search

Author Topic: San Francisco May 7-11  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Phish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »
GB business trips.  Gonna be in San Francisco that week. Staying somewhere at the Fisherman's Wharf. 

:coffee:

Offline ender

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Location: Kicking your asses at SFV and have a summer home in pandora
  • Putting in the hardest work of all, caring...
Re: San Francisco May 7-11
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:27:15 AM »
if you haven't been here before... it's nerdy, but fun and right up in fishermans wharf and free.
http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/

food recommendations.

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/
this has a bunch of local stuffs and there's a farmers market on thursday at 10am.
cowgirl creamery has a nice cheese stall...
and blue bottle coffee is the buzz coffee of the town, tcho hot chocolate for the win.

http://www.beastandthehare.com/  :pickle: :pickle:
http://www.humphryslocombe.com/|_Home_|.html 
and if you go there... you should walk down to... http://www.dynamodonut.com/our_donuts.html
(there's a ton of good mexican places down by hs)
http://www.tubarestaurant.com/menu.html
http://fattedcalf.com/ pulled pork was good here...

breakfast
plow and dottie's true blue cafe are the ####ing best but both'll have a wait, go early.
http://www.eatatplow.com/
http://dotties.biz/

plow's a bit to get to... but worth it.

travel recs

if you stay up in the fishermans wharf... daily parking of a rental car is steep as ####.
rent when you want to leave town and use pt in town... the bart, muni are easy if you look them over.
get a clippercard, as it can be used on both.

use the google travel thing to get good bus directions from where you are.

sightseeing.
the palace at night is pretty badass. http://www.palaceoffinearts.org/Welcome.html
the alcatraz tour is worth it, go early.
the disney museum was interesting as well. http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/
marin headlands are worth visiting and good shooting of the bridge and SF fog pending.

beer recommendations
just like chicago, you can cluster your beer travels with ease with the bart and muni.
memphis minnies and rosamunde are right by toronado as food recs,
using the same bus line which travels up haight, you can easily hit magnolia, and then take it back down to market and walk to lucky 13, one of my fav, chill bars that has pliny on tap most days.

city beer is worth a session, go knowing it's a 2 hour minimum time there, look over their bottle list for onsite consumption.
good beers there, pricey, but good.

the bart out to oakland and 16th is worth it too...
beer revolution and the trappist are pretty great destinations. check the bottle lists at both.
and down the street is a bev'mo, which carries all types of bottle shippers for sending beer home.
i'd say go get the box first and go to city beer after... you can buy bottles at city beer... fill the box, and 2 blocks away from city beer, is a fedex.
bring packing tape and grab a northwest brewing news for troublesome bottles.

berkeley is a fun town and going to triple rock is part of the sf experience, great bar, that place has a great feel to it.
the beer's decent.

places that are less known...
really like church key which is up in the area you're close to as well as irish bank.
really like pi bar down in the mission.
check the taplist at amsterdam cafe, i had a choice of two cantilions whilst there on draft, reasonable too.

tours

reserve your anchor tour today, only weekdays. it's a great tour.
friday and saturday, speakeasy has an open house, worth the time, if you're staying in city.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:41:40 AM by ender »
rhyder74 on ps4.

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
Awesome, just awesome.  Many thanks!!!! :cheers:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »
Dave covered pretty much everything.  I would say Dynamo Donuts is a must.  The orange something or another are even better than the maple bacon ones.  One place I didn't see mentioned that I really enjoyed was Monk's Kettle.

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »
Is it even worth it to think about trying to get up to Russian River for the day?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:07:26 PM »
Is it even worth it to think about trying to get up to Russian River for the day?

If you can swing it, it's worth it.  The problem would be staying sober enough to drive back.

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »

is there a fed ex store in Santa Rosa  :unsure:
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »

I've heard stories about how strict they are there because they're in wine country. Signs posted "absolutely no alcohol" and they check every box. I noticed a sign like that in a random office supply store in Fairfax, CA too. Probably better off shipping from SF with a styro shipper from Bevmo.

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »

I've heard stories about how strict they are there because they're in wine country. Signs posted "absolutely no alcohol" and they check every box. I noticed a sign like that in a random office supply store in Fairfax, CA too. Probably better off shipping from SF with a styro shipper from Bevmo.

it was a joke...

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »

it was a joke...
:shuked: just sayin, its good to know.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 05:15:29 PM »

I got turned down trying to ship a single bottle shipper with a beatification a few years back. I dropped it off and left like normal but the lady called after me, "Son, is this alcohol?" I said no, and she said she was going to open it to check. I just took it and left.

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
It's been decided. Heading up to Russian River that Monday and getting a hotel there. :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Then, head back to SF on Tuesday morning, return the rental and kick it around the city all day.

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:59:53 PM »

In Healdsburg the fedex advertise that they ship wine.  Don't know if its legal or not but they do.  They sell the 12 bottle shippers at the store. 
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »
Piggy backing on this.  Going to be in SF from 4/29-5/5.  Work conference at the Ritz Carlton 4/29-5/2.  Staying until Saturday morning, so I have Wed, Thurs and Fri to do whatever I want.  Gonna priceline a place to stay in SF Tues/Wed night.  Planning on renting a car and going up to Russian River Thursday and spending night.  Probably check out Lagunitas as well.  Not sure what to do or where to stay on Friday.

Very excited, having never been before.
Dan

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
Depending on if you are looking to do just beer stuff, you could head up the coast and do Point Reyes, Half Moon Bay, etc and hit Iron Springs in Fairfax on the way there or back.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
Depending on if you are looking to do just beer stuff, you could head up the coast and do Point Reyes, Half Moon Bay, etc and hit Iron Springs in Fairfax on the way there or back.

Probably depends on if the wife decides to come out for the non work portion of the trip.  Might try to do something in Sonoma on Friday if she does. If I roll solo the entire time I'll probably just do beer stuff.
Dan

Offline ender

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 09:23:27 AM »
my two cents on russian river... it's a two day, one night trip... so rent the car in town... go up and return the car

stop at lagunitas, broken drum, iron springs, then go up to bear republic and then stay the night with the rental in santa rosa and spend your evening at russian river.
parking a rental car in sf is usually spensive.

iron springs and broken drum are great... worth stopping at... if you look at broken drum's hours, they do a pretty awesome breakfast, and you can get a sampler to go along with it.

stop at the marin headlands on the way back... do some photoing.
rhyder74 on ps4.

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
Piggy backing on this.  Going to be in SF from 4/29-5/5.  Work conference at the Ritz Carlton 4/29-5/2.  Staying until Saturday morning, so I have Wed, Thurs and Fri to do whatever I want.  Gonna priceline a place to stay in SF Tues/Wed night.  Planning on renting a car and going up to Russian River Thursday and spending night.  Probably check out Lagunitas as well.  Not sure what to do or where to stay on Friday.

:hot:

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 03:36:13 PM »
my two cents on russian river... it's a two day, one night trip... so rent the car in town... go up and return the car

stop at lagunitas, broken drum, iron springs, then go up to bear republic and then stay the night with the rental in santa rosa and spend your evening at russian river.

iron springs and broken drum are great... worth stopping at... if you look at broken drum's hours, they do a pretty awesome breakfast, and you can get a sampler to go along with it.

Where'd you stay in SF?  Did you do Priceline?
Dan

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
Every time TT posts about Iron Springs in Fairfax I  :lol:.  Tiny town of 7k where I grew up.

If you do the wine thing in Sonoma, I'd be happy to make some recommendations for you guys.  You will get plenty of beer advice from everybody else.

FYI if you fly out of the airport of Sonoma, you can check a case of wine free of charge. No reason it can't be Russian River beers!

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »
Every time TT posts about Iron Springs in Fairfax I  :lol:.  Tiny town of 7k where I grew up.

If you do the wine thing in Sonoma, I'd be happy to make some recommendations for you guys.  You will get plenty of beer advice from everybody else.

FYI if you fly out of the airport of Sonoma, you can check a case of wine free of charge. No reason it can't be Russian River beers!

:excited:

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »

:excited:

Direct flight to LAX!

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »

I liked the place when I was there.  Good beers and big time community feel. :shrug:

Offline ender

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »

Where'd you stay in SF?  Did you do Priceline?

pricelined in the civic center area at 45 a night and got the days inn... good spot...
three blocks away from the bus that hits toronado.
rhyder74 on ps4.

Offline dill

• IPA
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 11:32:39 PM »

It turns out I'll be back in the states in SF for work during this time as well.  Essentially leaving tomorrow and will be working in SF for three weeks then have a week off after that.  Am planning on heading to SoCal and Texas during that time, but I fly out of SF on the 8th so I'll be back up by the weekend.  I might just end up missing you guys, but if anyone else will be around (SF, LA/SD, Texas) during that time give a shout.  I miss good beer.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 11:46:06 PM »

It turns out I'll be back in the states in SF for work during this time as well.  Essentially leaving tomorrow and will be working in SF for three weeks then have a week off after that.  Am planning on heading to SoCal and Texas during that time, but I fly out of SF on the 8th so I'll be back up by the weekend.  I might just end up missing you guys, but if anyone else will be around (SF, LA/SD, Texas) during that time give a shout.  I miss good beer.

Hit me up when you're in town. I live in the 78704 now and love it. We can grab a beer or dinner.

Offline dill

• IPA
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 11:58:54 PM »

Hit me up when you're in town. I live in the 78704 now and love it. We can grab a beer or dinner.

Sounds great.  I like that part of town.  Seen the Hell In Keller on lately?  Would love to share a couple pints of that.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 01:05:35 AM »

Sounds great.  I like that part of town.  Seen the Hell In Keller on lately?  Would love to share a couple pints of that.

I think I've been to Uncle Billy's once since the last time we went about 2 years ago....

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
Just booked a room at the Marriott in Santa Rosa.  In exactly 3 weeks I'll be sitting at Russian River drinking myself into a stupor. :ale: :banned: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »
Just booked a room at the Marriott in Santa Rosa.  In exactly 3 weeks I'll be sitting at Russian River drinking myself into a stupor. :ale: :banned: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

How much, if you dont mind me asking?  I'm still working on lodging for Santa Rosa.
Dan

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »

If you need a good dive bar post RR, hit up the 440 Club. 

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:49 AM »

How much, if you dont mind me asking?  I'm still working on lodging for Santa Rosa.
We got a room with two queen beds for $170/night including tax.  I have a friend heading up with me so it helps to split the rental and room with.
It looks to be about a 1/3 to 1/2 mile walk from RR. We had to have something within walking distance.

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »

Thanks. Don't know if it's humanly possible to spend an entire day at RR so we may need a change of scenery.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »

Thanks. Don't know if it's humanly possible to spend an entire day at RR so we may need a change of scenery.
Flavor Bistro is right around the corner from RR... unofficial sponsor bar of Moonlight Brewing. :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 10:14:30 AM »
I liked the place when I was there.  Good beers and big time community feel. :shrug:
+1 Enjoyed the vibes there also

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »

Flavor Bistro is right around the corner from RR... unofficial sponsor bar of Moonlight Brewing. :thumbup:

+ x a million for Moonlight. Amazing stuff.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »
Looking to go to a Giants game.  Any sections to avoid?  Are tickets easy to get on game day?
Dan

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
Looking to go to a Giants game.  Any sections to avoid?  Are tickets easy to get on game day?
I looked into that when I was going to be there, but the Giants are on the road while I'm in town.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 09:51:25 PM »
Nice, $15 a day for the rental car.  Fucking taxes and fees cost more than the actual rental car.
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »
Nice, $15 a day for the rental car.  ####ing taxes and fees cost more than the actual rental car.
Had to bend over once all was said and done with Budget in SF. F###ers. <_<

Offline ender

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »

the beerbar that's connected to the stadium is awesome... 21st amendment right up the street... great sunday brunch at 21a.
tickets are there, seen folks broker at the beer bar...

cartoon art museum is right there too...
and if you've set it up, anchor brewing tour is a short busride away.
rhyder74 on ps4.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 12:45:05 AM »
As I work out this tentative plan, I've come to the realization that there is little chance in even seeing half of everything that I'd want to in 3 days.

Tuesday - Get out of work around 1:30, head to hotel to check in, swing by Fatted Calf for lunch, grab the BART to Monk's Kettle to drink until I need to go pick up my wife at the airport.  Take her stuff back to the hotel and go to dinner at Zero Zero. 

Wednesday - Dynamo Donuts for breakfast, spend a good chunk of the morning at California Academy of Sciences, walk to PPQ for lunch, check out Magnolia Brewpub, Hit Nopa for dinner and spend the night at Toronado (hopefully partaking in some Cable Car).

Thursday - Dottie's for breakfast, head down to the airport to pick up rental car, drive up to Santa Rosa, stop at Lagunitas along the way, check into the hotel, get crunked at Russian River for the night

Friday - Breakfast in Santa Rosa, if Beatification bottles are still around wait for RR to open so I can grab some more, head back down to SF, stop off in Oakland grab some bottle shippers, pack some beers up and drop off at Fedex while we still have the car, drop the car off at the airport, check into hotel, grab some dinner at Marlowe, go to the Giants/Brewers game.

Saturday - Probably get breakfast at Dottie's again since it's so close to the hotel, check out and head to the airport to go home :(
Dan

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »
Back home, still trying to get back on Central Time as I finally got adjusted to Pacific Time on Friday.  Have a ton of pictures, need to compose an ender-esque blog post covering everything at some point in the next couple of days.
Dan

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 06:45:08 PM »
As I work out this tentative plan, I've come to the realization that there is little chance in even seeing half of everything that I'd want to in 3 days.

Tuesday - Get out of work around 1:30, head to hotel to check in, swing by Fatted Calf for lunch, grab the BART to Monk's Kettle to drink until I need to go pick up my wife at the airport.  Take her stuff back to the hotel and go to dinner at Zero Zero. 

Wednesday - Dynamo Donuts for breakfast, spend a good chunk of the morning at California Academy of Sciences, walk to PPQ for lunch, check out Magnolia Brewpub, Hit Nopa for dinner and spend the night at Toronado (hopefully partaking in some Cable Car).

Thursday - Dottie's for breakfast, head down to the airport to pick up rental car, drive up to Santa Rosa, stop at Lagunitas along the way, check into the hotel, get crunked at Russian River for the night

Friday - Breakfast in Santa Rosa, if Beatification bottles are still around wait for RR to open so I can grab some more, head back down to SF, stop off in Oakland grab some bottle shippers, pack some beers up and drop off at Fedex while we still have the car, drop the car off at the airport, check into hotel, grab some dinner at Marlowe, go to the Giants/Brewers game.

Saturday - Probably get breakfast at Dottie's again since it's so close to the hotel, check out and head to the airport to go home :(

Did they have cable car when you were there?  I was told by two diff bartenders they were out.
“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 09:22:49 PM »

Did they have cable car when you were there?  I was told by two diff bartenders they were out.

Nope, I went 2 different nights and was told both times they were out.  The second night, I talked to 2 different bartenders and they legitimately looked in all of the coolers for me, so I believe that I didn't get jerked around.  I know someone that went in the middle of April (like the 16th) and got a bottle, so they must have just run out.  Or they sent it all down to SD for CBC.
Dan

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:23 PM »

Nope, I went 2 different nights and was told both times they were out.  The second night, I talked to 2 different bartenders and they legitimately looked in all of the coolers for me, so I believe that I didn't get jerked around.  I know someone that went in the middle of April (like the 16th) and got a bottle, so they must have just run out.  Or they sent it all down to SD for CBC.

Yea, we all had our money pooled and were ready to pull the trigger :sadbanana:

Sucks, CIty Beer was also out of Framboise for a Cure which I was willing to throw down the :cash: on :sadbanana: :sadbanana:

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »

Sucks, CIty Beer was also out of Framboise for a Cure which I was willing to throw down the :cash: on :sadbanana: :sadbanana:

Yeah, I was sad on that one too when I went to City Beer Store.  I didn't see too much that excited me there.  Grabbed a Supplication Batch 10 and an Almanac Biere de Mars for Dave.  So I just spent all my money on a case of Beats from Russian River.
Dan

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 11:10:44 PM »

Yeah, I was sad on that one too when I went to City Beer Store.  I didn't see too much that excited me there.  Grabbed a Supplication Batch 10 and an Almanac Biere de Mars for Dave.  So I just spent all my money on a case of Beats from Russian River.

:jawdrop: :bow: :bow:

Offline ender

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 04:49:28 AM »
I like the cut of your jib sir... looking forward to a recap that isn't one of mine.
rhyder74 on ps4.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 10:26:13 AM »
I like the cut of your jib sir... looking forward to a recap that isn't one of mine.
:goodposting:

nice pr0n here Dan :thumbup: