search

Author Topic: ***Official San Diego Thread***  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
***Official San Diego Thread***
« on: March 14, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »
Enough of the random visit threads... 

I'm thinking about doing a weekend visit for my 30th on 3/30.  Need to make an Alpine visit but looking for other suggestions.  Went to BP, Alesmith, Stone and Blind Lady last time.  Is there any Onid of deal that will haul my drunk ass around to different places? 

:cheers:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline ender

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Location: Kicking your asses at SFV and have a summer home in pandora
  • Putting in the hardest work of all, caring...
Re: ***Official San Diego Thread***
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 12:54:16 AM »
Enough of the random visit threads... 

I'm thinking about doing a weekend visit for my 30th on 3/30.  Need to make an Alpine visit but looking for other suggestions.  Went to BP, Alesmith, Stone and Blind Lady last time.  Is there any Onid of deal that will haul my drunk ass around to different places? 

:cheers:

Societe needs to be on your list.
http://www.facebook.com/societebrewing

joey's store, hamiltons...

recommended burlesque troupe... http://hellonheelsburlesque.com/

hash house a gogo never lets me down for breakfast.

there's a shitload of new breweries... http://www.sandiegobrewersguild.org/breweries/ geoi can shed light on some... most i haven't heard of...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:03:38 AM by ender »
rhyder74 on ps4.

Offline KingG

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 02:54:52 AM »
All depends on:

Where you're staying
How long you're staying
If you have a car
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:14:20 AM »
I'll be in town June 5-12.  Not sure what days I'll be available for beers yet.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:23:34 AM »
All depends on:

Where you're staying
How long you're staying
If you have a car

Its all up in the air.  I'd have a car but would prefer not to be driving (at least after the first couple places). Is there a good area to stay that's within walking distance of a few places?

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »
the burlesque troupe is awesome.   :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline KingG

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
All depends on:

Where you're staying
How long you're staying
If you have a car

Its all up in the air.  I'd have a car but would prefer not to be driving (at least after the first couple places). Is there a good area to stay that's within walking distance of a few places?
San Diego is a huge county, you'd almost have to have a car if you want to see more than a few breweries/pubs.

However, If you prefer not to drive I'd say skip the breweries since they're generally spread apart (there are exceptions).

You could stay at the Lafayette ( http://www.lafayettehotelsd.com/) in North Park and basically walk/cab it to all the great beer bars.

Also, it's super central San Diego so you'd still be relatively close to some breweries.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:32:23 PM by KingG »
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Pols

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • haters get the gas face
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 02:18:21 PM »
:blackdot:

Offline ender

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Location: Kicking your asses at SFV and have a summer home in pandora
  • Putting in the hardest work of all, caring...
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:44:20 PM »
the burlesque troupe is awesome.   :thumbup: :thumbup:

i've seen them twice... good stuff.
rhyder74 on ps4.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 04:20:01 AM »
Just saw this....

Where did you end up staying? Just for the weekend?

Future travelers, stay at least one night at the OB hotel. Walk to Pizza Port, Newport Pizza, Olive Tree, Raglan, Noodle House. No cabs needed. Right off the 8.
Home is where the Nelson is.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »
Not gonna make it.  Doing it solo could have got ugly.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »

Staying here.  Pretty sure we'll have at least one rental car and my BIL has his Jeep there.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 03:19:26 AM »

Staying here.  Pretty sure we'll have at least one rental car and my BIL has his Jeep there.

:o:

Place looks awesome. And as I mentioned, I love OB. Let me know if you want any tips on local spots or suggestions.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 10:05:35 AM »

Place looks awesome. And as I mentioned, I love OB. Let me know if you want any tips on local spots or suggestions.

Any place close to there that is good to hang out at wouldn't hurt.  Decent food and a good tap selection would be ideal.  My MIL is a DIPA fanatic, so I'll have to find her some good ones on tap around town.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »

:moneybag:

also, lofl at Dusty Rhodes Park
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 04:01:26 AM »

Any place close to there that is good to hang out at wouldn't hurt.  Decent food and a good tap selection would be ideal.  My MIL is a DIPA fanatic, so I'll have to find her some good ones on tap around town.

