search

Author Topic: Charleston, SC  (Read 2598 times)

Offline everetends

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
Charleston, SC
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »
I'm going to be in Charleston for a wedding at the end of February.  I will have part of Friday and Sunday to do some beery shenanigans.  I plan to hit up Charleston Beer Exchange but that's really all I know about the area beer-wise.  Any suggestions on beer bars, good restaurants, respectable rub and tug massage parlors, etc?  Also, is drinking legal there on Sundays or do I need to plan all of my drankin' for Friday and Saturday? 

Thanks in advance.   :cheers:
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Charleston, SC
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:13:20 PM »
Westbrook tap room sounds awesome, though they have limited hours. Ask for a happy ending and see what you get :unsure:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:18:03 PM »
Westbrook tap room sounds awesome, though they have limited hours. Ask for a happy ending and see what you get :unsure:
Shit, I totally forgot about Westbrook.  Definitely on the list now.   :thumbup:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:11:44 AM »
Holy City is also quite good.  They have the same limited taproom hours as Westbrook though, so you may have to do one each day.  Don't forget Coast brewing either, the couple who own it are two of the nicest people in all of beerdom, and David the brewer has a beard that makes Brac's look like peach fuzz...

As for bars, I've been to Closed for Business and Sesame Burgers & Beer, both were pretty decent, haven't made it to EVO yet.

There is also a new place called Craftsman that may be open by then, here is an article:
http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/Eat/archives/2013/01/23/the-craftsmen-almost-ready-to-wow-beer-geeks

I'll actually be there the weekend of February 23rd for Brewvival, is that the weekend you will be there?  If so, there should be some fun stuff happening, big tasting Friday night where we stay.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:29:49 AM »
Holy City is also quite good.  They have the same limited taproom hours as Westbrook though, so you may have to do one each day.  Don't forget Coast brewing either, the couple who own it are two of the nicest people in all of beerdom, and David the brewer has a beard that makes Brac's look like peach fuzz...

As for bars, I've been to Closed for Business and Sesame Burgers & Beer, both were pretty decent, haven't made it to EVO yet.

There is also a new place called Craftsman that may be open by then, here is an article:
http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/Eat/archives/2013/01/23/the-craftsmen-almost-ready-to-wow-beer-geeks

I'll actually be there the weekend of February 23rd for Brewvival, is that the weekend you will be there?  If so, there should be some fun stuff happening, big tasting Friday night where we stay.

That is the weekend I will be there.  Happy you will be around but I was really hoping for a low key beer crawl.  Apparently I will have to deal with mass amounts of beer geekery/craziness instead.  At least there should be some fun beers pouring around the city. 

I will do some research on the spots you mentioned and Craftsman sounds pretty awesome. 

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:57:15 AM »
Well given that the festival is afternoon Saturday, you will have that entire afternoon with the bars to yourself, but the breweries / brewpubs are likely to be closed with their people all at Brewvival.  That leaves you Friday for a brewery visit, Coast isn't open Friday, Westbrook and Holy City have the same hours, 4PM to 7 PM.  I'm probably going to try to hit Holy City myself, they are really cool people.  They were at Brewgrass, Dan and Rick of S2A met up with them, and they sort of kidded around about collaborating to have a Heaven & Hell like beer.

SC law only allows four 4 oz samples with a tour at a brewery, so it is conceivable you could hit both places.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:13:36 AM »
Well given that the festival is afternoon Saturday, you will have that entire afternoon with the bars to yourself, but the breweries / brewpubs are likely to be closed with their people all at Brewvival.  That leaves you Friday for a brewery visit, Coast isn't open Friday, Westbrook and Holy City have the same hours, 4PM to 7 PM.  I'm probably going to try to hit Holy City myself, they are really cool people.  They were at Brewgrass, Dan and Rick of S2A met up with them, and they sort of kidded around about collaborating to have a Heaven & Hell like beer.

SC law only allows four 4 oz samples with a tour at a brewery, so it is conceivable you could hit both places.

I will be at the wedding during the Brewvival hours, so no chance at having the bars to myself.  We will try to get in there early on Friday so we can hit a brewery I suppose.  If not, I guess I will have to call the breweries to see if they will hold hours on Saturday.  This shit might really fuck up any chance of beery good times for us on this trip.  I will make sure to tell the bride she picked the wrong fucking weekend.   ;)  I am just going to have to pay attention now to what events are where and gauge it from there. 

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 01:44:13 AM »

I will be at the wedding during the Brewvival hours, so no chance at having the bars to myself.  We will try to get in there early on Friday so we can hit a brewery I suppose.  If not, I guess I will have to call the breweries to see if they will hold hours on Saturday.  This shit might really fuck up any chance of beery good times for us on this trip.  I will make sure to tell the bride she picked the wrong fucking weekend.   ;)  I am just going to have to pay attention now to what events are where and gauge it from there.

