search

Author Topic: Howard's Homebrew  (Read 9972 times)

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
Re: Howard's Homebrew
« Reply #200 on: August 20, 2013, 09:35:35 AM »
Ghetto swamp cooler for the kolsch half of the batch:

ETA: Tree is still a dick

Offline westcoastbrewer

• Malt Liquor
  • WestCoastBrewer.com
    • WestCoastBrewer.com
« Reply #201 on: August 21, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
I use a chest freezer for my fermentation and usually have it set at right about 67 F.

Here is a photo:

http://westcoastbrewer.com/BrewersBlog/home-brewing-equipment/fermentation-freezer-refrigerator/
http://westcoastbrewer.com/ WestCoastBrewer.com

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
Starter is stirring away for the Zombie Dust clone I'm doing tomorrow.  Gumballhead on Monday.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #203 on: October 26, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'll finish this keg of zombie dust clone before it's fully carbonated :ale:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #204 on: October 26, 2013, 10:07:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'll finish this keg of zombie dust clone before it's fully carbonated :ale:

I guess I'm going to have to get that recipe.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2013, 07:19:01 PM »
http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1254/sandman-zombie-dust-clone
:cheers: I just put in a pre-order for 2 pounds of 2013 Citra, so this one is going in the queue. 

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2014, 12:35:43 PM »
Finally getting back on the horse here.  Went and picked up supplies for two batches of Brown Ale.  I'm going to start with the two recipes from Brewing Classic Styles and start working towards making my own "perfect" recipe.  It's my favorite style, and I should be damn good at it, and maybe even have two or three killer recipes.  One's 4.9% and the other is 6.6%, with mild hops on the first and 60+ IBUS on the second, so it should get me started in a couple of different directions.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
Everything went well today, other than being a little short on OG.  House smells great :thumbup:  I'm going to ride out Snowmaggedon tomorrow and brew the second batch.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »
Geez, you guys are getting more snow out there? Fun. Let us know how it goes.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »
Just a little snow.

I brew in the kitchen, so no big deal for me :thumbup:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »

I brew in the kitchen, so no big deal for me :thumbup:

I wish my stove could handle it.  I'm pretty sure it would take a year to reach a boil.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »
It takes a while to get to temp, but I'll deal with it vs freezing my ass off in the garage.

I'm working on a session IPA recipe now, anybody got a good one?  I'm thinking something like 8# 2 row, .5# each C60 and carapils, and hopping to 60-ish IBUs.  I worry that the malt base is going to be lacking.  I see a bunch of dudes on HBT using mixing in Munich, Vienna, Wheat, and/or MO.  I guess I'll try it out the first time and adjust from there.  I want something I can drink a shitload of that will help burn through the hops in the freezer.

Oh, and my wife signed off on a Blichmann, so I'll be getting a 10g pot next time I'm at the shop :thumbup:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2014, 04:49:35 AM »
It takes a while to get to temp, but I'll deal with it vs freezing my ass off in the garage.

I'm working on a session IPA recipe now, anybody got a good one?  I'm thinking something like 8# 2 row, .5# each C60 and carapils, and hopping to 60-ish IBUs.  I worry that the malt base is going to be lacking.  I see a bunch of dudes on HBT using mixing in Munich, Vienna, Wheat, and/or MO.  I guess I'll try it out the first time and adjust from there.  I want something I can drink a shitload of that will help burn through the hops in the freezer.

Oh, and my wife signed off on a Blichmann, so I'll be getting a 10g pot next time I'm at the shop :thumbup:

Why only 10 gallon?  No plans to ever brew 10 gallon batches?

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2014, 05:57:05 AM »
Get a bigger pot.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2014, 06:57:14 AM »
No, no plans to brew more than 5g.  The only time I want more is when I'm making Lambic, so I'll suck it up once a year and brew three batches.  I also brew on the stove, and I can't see that working with a 10g batch.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2014, 07:09:29 AM »
No, no plans to brew more than 5g.  The only time I want more is when I'm making Lambic, so I'll suck it up once a year and brew three batches.  I also brew on the stove, and I can't see that working with a 10g batch.

I brew 10 gallon batches on my stove in the winter, but my pot is squatty enough that I can get it to reach 3 burners on my 5 burner stove.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2014, 01:16:38 PM »
Just mashed in my first batch of Lambic for this year's run.  The home brew shop had the Blichmann at their other shop, so I'll have to wait for the next batch.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2014, 01:35:58 PM »
Just mashed in my first batch of Lambic for this year's run.  The home brew shop had the Blichmann at their other shop, so I'll have to wait for the next batch.

What yeast/bugs are you using?

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »

:popcorn:

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »

WY 3278 and whatever I get out of the bottom of a 375 of 3F Oude Gueuze.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »

did you ramp that up, or just pitch it?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »

My guess is that he just pitched it.  The more I read, the more people seem to think underpitching on sours is a good thing.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »

My guess is that he just pitched it.  The more I read, the more people seem to think underpitching on sours is a good thing.

I just pitched.  I've read specifically not to use a starter on that yeast, that it will offset the balance of bugs as some grow faster than others.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
Foxy!

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2014, 01:23:52 PM »
I picked up one of these to go with it:

I'm hoping to lose a lot less beer to hops and break, especially after seeing this:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2014, 03:01:17 PM »
Yeah, I bought a hop strainer (below) and used it for the first time last weekend.  Huge difference. 

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #228 on: January 18, 2014, 11:53:24 PM »
I did another batch of lambic today for the maiden voyage of the Blichmann.  The hop strainer worked great vs. 3oz of leaf, no small task.  I also sampled my year old lambics.  The two with 3278 were good.  They're more acidic than the Belgian stuff, but tasty.  We'll see how the fruit rounds them out.  The one I did with Roselare yeast was just kind of ho hum.  I'll check back in six months to see if it's getting better, worth blending, or just written off.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2014, 03:20:04 PM »
I did another batch of lambic today for the maiden voyage of the Blichmann.  The hop strainer worked great vs. 3oz of leaf, no small task.  I also sampled my year old lambics.  The two with 3278 were good.  They're more acidic than the Belgian stuff, but tasty.  We'll see how the fruit rounds them out.  The one I did with Roselare yeast was just kind of ho hum.  I'll check back in six months to see if it's getting better, worth blending, or just written off.

Rack and pitch something else on the Roselare.  I have read that it hits awesome with the second beer on the cake and becomes very sour with everything between batch 3 and 6. 

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2014, 04:39:33 PM »
I picked up grain for my batches this weekend.  Session IPA and my first shot at a house Brown.  The grain for the Brown smells AMAZING!

8 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Brown Malt
1 lb C60
1 lb Patagonia Especiale - pretty sure this is the awesome aroma
8 oz Amber Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt

2 oz Fuggles, and WY1450.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »
Off an running on the session IPA.  Going to go with El Dorado, and skipped the bittering addition.  Getting a late start because I had to keg the beer that was in my fermenters and clean them first.  I should have taken care of that last night :thumbdown:  Also got the starter going for tomorrow.  I can't wait to brew that one, the grain smells sooooo awesome.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2014, 10:02:28 PM »
Now that you have used that screen filter in the Blinkmann a few times, what is your opinion of it?  I like the idea of being able to have the hops circulate free in the wort and have them and a lot of the break filtered out, so that one looks pretty good to me.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2014, 12:38:36 AM »
Now that you have used that screen filter in the Blinkmann a few times, what is your opinion of it?  I like the idea of being able to have the hops circulate free in the wort and have them and a lot of the break filtered out, so that one looks pretty good to me.

I like it, but I'm not getting the extraction in the pictures I posted.  They recommend using it with a pump and controlling the flow on the far end of the pump so you can get the syphon effect and extract every drop of wort.  Using gravity alone, that's not happening.  I brew 5.5 gallon batches in Beersmith, which means I have 6.5 gallons after the boil, and my 6 gallon better bottles only have a little head room left when the kettle stops emptying.  Good enough for me.  I rinse the screen the best that I can, then throw it in the oven for 10 minutes to dry it out.  I do notice that when I first open the valve that I'm getting a bunch of green, which I'm assuming is the really fine hop dust.  I haven't had any of the finished batches yet, so I'll report back if there are issues.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #234 on: January 26, 2014, 12:52:16 AM »

I like it, but I'm not getting the extraction in the pictures I posted.  They recommend using it with a pump and controlling the flow on the far end of the pump so you can get the syphon effect and extract every drop of wort.  Using gravity alone, that's not happening.  I brew 5.5 gallon batches in Beersmith, which means I have 6.5 gallons after the boil, and my 6 gallon better bottles only have a little head room left when the kettle stops emptying.  Good enough for me.  I rinse the screen the best that I can, then throw it in the oven for 10 minutes to dry it out.  I do notice that when I first open the valve that I'm getting a bunch of green, which I'm assuming is the really fine hop dust.  I haven't had any of the finished batches yet, so I'll report back if there are issues.

Since I run a whirlpool recirculation using a pump, I guess I might expect that fine dust to get set into the filter bed of shit. 

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #235 on: September 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »
I brewed two batches recently.  The first was an Oktoberfest.  Went pretty smoothly and was an uneventful brew day.  Yesterday I did a Doppelbock, and shit was bad from the start.  The mash was heavy and thick, and took forever to run off.  Ended up with too much wort, and too low of gravity, so I had to boil an extra 45 minutes.  That might actually pay off in the long run.  Then my screen I was raving about in previous posts was completely jammed with dry hop bits inside the mesh, and wouldn't drain into my carboy.  I did it the old fashioned way with the syphon, and got the carboy loaded into the freezer.  At least the yeast took off quickly.  Unfortunately, it will be months before I get to see how I did.  Fucking lagers <_<

I did take apart the hop screen and get a bunch of the crust out of there, but I can't recommend the product with that huge problem.  It's hard as hell to really clean that thing, and I'll probably stop using it.  I also ordered a real false bottom for my mash tun vs. the homemade thing I was using.  I think it will work better in the long run, and the price on amazon with prime shipping was hard to beat.  I also ordered two of the plastic big mouth bubblers from Northern Brewer.  The $8 flat rate shipping made that a no-brainer.  I paid the extra for the straps to make them easier to get in and out of the freezer.  Blowoffs might be an issue due to the height of the bubblers, so I might need to manufacture some new ones with 90 degree elbows right off of the airlock, we'll see.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
Everything arrived already, so I might have to brew this weekend to try it all out  :thumbup:

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2015, 07:50:52 AM »
I need to get back in the saddle here.  I have a homebrew competition at work on 10/1, so I should probably get something in the fermenter this weekend.  I'm assuming a bunch of people who don't know much about beer will be there, and there's a people's choice award, so I'm trying to decide how to game this to my advantage.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to keep it under 6-7%, and don't have the time to do any lagering.  Was debating Hefe, Brown, or hoppy Pale.  I think hops put off a lot of causal beer drinkers, so if I did that it would be for beer lovers vs the general attendees.

Offline skinnyguy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »
I need to get back in the saddle here.  I have a homebrew competition at work on 10/1, so I should probably get something in the fermenter this weekend.  I'm assuming a bunch of people who don't know much about beer will be there, and there's a people's choice award, so I'm trying to decide how to game this to my advantage.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to keep it under 6-7%, and don't have the time to do any lagering.  Was debating Hefe, Brown, or hoppy Pale.  I think hops put off a lot of causal beer drinkers, so if I did that it would be for beer lovers vs the general attendees.

Blond and Alt tend to be crowd-pleasers in my experience. I just call the Alt a "red ale" and people guzzle it down. At every wedding or other event I've brewed for, there are always people who want a dark beer (I do Oatmeal Stout), but if given only one choice I would stay a little lighter. I can tell you that plenty of my craft buddies still enjoy a good Alt or Blond.

For the Blond, I do:

8 lb 2-row
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb flaked oats

1 oz Saaz at 60min
1 oz Saaz at 30min

Or enough to get approximately 29-30 IBUs.