Lots of great food and taps in OB. I think that Pizza Port is just shy of 50 taps. Their new head brewer (old Carlsbad head brewer) is focussing on IPAs right now. I hope that continues. Always a great tap list. I'm in there 2-3 times a week.

Corner of Niagra and Bacon are a couple god food spots. Pomas has the best Meatball sub I've ever had. Awesome Turkey and Roast Beef subs as well. More of a takeout place then dine-in. Catty corner from there is Raglan Public House. They specialize in burgers. Organic grass food New Zealand, blah blah blah. Good stuff. I actually always get their Grilled Chicken Sandwich "Dirty Jerz" though. One of my favorite sandwiches in town. Half off whole menu on Sundays after 8. All craft beers on tap. Drank a Sucaba there last time I was there.

Bottom of Newport Ave (main drag) are two cool spots. Newport Pizza and Alehouse. Smallish tap list that can be hit and miss, but when it's a hit it can be awesome. You get a little more of the hippy street kids hanging out here though so some people don't like the place. That means the good stuff stays on tap longer. They had '08 Angel's Share on tap for over a week. Their Younger keg lasted all night on a Friday. Awesome bottle selection too. NY style pizza. Across the street from there is South Beach. Very famous in San Diego for their fish tacos. I take all my seafood friends there when they visit and they all love it. I don't eat seafood so can;t give the personal approval. They have an awesome late night happy hour. All tacos and taps are $3. Not a great tap list, but they always have Sculpin and a couple other IPAs on. Sometimes have special release Ballast Point stuff.

Up Newport a couple blocks you have my favorite soccer bar, The Harp. They were one of Alpine's first accounts so they tend to have an Alpine tap. It has been less and less frequent though. A couple years ago they always had two Alpine taps going. Now they sometimes have one. Decent bar/Irish food. Live music most nights. A couple doors down is my favorite Italian restaurant, Ciao Bella. Best Gnocchi I have ever had, and I've had them everywhere that I've them on the menu. Made in house. Melt in your mouth. Great pizza, pasta, and risotto dishes as well. No quality beer though.

The Joint on Newport and Bacon also has a decent tap list. I have some friends that love the place. Eclectic menu focussed on sushi.

Wednesdays are the busiest nights in OB. One block of Newport gets closed off for the Farmer's Market. It has evolved more into a fair of sorts. Lots of street food and some live music. Sometimes Lama rides. Great OB people watching.

On the North side of town OB Noodle House has 50 taps. Some are uninspired, but most are quality. They have the best Happy Hour in town. Half off all drafts until 6. Place gets REAL crowded though. Go right around 4 to beat the rush. Great Pho, Fried Rice, and Short Ribs. Real nice sake selection as well.

You also have one of the best bottle shops in San Diego a few blocks from you, Olive Tree Market. Thursday-Saturday from 4-10 they have a cool little tasting room. 3 beer flights and 2 wine flights (a red and a white). Different menu every week. Real cheap (flights from $4-6. 4oz pours?). A receipt from the tasting room gets you 10% off the bottle shop. They also have great deli with Boars Head meats, nice steaks, marinated kabobs, and fine cheeses.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 06:15:00 AM »
Awesome info.  Thanks!

Offline BeerHatesRob

• Malt Liquor
  • Beer Hates Me but I Love Beer. Oh, the sweet irony
    • Beer Hates Me
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »

This is so awesome. I'm in the middle of planning a bachelor party to San Diego for September. We have about 10 guys all homebrewers and/or super beer nerds. We wanted to stay in OB as it has nostalgic and practical purposes for the occasion.

I've been having SO MUCH trouble finding a house to book until I came here of all places. I'm contacting that location for our dates right now.

Beer...the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems!!!

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »

This is so awesome. I'm in the middle of planning a bachelor party to San Diego for September. We have about 10 guys all homebrewers and/or super beer nerds. We wanted to stay in OB as it has nostalgic and practical purposes for the occasion.

I've been having SO MUCH trouble finding a house to book until I came here of all places. I'm contacting that location for our dates right now.

:thumbup:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 07:05:06 AM »
Just over a month away.  Can't wait.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
So ready for a week in San Diego. Here I come IPAs.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 02:19:47 AM »
So ready for a week in San Diego. Here I come IPAs.

I got back in town today and went straight from the airport to Toronado Really is no other place on the planet that can compete with that tap list. Then dropped some stuff off, unwounded, and  hit my local OB Pizza Port. Awesome tap list right now as usual. Something for everybody. If you like hops, get a Surf Check Alley.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »

The place is pretty awesome. Only thing they need to do is upgrade the tvs, which really doesn't matter when on vacation. Great view and location. Super nice place.

Offline BeerHatesRob

• Malt Liquor
  • Beer Hates Me but I Love Beer. Oh, the sweet irony
    • Beer Hates Me
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 06:25:50 PM »

The place is pretty awesome. Only thing they need to do is upgrade the tvs, which really doesn't matter when on vacation. Great view and location. Super nice place.

Unfortunately, at the very first mention of booking a house for a bachelor's weekend, the homeowner of that property denied our request. Alls well though...we'll be staying here instead: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/346633 the 2nd wknd in September. This thread has been a big help in planning where to hit up locally.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 02:26:32 AM »
Would love to hear your OB updates, TT. I'm working 10hr shifts the next few days then heading up to Seattle on Monday for the World Cup game, but if you were out and about in OB I'd meet up for a pint after work.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »
I've had no time for beer stuff. Hit up Olive Tree for some bottles. Some others took out pizza and growlers. Hoping to go somewhere for lunch. We'll see. It's more of a family vacation so I have to try to fit it in where I can. If I can make it out I'll let you know.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 11:11:39 AM »
I've had no time for beer stuff. Hit up Olive Tree for some bottles. Some others took out pizza and growlers. Hoping to go somewhere for lunch. We'll see. It's more of a family vacation so I have to try to fit it in where I can. If I can make it out I'll let you know.

Ended up with a few hours one day, which I used to hit up Bine & Vine (thanks Geoi), Toronado, and Societe.  I really like Societe's hoppy stuff.  Did the Stone tour/dinner with the whole group on Monday.  It's, well, Stone.  Did like the Lavender Pale Ale though.  Only ordered one pint of Stone beer while there, the rest was other breweries on tap I hadn't tried. 

Really wish I had more time, but since the kids were waking up at Midwest time, there was no way I was going out late at night.  The only night I stayed up late at all was the night J-Rod came by and we drank on the deck.

Came home with a few bottles and a growler of Societe.  Bags checked at 49.5 and 49 pounds, so there wasn't more room for more to take back.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 03:38:37 AM »

Ended up with a few hours one day, which I used to hit up Bine & Vine (thanks Geoi), Toronado, and Societe.  I really like Societe's hoppy stuff.  Did the Stone tour/dinner with the whole group on Monday.  It's, well, Stone.  Did like the Lavender Pale Ale though.  Only ordered one pint of Stone beer while there, the rest was other breweries on tap I hadn't tried. 

Really wish I had more time, but since the kids were waking up at Midwest time, there was no way I was going out late at night.  The only night I stayed up late at all was the night J-Rod came by and we drank on the deck.

Came home with a few bottles and a growler of Societe.  Bags checked at 49.5 and 49 pounds, so there wasn't more room for more to take back.

Please don't tel me you were blocks away from Pizza Port OB and didn't pop in for a pint. 

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 11:01:26 AM »

Please don't tel me you were blocks away from Pizza Port OB and didn't pop in for a pint.

There were a few growlers brought back, but I never had the chance to go. :shrug:

Offline t0rin0

• Pale Ale
  • Goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeee Little Baby.
    • Beers sampled
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »
Anyone going to be around next weekend? Have a birthday party to hit up in LA earlier in the day but I think we're going to head to SD that evening, book a room, and hit up a bunch of the new breweries. Then of course the next day is Sour Fest. Oh and at some point I need to get my AleSmith bottles.
Respect the badge
He earned it with his blood
Fear the gun
Your sentence may be death because...