Thank you for the years of support! TheBeerSpot will permanently redirect to this discord server at 11:59 PM PST on 12/31/22.
Please see this thread for more details.
search

Author Topic: Howard's Homebrew  (Read 19428 times)

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
Re: Howard's Homebrew
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
It's bubbling! :excited:

And now the bubbles have stopped.  Waiting sucks.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 09:37:33 PM »
Recycling yeast: what do I need to know?  I was thinking of taking the yeast cake from the porter and throwing it in the bucket with another similar beer.  Is there a reason I shouldn't do this?

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2012, 11:31:28 PM »
Recycling yeast: what do I need to know?  I was thinking of taking the yeast cake from the porter and throwing it in the bucket with another similar beer.  Is there a reason I shouldn't do this?

Rack off the yeast cake into your keg, and then dump your new batch in the bucket.  No reason NOT to do it.

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2012, 06:45:52 AM »

Rack off the yeast cake into your keg, and then dump your new batch in the bucket.  No reason NOT to do it.

I read going that route might introduce some odd flavors due to the trub from the last batch still being in the bucket.  I'm all for skipping a step, though.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »

There are some folks who would argue you to the death about that one ;)  not me though.

Howard> look up "Yeast Washing" I have done it with some success. In fact, I won a "best in show" with a (dry) yeast that I washed and reused.

ETA: link http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »

There are some folks who would argue you to the death about that one ;)  not me though.

Howard> look up "Yeast Washing" I have done it with some success. In fact, I won a "best in show" with a (dry) yeast that I washed and reused.

I saw that thread, and I'll buy another pouch before putting in that much effort.  I was hoping to just grab the cake and toss it in.  I'll try it out.  Worst case scenario, I'm out $15 for the ingredients :shrug:

Offline pwoods

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2012, 11:45:19 AM »

I saw that thread, and I'll buy another pouch before putting in that much effort.  I was hoping to just grab the cake and toss it in.  I'll try it out.  Worst case scenario, I'm out $15 for the ingredients :shrug:
I've always just dumped a new batch on top of the cake.  It works in most cases, but it's definitely the lazy man way to go about it.  In almost all cases you're way over pitching, but in most cases it doesn't matter much.  Anything that you want a clean or mostly clean fermentation, it's fine... especially if you're going from a 5% beer to a 10%+ beer.  If you're pitching a beer that you want some solid yeast character from, you might not end up with exactly what you want.  This past year I did a dunkleweizen(not stressed and fermed at 62) and pitched a weizenbock on top of the cake.  I noticed a big difference between this weizenbock and the one that I did last year.  It's still a good beer, but not exactly what I was hoping it would be.  The 3 people that judged it also commented that it needed more yeast character and to try stressing the yeast.

I know a lot of people will scoop some of the cake out of the bucket and then pitch on what's left.  I haven't done this.  I just buy a new pitch if it's something that I want to stress or precisely control.  I really should stop being lazy and start washing, though  :mellow: :lol:

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »
Yeah, I should have added that as long as you want a clean yeast character it is fine to do that.  It is great for lagers, start with something low gravity and just gradually increase gravity through lathering season.  Like Jaysus said, many would argue but I've had great results.

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
I'm dying to brew again.  I'm sure I'll be brewing more than I can drink in no time.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2012, 07:39:26 AM »
It's nice to have a pipeline, especially with kegs

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »

I'm trying to have a new batch working every three weeks, since that's about how long it will take me to drain a keg.  Buying a couple more kegs is going to be painful, but necessary.  I also want to get some long-aged stuff going, so I'm going to take a shot at a Lambic soon.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2012, 08:18:26 AM »

I'm trying to have a new batch working every three weeks, since that's about how long it will take me to drain a keg.  Buying a couple more kegs is going to be painful, but necessary.  I also want to get some long-aged stuff going, so I'm going to take a shot at a Lambic soon.

