search

Author Topic: First Cellaring  (Read 1023 times)

Offline WalrusMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
First Cellaring
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »
So Javit pulled me in from somwhere else and I had some questions on aging beer.  I'm looking for any and all opinions on what I should do with a couple situations...

First is just my first aging of a beer.  I'm looking at one of my favorites, SN Bigfoot Ale, because I know it will cellar well and I did just fall into a free almost full case of the stuff.  The locations I would have available to store it are..

-My fridge in a brown bag to limit light, probably stored sideways.
-My apartment closet in a brown bag to limit light, stored upright, with no guarantee on temperature to stay below 70 or even higher. (No AC in my apartment)
-My parents' crawlspace (we don't have basements in CA) in a brown bag to limit light.  This would probably stay a cool temperature most of the year, but who knows in a week of 90+ temperatures.

What would you guys choose for this?

Second item would be how to store a couple of bottles of the SN Barrel Aged Bigfoot.  My dad and I were able to scrounge 4 bottles together, we'll probably open one for the Super Bowl, I'd like to keep one for my wedding that would be in a year or so, and who knows for the other bottles.  The main issue with this is..I don't want to ruin such a precious beer.  Even in my amateur setting in the beer world I know this is quite a score to have, and I don't want to waste them.  Javit said if it was refrigerated (and probably away from light) it would stay just about as it is, but is there an issue for keeping it in there for a year+ with the cork drying out?  Looking for suggestions on this, I can store it in the same locations as the regular Bigfoot, and there may be a possibility to have a location in a normal cooled wine rack (but lighted) or in an extreme example a true wine cellar.

Thanks for your information.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: First Cellaring
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »
Crawlspace sounds like the best option... put everything in a box with dividers, more sturdy than a paper bag. Maybe take a temperature reading in there during the summer, if over 70 move to an area with AC til things cool off.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:13:32 AM »
Crawlspace sounds like the best option... put everything in a box with dividers, more sturdy than a paper bag. Maybe take a temperature reading in there during the summer, if over 70 move to an area with AC til things cool off.

Agreed.  My "cellar" stays at about 65.  It just means things age a little faster than if they were at true cellar temp. :shrug:

Offline Javit

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »
Crawl space, for sure.  Though I've kept bottles in fridges for years and didn't have any problem at all. Most people don't have proper cellars, so we make due with what we have.  Mine is in a rather large crawlspace that hovers between 55-63 year around depending on what it's like outside.  In the apartments where I used to live I always kept my AC running at 68 degrees and still didn't notice any huge difference in aging.  Just box 'em up and throw them in the crawlspace and forget about it for a while.
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!