search

Author Topic: Smuttynose Brewing Update  (Read 664 times)

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Barleywine
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:00:31 PM »

smuttynose logo(Portsmouth, NH) - Smuttynose Brewing has a lot of information in their April 2012 newsletter.

Some of the highlights of the newsletter:

* They have another collaboration beer called Osiris is another project we're doing with Horst Dornbusch.

* The return of several beers: Retro Pale Ale, Imperial IPA, Altbier, and Weizenbock.

* Follow-up on the Kate The Great release day.

And lots more...

Link to Smuttynose newsletter

"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Smuttynose Brewing Update
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
Wonder if these will make it here... another example of a good brewery that seems marginally represented in the Chicago market :shrug:
I tell local shops to pick up the "big beer" line, and no one does. Only see them at Binnys, and usually collecting dust sadly.

edit: looks like the "short batch series" is a brewery exclusive.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:53:27 AM by emerge »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:25:12 AM »
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20180118/smuttynose-brewing-co-to-be-sold-at-auction

Smuttynose Brewing Co. to be sold at auction

HAMPTON -- Smuttynose Brewing Company, which bills itself as New Hampshire’s top craft brewery, is seeking an immediate buyer. The company is scheduled to be sold at bank auction March 9. Founded in 1994, the company employs 68 people and generates more than $10 million in revenue a year, it says.

The sale includes the Smuttynose brand, its LEED - Gold certified facility on the historic Towle Farm in Hampton, and Hayseed Restaurant located next to the brewery on its 13-acre campus. The brewery is capable of producing 75,000 barrels a year, according to the company. However, in the last year it has been running at 50 percent capacity.

Smuttynose owner Peter Egelston said, “The company’s financial models were based on 20 years of consistent growth but the explosion of microbreweries has led to changing dynamics in the marketplace. This dramatic shift occurred just as Smuttynose committed to a major infrastructure investment with the construction of the new production facility. As the turmoil in the marketplace stabilizes, Smuttynose, a trusted brand with strong consumer loyalty, can regain its footing with a major infusion of capital.”

Egelston recently held a staff meeting in which he informed employees of the impending auction: “I reminded them that the company’s most valuable assets are the Smuttynose brand and the people behind it. With the arrival of a new owner, we anticipate a smooth transition as we are committed to continuity.” Egelston stressed that the company is open and will conduct business as usual.

“Smuttynose’s strength lies in their dedicated and engaged employees” said Gov. Chris Sununu. “They have been a strong and reliable community partner throughout the years, and I hope the new owners, once determined, will appreciate their hardworking employee base by committing to keeping these manufacturing jobs in New Hampshire.”

Lead lender Provident Bank is managing the auction process, with James R. St. Jean out of Epping, New Hampshire as auctioneer and Delta Capital of Simsbury, Connecticut, as financial advisors. For details about the March auction visit www.jsjauctions.com

Says Provident Bank President Chuck Withee, “Smuttynose Brewing Company has been a valued customer and an important part of our community. Provident Bank is committed to working with the company during these challenging financial times to produce the best outcome for everyone involved.”

Egelston, along with partner Joanne Francis, is also owner of the Portsmouth Brewery, a popular brewpub located in downtown Portsmouth and not part of the sale.

Listen: Latest From the Newsroom

Peter Egelston got his start in craft beer in 1987 as head brewer and co-owner of the Northampton Brewery in Massachusetts, which his sister now solely owns. He founded the Portsmouth Brewery in 1991 and Smuttynose Brewing Company in 1994. Egelston is a philanthropic and environmental leader having served on the Advisory Boards of the NH Charitable Foundation and The Currier Museum of Art. He was recognized with the Humanitarian of the Year Award from the National Share our Strength organization and received the NH Business Review Excellence in Manufacturing Award.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
Trying to read between the lines here, sounds like they over invested in infrastructure when sales weren't so hot. To blame low sales on "turmoil in the market" based on "the explosion of new microbreweries" seems like a cop out. They make some good beers, but their distro in the midwest has always seemed pretty spotty and 3rd tier to me.

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 12:12:28 PM »
Trying to read between the lines here, sounds like they over invested in infrastructure when sales weren't so hot. To blame low sales on "turmoil in the market" based on "the explosion of new microbreweries" seems like a cop out. They make some good beers, but their distro in the midwest has always seemed pretty spotty and 3rd tier to me.

it seems like a lot of breweries have launched expansions and the market just isn't in their favor. green flash just withdrew distribution from 33 states and cut 15% of their staff. it's hard to keep going in markets when there are so many new microbreweries, i get that for sure. people are interested in drinking local - or fan boy. mediocre beers that are solid tried and trues aren't cutting it anymore.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:23:35 PM »
over-estimated their position, i guess.

this is going to happen to a lot of breweries. around here we went from New Glarus, Founders, Bell's and a smattering of other local & regional breweries about 10 years ago to..... hundreds of choices. Wasatch, Dogfish, Uinta, Almanac, etc.

nobody is buying a lot of those beers

all the lamenting of a few years ago where people were moaning and groaning about wanting fresh beers from the West Coast/East Cost... because why not.. the brewery should just make more beer.... is starting to blow up in people's faces.

beer fans are too fickle. when a new/hyped beer comes out people are jockeying to be first in line, while others are hundreds of places back, waiting hours for a one-off..... then 6 months later those same people have moved on and are panning not just the beer, but the brewery and its business model... that has to be terrifying to see for some of these brewery owners.

the bubble is bursting. it went from drinkers only being able to try local'ish beers, to trading cross country for other local/regional beers, to having pretty much anything in reach.. to people rejecting far flung breweries in favor of their own locals again in about 6-7 years time.

dizzying

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 12:38:36 PM »
I think breweries here are already adjusting. Texas has wonky laws (of course) and two of the best breweries in town (Jester King and Hops & Grain) are now technically brewpubs. It caps their overall production but allows for sales right from the brewery.

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »
You're going to be seeing a lot of breweries with far-flung distribution pull out of markets that they can't compete in.  The model 5 years ago was to take your regional brand and make it national.  The trend to day is to drink from the brewery in your hometown.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 03:45:31 PM »
You're going to be seeing a lot of breweries with far-flung distribution pull out of markets that they can't compete in.  The model 5 years ago was to take your regional brand and make it national.  The trend to day is to drink from the brewery in your hometown.
Truth

Honestly I've about given up on chasing beer. I haven't chased any unicorns in a long time. I think I went out of my way to pick up a bomber of KBS last year.
I've always compared it to the baseball market of the late 80s. Get's hot and expands to the point the market is oversaturated and :boom:
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
the bubble is bursting. it went from drinkers only being able to try local'ish beers, to trading cross country for other local/regional beers, to having pretty much anything in reach.. to people rejecting far flung breweries in favor of their own locals again in about 6-7 years time.
Eh, I don't think this is true. You describe the trend/pattern/habit that some beer geeks fall into, but that's a small fraction of the big picture. New casual beer drinkers are born every day, and many aren't concerned with any of this stuff. I feel like larger semi-national breweries should have already positioned themselves in places where they are in front of this casual audience. Chain restaurants, ballparks, grocery stores, etc. I realize those outlets are very competitive and sometimes monopolized by macro distributors.

Being spoiled for choice is creating it's own issues, for one, languishing beers no one buys (like you said). The market is bigger than ever, but so is the audience. I don't buy the "all the little guys are taking our business" excuse that bigger, established breweries are projecting.

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 05:08:16 PM »
there's still plenty of room for new, smaller breweries, particularly in some under-served areas, but there will definitely be more consolidation and the growth to regional or national presence will become much more rare occurrences.

As others have said, the competition problem isn't that there's dozens/hundreds of breweries, it's that generally they're all still competing for the same small amount of shelf space at the large retail markets and tap space at other venues.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »
Guess this means they pulled out of the midwest. Didn't realize it at the time. :sad banana:

Edit: Eh, maybe it's just their beer finder is screwed up. Beermenus is still showing stuff.
Still seems pretty sparse from what i've seen around.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:31:50 AM by emerge »