How many fermentation vessels do you have?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2012, 08:21:17 AM »

Just one bucket.  I'll buy more when I make more beer, since I'll need to go to the homebrew shop for ingredients anyway.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2012, 08:25:53 AM »

Just one bucket.  I'll buy more when I make more beer, since I'll need to go to the homebrew shop for ingredients anyway.

It'll take over your basement soon enough.  Mark any vessels that you use brett/bugs in and keep them for funk only.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »

It'll take over your basement soon enough.  Mark any vessels that you use brett/bugs in and keep them for funk only.

No basement, but I'm already marking off closet space.

Offline pwoods

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »

:goodposting:
Anything that comes into bugs on the sanitary side, I keep separate.  Technically you can use glass carboys and bottles/kegs for both, but I would never risk that.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
Is the wife already realizing she was right to be worried about the amount of $ you would be spending? :)

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2012, 03:48:31 PM »
Is the wife already realizing she was right to be worried about the amount of $ you would be spending? :)

$50 here, $50 there, she hasn't put it together.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »
The debittered hops came yesterday, and my Wyeast 3278 packs came today.  I'm DYING to make some beer, but it will probably have to wait until Sunday :kickrock:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
The debittered hops came yesterday, and my Wyeast 3278 packs came today.  I'm DYING to make some beer, but it will probably have to wait until Sunday :kickrock:

I'll be waiting longer than that and haven't brewed in two months.  I'm going to try to do some power brewing though and get a lot going.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2012, 01:31:30 PM »

I'll be waiting longer than that and haven't brewed in two months.  I'm going to try to do some power brewing though and get a lot going.

I'd fire it up on Saturday, but my brother an his enormous family (4 kids :killmenow:) are coming over.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
Sounds like an even better reason to brew.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »
Well this isn't going so well.  My homemade filter sucked ass, so I fished it out of the kettle and ran the whole mash through a strainer.  This is less than ideal.  My pre-boil gravity was pretty close to on the money, but I'm ~2 gallons short, so I'm probably going to end up with 3-ish gallons instead of 5.  Keystone Cops kind of day for me, but oh well.  I grabbed an all-grain kit for my wife to give me for Christmas, but I need to figure out this filter situation sooner than later, or go to a false-bottom I guess.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »
I think I have the answer to the filter problem, so I'm going to try out a copper manifold.  My Lambic looks fucking awful, but we'll see how it tastes next year :shrug:

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »
CPVC filter worked great for me.

Offline Mark

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »
I think I have the answer to the filter problem, so I'm going to try out a copper manifold.  My Lambic looks fucking awful, but we'll see how it tastes next year :shrug:

Wait 'til how it looks during the aging/conditioning process. Lambic brewers talk about it being "sick" at one point, with a thick pellicle on top from the brett. and pedio.  :mellow:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »

Wait 'til how it looks during the aging/conditioning process. Lambic brewers talk about it being "sick" at one point, with a thick pellicle on top from the brett. and pedio.  :mellow:

I know the pellicle is coming, so I'm prepared for that.  Right now it's much darker than I'd expect, and pretty muddy.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »

I know the pellicle is coming, so I'm prepared for that.  Right now it's much darker than I'd expect, and pretty muddy.

Did you just do a "regular" mash?  Lots of wheat in the grist?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »

Did you just do a "regular" mash?  Lots of wheat in the grist?

I did the mash at the bottom of this page.  I had 2/3 castle pils, 1/3 torrified wheat.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:58:20 PM by howardf »

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »
Just a single rest though?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »

Yeah.  I had the wrong link above, it's fixed now.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »

Yeah.  I had the wrong link above, it's fixed now.

