Thank you for the years of support! TheBeerSpot will be shutting down at the end of 2022. Please see this thread for more details.
search

Author Topic: ***OFFICIAL*** Beer Talk thread - for talking about beers  (Read 135530 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: weird beer reviews
« Reply #4300 on: September 09, 2022, 03:54:59 PM »
“The beer is good for those who are less than craft beer enthusiast. (Full of bubble gum flavor, but lacks the progressive beer enthusiast flavors)”

I think we have a new Sammyisms contender. :mellow:

"goose fat. motor oil. wrench left overnight. light and moderate for a geuze. chicken shmaltz. definately chicken soup. worth a share. muanced blend.amz bottle.
2011 blend pretty smooth dome tongue tingler."

^actual Sammy review of HORAL Megablend

pretty smooth dome tongue tingler
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Continuing the theme of quirky beer reviews...

I've been reading the same malapropisms by this reviewer for years, but today I saw a new one. This is not verbatim, to keep it anonymous. :ninja:

Instead of saying "notes of various fruits" they write "nodes of variegated fruits". :blink:

So there are striped-leaf fruits at intersecting points in your beer? Is this purely autocorrect laziness or some kind of literary mental illness? :mellow:

Another weird one I keep seeing on BA. In nearly every review, this guy describes mouthfeel as "flemmy". :blink: First, that's not even a word, but "phlegmy"? WTF. Gross dude. :-X

"Tastes of wet sand, dry, matured hops and alcohol soaked wine grapes among soothing cream cheese and a fistful of dusty sawdust."

:-X  :blink:

Sand, cream cheese, and sawdust!? Maybe "dry" and "lactic" are the words they were looking for?

"The additive has a bit of elderly fade, but astutely present with acidic boosts & bacterial byproducts. In great measure, a close-grained frame with stormed minerality to peach embattlements, where the vintage picks up more dry funk in the echoing deferments - "

Was this written by a bot? Srs question. :blink:

This comic immediately reminded me of certain overly verbose beer "writers"...

© Tom Gauld

:lol:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 03:59:30 PM by emerge »

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** Beer Talk thread - for talking about beers
« Reply #4301 on: September 26, 2022, 07:48:54 PM »
:lol:
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
Re: weird beer reviews
« Reply #4302 on: October 25, 2022, 03:10:00 PM »
"Was there as a last stop at a bachelor party. Awesome if you're into Belgian apes."

Watch out Beermonkey! :lol:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #4303 on: October 26, 2022, 08:04:13 PM »
Picked up Plank Heller Weizenbock yesterday on discount for $9 a tallboy 4 pack. Canned on January 2022 but I figured an 8% beer in a can would be fine.  Well, I enjoyed the crap out of it. Looks like I'm bringing 4 packs of this to all upcoming social gatherings.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #4304 on: October 26, 2022, 10:56:09 PM »
Picked up Plank Heller Weizenbock yesterday on discount for $9 a tallboy 4 pack. Canned on January 2022 but I figured an 8% beer in a can would be fine.  Well, I enjoyed the crap out of it. Looks like I'm bringing 4 packs of this to all upcoming social gatherings.

Lots fresher than the bottles we used to get here a decade ago. Will look for the cans, apparently it was on tap at Hopleaf recently.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #4305 on: October 27, 2022, 02:09:58 PM »

Lots fresher than the bottles we used to get here a decade ago. Will look for the cans, apparently it was on tap at Hopleaf recently.
Fairly certain that the cans are canned here in the States by B. United. They come in the 4 packs with a sticker of the canning date like the OEC stuff.

But I wish it was not typically $15 for a 4-pack.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #4306 on: October 27, 2022, 02:17:55 PM »

Fairly certain that the cans are canned here in the States by B. United. They come in the 4 packs with a sticker of the canning date like the OEC stuff.

Cold chain transport and canning at OEC = guaranteed freshness at a slightly higher cost, imho. All the import cans from them have been fairly high priced, but per ounce I think it's a better deal than the old packaging. 11.2 oz. De Dolle bottles are basically double what they used to be years ago.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #4307 on: October 28, 2022, 03:19:19 PM »
if anyone is looking for a fun big barleywine I tried Freigeist Qimmersoriartorfissuaq iced barleywine last night.  For a big beer, this was very doable. That was not my experience with the Freigeist iced impy stout, which was way to boozy.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #4308 on: October 29, 2022, 01:00:13 AM »

Cold chain transport and canning at OEC = guaranteed freshness at a slightly higher cost, imho. All the import cans from them have been fairly high priced, but per ounce I think it's a better deal than the old packaging. 11.2 oz. De Dolle bottles are basically double what they used to be years ago.
Yep... here is a picture of the containerized tank we saw parked at B. United when we visited OEC... that's one giant keg! not exactly sure how its refrigerated though,  maybe those are chiller lines running into it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BkuRPBxn64FErxoibube_iH4FgLr0myr/view?usp=sharing
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #4309 on: October 29, 2022, 11:44:49 PM »

Yep... here is a picture of the containerized tank we saw parked at B. United when we visited OEC... that's one giant keg! not exactly sure how its refrigerated though,  maybe those are chiller lines running into it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BkuRPBxn64FErxoibube_iH4FgLr0myr/view?usp=sharing

Cool pic :cheers: each nipple is a different beer? :excited:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #4311 on: November 11, 2022, 03:09:07 PM »
Decline of Belgian beers in the US :rant:

https://imbibemagazine.com/americas-ever-evolving-relationship-with-belgian-beer/
It's cyclical, eventually a new generation will come around and Belgian beer will be novel and rebellious for them. I can still buy De Dolle, the Trappists, Duvel, and many more Belgian beers rather easily. And to be fair, overpriced (for me) Tilquins and 3Fs are cluttering up the selves in my neck of the woods. I have no idea what is the new hot hazy and never wait on lines to buy beer. All in all, could be much worse. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #4312 on: November 11, 2022, 04:52:36 PM »
Decline of Belgian beers in the US :rant:

https://imbibemagazine.com/americas-ever-evolving-relationship-with-belgian-beer/
It's cyclical, eventually a new generation will come around and Belgian beer will be novel and rebellious for them. I can still buy De Dolle, the Trappists, Duvel, and many more Belgian beers rather easily. And to be fair, overpriced (for me) Tilquins and 3Fs are cluttering up the selves in my neck of the woods. I have no idea what is the new hot hazy and never wait on lines to buy beer. All in all, could be much worse.

Hopefully so, time will tell. I'm sure they will be trendy again at some point, but the article is saying that the proliferation of new breweries now are drowning out all the imports that we grew up on, back when there weren't many local alternatives.

No shortage here either, but the big stores cleared out their dusty Belgian aisle years ago. Seems to have come back a little bit, but nowhere where it once was. Not just retail, many Belgian-inspired bars and breweries have had to pivot, from the article.

The quote from Allagash was just sad, "we can't call our Saison that anymore, now we call it Neon Holiday or some bullshit." :lol: