search

Author Topic: Dutch beer sign museum  (Read 1219 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Dutch beer sign museum
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
Holy mother of god :o

I'd live here for the rest of my days, only in my wildest dreams ;D
(click fullscreen top right for the full experience)

Offline Mark

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
Re: Dutch beer sign museum
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:11:12 PM »
just stumbled into the beer garden :excited:
feels like playing virtual hide & seek or something, pretty cool :thumbup:

Offline NFLMVP

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »
Someone needs to refill the peanuts.  :mellow:
Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »
Just pieced this translation together from an article about the museum and it's owner... ;D  :tldr:

January 2012, Sunday.
Just another rainy day in an unpleasant winter, (but it's) not winter. What do you do on such a day? A cozy pub is a possibility, and if you have an affinity with culture, also a museum. In Breda, you can combine both: the pleasures of a cozy pub with a large selection of beers, amidst a lot of beer nostalgia, especially enamel advertising signs, which certainly have a museum value.

CAFÉ AND MUSEUM
The Bierreclame Museum in Breda is indeed a museum. It is even a member of the Museum Association. Yet it differs in several respects from other museums. For example, a museum that makes a profit. Subsidy is not provided, nor is it necessary. The museum opened its doors on December 4, 1990. Initially you had to buy a ticket at 2.50 GB, but soon created a fixed group of museum café visitors who came to drink a cozy pint. Therefore, the admission was abolished after a few weeks. From the beginning, the museum was also a cafe. That was to realize simple because when applying for a liquor license was already resting. On the property There used to be a cafeteria (with counter) established the famous cyclist Wim van Est.

LIMITS TO THE COLLECTION
Basically a museum is a place where collections are exhibited. In the Museum Bierreclame that particular collection is enamel signs.

Owner and museum director Jan Hemmer studied marketing and advertising. In addition, he was and is a lover of specialty beer. Add these two elements and manifest a genetic collecting instinct (inherited from father) and you have all the elements necessary advantages to building a fine collection of billboards with beer as a subject. Jan has clear ideas about what does and does not belong in his museum. He primarily collects Tin Signs from the period 1900-1960, sourced from Netherlands and neighboring countries.

Before 1900 beer had no real brand. It involved types (blonde, double barley, faro), combined with the name of the brewer. Only with the industrial revolution appeared brand names and trademarks. The oldest trademark in the beer world is probably the red triangle of Bass. Billboards, these brands carry out. Around 1960 change the advertising. The enamel plate disappears in favor of more modern and more volatile advertising techniques, which can be customized (radio, TV, cardboard signs, illuminated signs) faster.

In the museum are from old breweries see also objects as long as they are not too large: scrap mills, filling and cleaning machines for bottles, capsule recording devices etc. Moreover, there are left and right what jukeboxes and a pianola. A few old went missing either, complete with spittoon, zageman "little sawing man" (a Dutch folk object) and empty antique containers. And of course there are the requisite old bottles, glass and wooden trays.

ADVERTISING AND ART
When Jan began to collect in the late 70s of last century, the brewers put little value on the old Tin Signs. For them it was actually waste. Jan could freely choose from the stocks. Sometimes signs had to be removed. Literally out of the dunghill, somewhere on a terrace he found an antique advertising, where waste was collected. You had to be fast as a collector are alert, because old advertising material was massively destroyed. The brewery Cerckel in Diest example he was a day late: all the advertising glass was broken and beaten in a container.

Many well-known graphic designers have been dealing with beer advertising. In the museum you can find many examples of this. Famous names are Mertens, Leonetto Cappiello, Jan Wijga, Raymond van Doren and Eppo Doeve.

The attentive observer will also clearly distinguished style differences. The art deco plates are distinguished by their clean lines, including the fonts, sometimes over the top, sometimes stretched long. Jugendstijl signs know whimsical decorations, while the advertisements from the fifties mainly feature women center stage (and occasionally a gentleman).

The museum is located in Princenhage and is decorated in an ordinary house. This may not be ideal, but there were and are few other options. The buildings for the former Brewery Cow, a little further, would perhaps have been a better location for the museum. For a variety of reasons, which municipal politics and money have played an important role it is never to move come.  Near the station of Breda, there are still some remnants (including the brewhouse) of what was once the proud beer brewery was The Three Horseshoes (later Orange Tree), a few years ago bumped off by ABInBev. A beautiful location, which is simply too expensive. The museum will remain so for the time being in the same place. And maybe that's a good thing, because it is questionable whether it would be equally cozy after moving.

INFO
Jan Hemmer and Lenny Sinke
Bierreclame Museum Beers folk pub with beer garden
every Sunday from 11-23 hours Haagweg 375
4813 XC Breda www.bierreclamemuseum.nl
Hans Meijvis

Source: http://www.beyerdbiergildebreda.nl/ (Nuchter Bekeken, Jaargang 2012, Nummer 1 Februari)
Issue is attached here
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:27:40 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:05:03 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:39:11 AM »
Now that Instagram is a thing, there are some pretty fun pics here.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1259392/bierreclame-museum/

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »
Damn, the virtual tour is gone :( I sent feedback to google maps to see if it will be restored.

Still more good pics on google maps.

Offline Linnell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Malt Liquor
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 07:46:34 AM »
Well this seems like a gem alright. I'll keep this place in mind if I ever find myself in the area. I was actually in Belgium for a month last Summer, which isn't all that far from there.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 11:20:36 AM »
Well this seems like a gem alright. I'll keep this place in mind if I ever find myself in the area. I was actually in Belgium for a month last Summer, which isn't all that far from there.
Welcome to TBS! :cheers:

Breda is only 45 min. from Antwerp, and Westmalle is on the way. The museum is only open on Sundays, but it would make a fun destination.