Wheat will make it a little muddy, not sure about torrified though, never used it.  It will be clear as can be in 2 years when it's ready to drink.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »
Batch #3 is working right now:

Malts Used:
American 2-Row Malt
60ºL Crystal Malt
Wheat Malt
Chocolate Malt

Sugars
Lactose
Light Brown Sugar

Hops Used:
Galena

Yeast Suggestion:
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2012, 02:16:32 PM »
Went wayyyy too smoothly today, which I can dig, but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Whirlpool is going now, then into the bucket it goes.  This was the maiden voyage on the mash tun, and everything went pretty well.  Beersmith had me put way too much water in for sparging, so I held 1.5 gallons of the sparged low-gravity wort back.  OG was on the money, so now we'll see if I'm short on volume, but it looks good to me.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
I came home from running a couple of errands this morning, and the wife tells me there's something wrong with the dog's stomach, it's been gurgling all morning.  I put my shoes in the closet, and she says "there it goes again, it's getting louder!"  It's the blowoff bucket gurgling :lol:  I ask if she really thought it was the dog, every couple of seconds, for an hour?  :bag:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
Wyeast 1056 American Ale is a very active yeast.  This thing has been gurgling non-stop for two days.  Can't wait to consume :banned:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »
Wyeast 1056 American Ale is a very active yeast.  This thing has been gurgling non-stop for two days.  Can't wait to consume :banned:

I use 1056 and Safale US-05 a lot. :thumbup:

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2012, 09:29:19 PM »
GB US-05

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2012, 07:05:15 PM »
Made more beer today :bag:  Berliner this time:

4 lbs German Pils
3 lbs German Wheat
.75 oz Tettnang, added at 15m
Pitched 1007 and Lacto
8.9 Brix OG

I'll let you know in six months.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »

4 lbs German Pils
3 lbs German Wheat
Pitched 1007 and Lacto
8.9 Brix OG

How many fermentation vessels do you have now?  Isn't it nice how fast it is to make a Berliner?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »

4 lbs German Pils
3 lbs German Wheat
Pitched 1007 and Lacto
8.9 Brix OG

How many fermentation vessels do you have now?  Isn't it nice how fast it is to make a Berliner?

I have four, and they're all full:

Java Porter
Brown
Berliner
Lambic

The Porter goes into a keg on Saturday, and a Gumball Head clone will take its fermenter two weeks later.  Trying to build my pipeline around a three week rotation.  The Berliner was super easy, but I still gave it a full 60 minute boil after I saw people complaining about DMS, and assuming it was linked to the short boil.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2013, 10:46:52 AM »
I checked on the Berliner this morning, and the lactic smell nearly knocked me over when I opened the closet.  Looking forward to this one :ale: :fart:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »
Cold crashed the java porter overnight in the garage near freezing, then kegged it today.  Looked nice and clean through the siphon tube against the sunlight :thumbup:  Looked a little light for a porter, but we'll see how it turns out in the glass.  Coffee beans are in a hop sock, tied off with dental floss, so I can pull them when it's strong enough for my tastes (STRONG) :banned:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »
Just pulled a flat sample to see how the coffee's doing and get my final gravity.  Tastes pretty good, and clocks in at 5.2%, which was right on the money.  It's going to be a long wait for the carbonation to kick in.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »
I think I'm going to do a Galaxy SMaSH for my first hoppy:

Code: [Select]
14 lbs                Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        100.0 %       
0.50 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           2        22.2 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min         Hop           3        24.5 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           4        14.7 IBUs     
1.50 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           5        0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)         Yeast         6        -             
1.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           7        0.0 IBUs
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:01:48 PM by howardf »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
I think I'm going to do a Galaxy SMaSH for my first hoppy:

Code: [Select]
4 lbs                 Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        100.0 %       
0.50 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           2        22.2 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min         Hop           3        24.5 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           4        14.7 IBUs     
1.50 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           5        0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)         Yeast         6        -             
1.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           7        0.0 IBUs

4 lbs of malt?  How small of a beer is that going to be?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »

The 1 got cut off, 14 lbs.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »

Ok, that makes a lot more sense.  You have everything to do all grain?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »

Ok, that makes a lot more sense.  You have everything to do all grain?

Yeah.  Once I figured out all that I needed was a cooler and some way to filter the grain from the wort, I went to Lowe's and knocked it out that day.  Other than the first batch of partial mash, everything else has been all grain.