The same thing happened to me on my visit to Charleston last year. It was during brewvival but we had a big mixed group and only a few were interested in beer. CBX was closed during the only time we could go on Saturday because they were at the fest.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:45:24 AM »
Also, we went to Husk and it was ok. Hominy Grill was worth the wait for brunch.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 02:38:33 AM »
Also, we went to Husk and it was ok. Hominy Grill was worth the wait for brunch.
Tara was interested in Hominy Grill.  I think she saw it on Food Network or something.

Thanks for confirming some worries about a Brewvival weekend.  I guess any beer plans really depend on when we arrive on Friday and when we leave on Sunday.  I have to double check and see what time the wedding is on Saturday.  Really hoping for an evening wedding.  :fingerscrossed:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
Looks like Jim covered most everything here  :thumbup:

The only place I have been that is not mentioned is Coleman Public House in Mount Pleasant.  The have higher end food than you normally expect from a place that has such a good tap list.

http://www.colemanpublichouse.com/index.html

I feel sorry for you being there that weekend without being there for Brewvival.  It is really a pretty good beer city. 

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 01:35:45 PM »
Looks like Jim covered most everything here  :thumbup:

The only place I have been that is not mentioned is Coleman Public House in Mount Pleasant.  The have higher end food than you normally expect from a place that has such a good tap list.

http://www.colemanpublichouse.com/index.html

I feel sorry for you being there that weekend without being there for Brewvival.  It is really a pretty good beer city.
Yeah, I am pretty bummed out that the wedding fell on Brewvival weekend.  We will figure something out hopefully and salvage some good times. 

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 12:54:36 AM »
Just got back and most everything was screwed up beerwise due to Brewvival as expected.  Friday night we were able to sneak away from the wedding duties to Closed for Business for the Brewvival preparty.  After glasses of Sexual Chocolate, we were challenged by  two guys at a table of pharmacy doctoral students to a Das Boot! challenge.  We figured why the hell not.  Apparently it is a communal chug challenge and the guy to the right of the person who finishes the boot has to pay for it.  Why they challenged Tara and three large, bearded men to this I still do not understand.  I think they realized they fucked up at two points:

1.  When I said "Well 2.5 liters isn't a whole lot for six people.  Why don't we do two boots and start each one on opposite sides of the table"  Me:   :shrug:   Them:  :unsure: :blink: :unsure:

2.  Once the boot traveled through two of us one of their friends said with a tremble of fear in his voice "Damn that boot is going fast"   :o

So, we won.  They paid and the loser's wife forced him to leave because he ended up spending "all their money".   :lol:  We hung out with the remaining members of their group for the rest of the night.  Although awkward, it was good times.

Saturday was wedding all day.  We went out afterwards and set up at a bar called Proof.  We chose it because it had both a good spirits/cocktails list and solid bottled beer list.  Big mistake.  This bar was incredibly pretentious and everyone from the head bartender to the doorman had an attitude from the moment we got there.  I guess spending a shitload of money there (my guess is somewhere from $600 to $800) between the 20+ of us wasn't enough, and they were looking for reasons to make us leave.  We stuck it out, but it finally reached a breaking point once the bartender got in the face of one of the guys in our group who had to ask 8 times for his check because the bartender was just blatantly ignoring him for an hour.  Then the bartender had words with a few ladies in our group and then he proceeded to cuss them out and pushed one.  This led to he and I having words (maybe more  ;) ) and we decided to relocate before the cops showed up.  Naturally we went to the gay bar to close out the evening.   :pickle:  My advice, never spend any money at Proof if you end up in Charleston.  :thumbdown:  Food Note:  We went to Pearlz Oyster Bar for lunch.  Highlights included an awesome list of oyster varieties, shrimp cocktail bloody mary, and pork belly with shrimp and jalapeno grits.  Highly recommend.  :thumbup:

Sunday was brunch and head out.  We did hit Charleston Beer Exchange on the way out of town.  Nice shop but much smaller than expected.  Prices were quite a bit higher on a lot of things, but I guess that is expected considering the rent they must pay for their location.  Decent selection but the Brewvival beer crowd had pretty much cleared them out of anything interesting by then.  I was able to grab Westbrook's Apple Brandy Barrel Aged Tripel and 100% Brett Lichtenhainer which was nice because those were the two beers I was after.   :thumbup:  Overall, super nice beer store.  Food note: We went to Blossom for brunch and dropped a bill on the meal but it was totally worth it.  Highlights included fresh pumpkin and strawberry bread, shellfish based bloody mary, mango habanero mojito, duck confit skillet scrambler and thick cut brioche French toast.  Everything was stellar and it couldn't have been a better meal.   :thumbup:

That's about it.  It appeared to be a pretty cool town and I look forward to visiting the breweries next time. 

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »
I have heard people mention Proof before, but I had never gone.  I am glad to know I don't have to bother when we make it back to Charleston.

CBX does have high prices compared to here (unless you compare them to Hop City  :poke: ).  I think their taxes on alcohol are worse than everywhere but Alaska.  Their prices are still lower than most placed in NC who have much lower taxes from what I understand.  Good people own that place.  I really need to get back to Charleston.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »
I'll pass that along to my gb in Charleston... good to know :thumbup:

I really need to get back to Charleston.

I really need to get out to Charleston, period. :bag:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »
I have heard people mention Proof before, but I had never gone.  I am glad to know I don't have to bother when we make it back to Charleston.

CBX does have high prices compared to here (unless you compare them to Hop City  :poke: ).  I think their taxes on alcohol are worse than everywhere but Alaska.  Their prices are still lower than most placed in NC who have much lower taxes from what I understand.  Good people own that place.  I really need to get back to Charleston.

It was a shame about Proof.  Cool little spot and the house mixed drinks were on the most part really good with just a handful of turds.  The beer list was full of solid drinkers, one for most every standard style.  Nothing exotic but everything on that list was something I'd be happy to drink on while with friends who may be more interested in liquor than beer.  Between the drinks menu and the ambiance (music, bar layout, etc) it seemed like a great place.  It was just a shame the staff had to ruin it.   There was a female bartender who we felt bad for because when her co-worker decided he wasn't serving us anymore for whatever reason was in his head, she was forced to pick up his slack and take care of us almost exclusively.  She also apologized non-stop for her coworkers whenever they got out of line so it was apparent she ran damage control on a regular basis.  She was awesome, the dudes were total douchebags. 

As for CBX, the prices weren't insane but they were noticeably higher.  I assumed it was due to their location or taxes, and from what you said it was probably both.  It just sucked for Tara because the stuff she wanted was stuff we could get in AL or GA, and we had to pass because the prices were quite a bit higher than stores around here (including Hop City  ;) ).  The guy at the growler station was kind of going through a bit of a beer snobbery moment with a customer over Brett and soured beers.  It was a bit off-putting, but understandable if the long weekend with the fest and all was getting to him.   The guy running the register was incredibly polite and he even apologized to me for the fest screwing up his store hours and all of the brewery hours around town since we were there as beer lovers but for another event.  Incredibly nice dude and totally wasn't expecting that.   Definitely a great spot and I love the boutique like feel of the shop.   :thumbup:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
One at the register short bald guy possibly with a Rolly Fingers stache?  Was the other one a tall bigger guy with full beard?

EDIT: Left (too bad he did not have the stache then) and right respectively?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:41:21 PM by GatorBeerGeek »

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
One at the register short bald guy possibly with a Rolly Fingers stache?  Was the other one a tall bigger guy with full beard?

Believe it was the guy on the right.  Definitely not a dude with a crazy stache.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
Both those guys are good people.  They have added a guy or two as employees in the last couple of years.  Both those guys are good people, but some of their new employees may not be as friendly as they are.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »
Both those guys are good people.  They have added a guy or two as employees in the last couple of years.  Both those guys are good people, but some of their new employees may not be as friendly as they are.

Not sure if the guy at the counter was either of those guys.  The guy that checked me out said some of "the guys" were still at the post-Brewvival brunch, so it is possible just employees were hanging out.  With that said, I cannot express how nice the cat was that waited on me.  Just super polite.

I am sure the growler guy was just having a bad day and decided to flex some beer snob muscle after a long weekend of dealing with nothing but overbearing beer nerds.  Just seemed like a bad time to do it when you are pissing off a guy (no clue who he was, but he wasn't being an ass) that is considering purchasing a 32oz growler that costs $20+.   Bite your tongue, make the sale, move on.   :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:20:14 PM by everetends »

Offline thehopdawg

• Malt Liquor
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
The real shame is that 52.5 Records in North Charleston closed.  How cool is it to have a store that sells craft beer, new & used vinyl, books, and vintage posters.

Guess I am in a small sub-market that loved this combo...
Owner/operator of Bear's Best Brewery & Beer Cellar

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »

Believe it was the guy on the right.  Definitely not a dude with a crazy stache.

Guy on the right is Furley.   :mellow:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »
The real shame is that 52.5 Records in North Charleston closed.  How cool is it to have a store that sells craft beer, new & used vinyl, books, and vintage posters.

i'd be in for this idea
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 03:42:58 PM »

i'd be in for this idea
+1 A place like this would do well in Chicago...

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »

i'd be in for this idea

:lightbulb:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »

i'd be in for this idea
speaking as a potential customer and not a future business owner ;)

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »

i'd be in for this idea

i was hoping to light a fire under your ass. you even look like the kinda guy who would own this place.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »

i'd be in for this idea

i was hoping to light a fire under your ass. you even look like the kinda guy who would own this place.

or

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 10:40:45 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 12:41:40 PM »
I'll pass that along to my gb in Charleston... good to know :thumbup:

I really need to get back to Charleston.

I really need to get out to Charleston, period. :bag:
It's finally happening :pickle:
Got a short list, but happy to hear some recommendations :thumbup:
Gonna be craft beer week there too...

Beer-related:
Edmund's Oast
Craft Conundrum
Closed for Business
House of Brews
CBX

Breweries:
Coast
Revelry
Freehouse
Westbrook

Foodstuff:
Lewis BBQ
Martha Lou's
Hominy Grill
Chico Feo
Poe's
Leon's
Roadside Seafood

Nature:
Folly Beach
Shem Creek
Patriots Point trail
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:58:50 PM by emerge »

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:49:58 PM by thewimperoo »
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
Husk

http://huskrestaurant.com/home/

+

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=513720#p513720
Thanks i'll check out the LTH thread :thumbup:
Husk has been booked solid for a month... might try to squeeze in at the bar when they open, but lots of other options if not.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2016, 09:39:10 AM »
If you are going to trek out to North Charleston for Coast (and you definitely should) you might want to consider going to Holy City too.  I have only had a couple of their beers and while not the best I ever had, they showed promise. 

Southend was bought by Lagunitas.  I have no idea if they have already put their stamp on the place, but they were supposedly going to have some exclusive stuff there.  Probably not as big of a draw since you have them in town too, but just in case you are walking around downtown I thought it was worth knowing about.

I still stand by Coleman Public House being a good stop if you are in the Mt Pleasant area.  I would go just for Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge on tap.  Admittedly it may not be around by the time you are.

http://www.colemanpublichouse.com/now-on-tap/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:42:36 AM by GatorBeerGeek »

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »
FWIW, I was disappointed in Husk when I went a few years ago. Maybe I just ordered the wrong things.  :shrug:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »
If you are going to trek out to North Charleston for Coast (and you definitely should) you might want to consider going to Holy City too.  I have only had a couple of their beers and while not the best I ever had, they showed promise. 

Southend was bought by Lagunitas.  I have no idea if they have already put their stamp on the place, but they were supposedly going to have some exclusive stuff there.  Probably not as big of a draw since you have them in town too, but just in case you are walking around downtown I thought it was worth knowing about.

I still stand by Coleman Public House being a good stop if you are in the Mt Pleasant area.  I would go just for Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge on tap.  Admittedly it may not be around by the time you are.

http://www.colemanpublichouse.com/now-on-tap/
Belated thanks for these recs, was too busy partying it up apparently. :suds:

We hit Coast, Holy City, and Freehouse all in the same day. Freehouse was the most chill spot. It was raining and about 150 people were jammed into Holy City. Bailed after a couple but had 4 kegs for the wedding :thumbup: Coast was a little disappointing, just their regular canned lineup on tap, 5 total.

Frothy Beard was a new one that was decent, Revelry had some good stuff too, including a fantastic wild ale from District 9 out of NC: Systema Naturae with scuppernong grapes and lily flowers. It had a really unique blend of flavors.

Food-wise, the best stuff I had was fried chicken & waffles at Rarebit, sweet potato fries at Roadside Seafood, crispy pig ears and shrimp and grits at Husk, charcuterie at Edmunds Oast, and fried green beans at Closed For Business. Apple bacon fritter at Glazed was awesome. EVO was decent and Dixie Supply was disappointing. Craftsmen and Edmunds Oast had the best beer selections.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:33:13 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2016, 11:31:47 AM »

That sounds like an awesome place. The Vinyl Countdown was a solid record shop, they had a small amount of movies and posters too.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »
Time for some food pr0n y'all. Best things I ate in Charleston:

Pigs ears at Husk :thumbup:

Fried green beans at Closed For Business

Fried chicken & waffles at The Rarebit

Apple bacon fritter at Glazed
:drool: :drool: :drool: :deadbanana:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:59:14 PM by emerge »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2016, 05:08:23 PM »
whoa that chicken looks great

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2016, 09:47:10 PM »
whoa that chicken looks great
:yes: boneless is key for the waffle combo.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2016, 10:18:43 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 12:01:37 AM »
Chuck's Nashville post inspired me, need to get back to Charleston this year. :blackdot: