anything left over in the bottom of the bottle from any year would be fine.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 03:47:35 PM »
I was reading about some domestic Lambic homebrewers that reuse barrels, so they're getting the bugs that way, and only pitch a bottle of a previous batch in place of yeast.  I wouldn't be picky about Cantillon only though, and would throw some 3F, Hanssens, Tilquin, etc. in there.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »
I was reading about some domestic Lambic homebrewers that reuse barrels, so they're getting the bugs that way, and only pitch a bottle of a previous batch in place of yeast.  I wouldn't be picky about Cantillon only though, and would throw some 3F, Hanssens, Tilquin, etc. in there.

I have two 5 gallon buckets with Wyeast 3278 and I have some drie fonteinen and Jolly Pumkin to put in one, but I have talked to several homebrewers that swear by Cantillon dregs.  I figure I would compare the two in a year and blend or fruit with new batches.   

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 03:53:22 PM »

I have two 5 gallon buckets with Wyeast 3278 and I have some drie fonteinen and Jolly Pumkin to put in one, but I have talked to several homebrewers that swear by Cantillon dregs.  I figure I would compare the two in a year and blend or fruit with new batches.   

The negative I've read about buckets is that they get overly acidic, but I don't have any experience to back that up.  My three 5 gallon batches all have different dregs in them, and I plan on blending them in the barrel once I stop being lazy and finish getting the rye out of it.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »
Nice.  What is your timeline for?   The woman on HBT that keeps winning with her lambics says plastic for the first month then glass for a year gets the best results.  I think I will probably put oak plugs in the glass carboys so I will get a wee bit of O2 in the year aging but not as much as plastic (and not nearly as much as when I transfer from the two).

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 04:21:25 PM »
Nice.  What is your timeline for?   The woman on HBT that keeps winning with her lambics says plastic for the first month then glass for a year gets the best results.  I think I will probably put oak plugs in the glass carboys so I will get a wee bit of O2 in the year aging but not as much as plastic (and not nearly as much as when I transfer from the two).

They're only a couple months old, so probably another two years before I'm drinking them.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »

From 2011 (i think, might be '12) i've only got a FF...
Want to drink a Fou Foune? :drool:

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »

yes :beggingpuppy emoticon:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »

Lets hammer down the details then :cheers:

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 05:21:45 PM »

They're only a couple months old, so probably another two years before I'm drinking them.

HowieFest 2015?  :excited:
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »

HowieFest 2015?  :excited:

Some day.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 07:05:07 PM »

cool.  I'll bring the soft candle light & kenny G record.  you bring the fruit beer and we got a tbs fest for 2.
beer mail in a bit

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »

cool are you going to gueuze or fruit any?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »

I'll have 15 gallons, so thinking about getting another 15 gallons going a year from now, then maybe holding 3 gallons per batch for Gueuze, fruiting some, and drinking some straight.  I'd like to get enough going to have a steady supply, since I can't exactly buy Lambic around here any more.  Even Oud Beersel's starting to become scarce.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 10:42:54 PM »

cool.  I'll bring the soft candle light & kenny G record.  you bring the fruit beer and we got a tbs fest for 2.
beer mail in a bit
Cantillon cornhole :hifive:

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »

I'll have 15 gallons, so thinking about getting another 15 gallons going a year from now, then maybe holding 3 gallons per batch for Gueuze, fruiting some, and drinking some straight.  I'd like to get enough going to have a steady supply, since I can't exactly buy Lambic around here any more.  Even Oud Beersel's starting to become scarce.

Yeah that is kind of the direction I was heading.  I thought it would be nice to get a solera in a big barrel that I could just pull from each year but I think it is to much of a gamble to have 55 gal invested in one barrel. 

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »

Yeah that is kind of the direction I was heading.  I thought it would be nice to get a solera in a big barrel that I could just pull from each year but I think it is to much of a gamble to have 55 gal invested in one barrel.

The more I looked into Solera, the less I liked it.  It sounds good on paper to just have one barrel to drain and refill every year, but some people start to have problems with them after 5-6 years, bad enough that they have to clean the barrels and start over.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »

beer mail in a bit
Cantillon cornhole :hifive:
Great success! Broke out the lambic basket for the first time this year, ate my weight in cured meats, and finally closed out the night with some Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Glenmorangie Ealanta. :deadbanana:

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 11:21:59 PM »
This thread makes me sad.  >:(

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:36 AM »

That's more of an angry face though. :mellow:
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 12:59:16 PM »

Accidentally clicked the wrong one. :shurg:

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »

Accidentally clicked the wrong one. :shurg:

It happens! :chears:

Offline decoman