search

Author Topic: Charlotte, NC  (Read 2031 times)

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
Charlotte, NC
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »
Looks like I'll be in Charlotte in  March.  Not much time, flying in Tuesday afternoon and flying home Wednesday evening.  We are staying at the Doubletree just north of downtown.  Any recommendations? 
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
Re: Charlotte, NC
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »
In my opinion, best place in Charlotte by far for food and drink is Duckworth's on Park Road.  If I ever go through Charlotte on a trip, I stop there to eat.  I am not sure if the other locations have the selection they do or if it is anywhere near where you will be.  If you want to try and buy a couple bottles for taking home, it also has the advantage of being right across the street from Brawley's which is the best beer store in town.  It is right by a Total Wine as well.

If that is far, other places I have heard a lot of buzz about lately is a new brewery called NODA, but I think they only do beer to go and no food.  So that likely won't work too well.  Also, the beers I have had from Olde Mecklenurg have been pretty tasty.  They do all German style stuff.  Not sure if they have a tasting room with food or not.

If none of these work, I know a lot of people like Mac's Speed Shop.  I think one location is better than the other supposedly but not sure which.  There are a couple Taco Mac locations in Charlotte as well as a Flying Saucer to fit the chain place with good tap list niche as well.  I have heard a lot of people mention Brixx Pizza.

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
Heading to Charlotte next weekend and am definitely hitting Noda, right now they have a Gose available in growlers, and I'm hoping to pick up a case of their Hop Drop and Roll IPA, which I hear is outstanding. The plan is to at least do a flight of whatever sounds good and maybe take a tour.

I'll only be in town from Sunday around 11am til Tuesday noon.

Might check out Birdsong Brewery if I have time, but its not on the to-do lost as of now. I'm gonna try to hit Brawleys too since they carry lots of local stuff.

Offline everetends

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:50:26 PM »
Heading to Charlotte next weekend and am definitely hitting Noda, right now they have a Gose available in growlers, and I'm hoping to pick up a case of their Hop Drop and Roll IPA, which I hear is outstanding. The plan is to at least do a flight of whatever sounds good and maybe take a tour.

Might check out Birdsong Brewery if I have time, but its not on the to-do lost as of now. I'm gonna try to hit Brawleys too since they carry lots of local stuff.

There is a pretty good bottle shop just down the road from NODA called Salud:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Salud-Beer-Shop/287260674660967

My wife stopped there a few weeks ago while there on business.  She said it was smaller than she expected, but the selection was all quality, customer service was great and they have some good stuff on tap for drinking there.  Could be a good place to grab some Wicked Weed beers and other offerings if they haven't sold out for the week at that point. 
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 12:41:20 AM »

My wife stopped there a few weeks ago while there on business.  She said it was smaller than she expected, but the selection was all quality, customer service was great and they have some good stuff on tap for drinking there.  Could be a good place to grab some Wicked Weed beers and other offerings if they haven't sold out for the week at that point.
My trip got postponed dammit.

Any chance you'd be interested in swapping some Hop Drop for some Cigar City beers? I NEED some Hop Drop. Lol

Offline everetends

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 05:38:47 PM »

Any chance you'd be interested in swapping some Hop Drop for some Cigar City beers? I NEED some Hop Drop. Lol
We live 6 hours away so I don't have easy access.  If I had gotten more, I'd definitely hook you up.  She only grabbed me a four pack and I gifted two of those to others. 
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 05:22:17 AM »

We live 6 hours away so I don't have easy access.  If I had gotten more, I'd definitely hook you up.  She only grabbed me a four pack and I gifted two of those to others.
I've actually got three 4-packs on the way as well as a couole of Wicked Weed soures via a couple of trades. I couldn't wait, I had to get my hands on some HDR. Lol

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
Visiting friends in Charlotte this weekend and will be at Browns/Panthers. Came across this list which has all of the places already mentioned in the thread plus a few more. Hoping to check out several of them

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 04:48:45 PM »
Ass Clown Brewing Company :mellow:

A friend visited last summer and recommended Salud Beer Shop.
I'm partial to Old Mecklenburg beers, if you like German beers you'll dig it.

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »
Charlotte was fun.  Didn't make it to OMB but I did have one of their Dunkels, which was pretty solid.

We split a couple flights at NoDa and the same at Heist and then hit up Salud.

Hop, Drop n' Roll was very tasty. Took 4 pack to tailgate along with several bombers from Salud. I also thought the Great Scott was also very nice. 

Wasn't blown away by the belgian-style/inspired beers at Heist. I enjoyed the Cataclysm (RIS) and the Space Rabbit the most.  I did enjoy their pecan wood smoked manhattan though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS5XN8ze0p8

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 07:20:07 PM »
Charlotte was fun.  Didn't make it to OMB but I did have one of their Dunkels, which was pretty solid.

We split a couple flights at NoDa and the same at Heist and then hit up Salud.

Hop, Drop n' Roll was very tasty. Took 4 pack to tailgate along with several bombers from Salud. I also thought the Great Scott was also very nice. 

Wasn't blown away by the belgian-style/inspired beers at Heist. I enjoyed the Cataclysm (RIS) and the Space Rabbit the most.  I did enjoy their pecan wood smoked manhattan though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS5XN8ze0p8
Birdsong is right across the street from NoDa. Their Jalapeño Pale Ale is pretty good.

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »
yeah, i'm not sure why we skipped birdsong. Website says they recently changed their Sat hours, so perhaps they weren't open yet. Will be sure to hit them up next trip. 

I did have one of their jalepeno ales and thought it was decent. I'm not a huge fan of chili beers. I think one of the best i ever had was a homebrew jalepeno cream ale. Was just the right amount of spice with a great mouthfeel.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 07:23:15 PM »
anyone got notes on Greensboro NC?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »

Make sure you use the right restroom.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »

Drive to Winston-Salem and go to Foothill's would be my suggestion.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 09:08:28 AM »

friends of mine are moving to Greensboro.  they're granola people. is this going to be total culture shock for them?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »

friends of mine are moving to Greensboro.  they're granola people. is this going to be total culture shock for them?
Asheville is a pretty hippie town i've heard, but it's 2.5 hours west of there.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »

Assuming they are from Green Bay, then they quite likely will have culture shock.  They will be moving from a red county to a blue one.  Also, there is actually racial diversity there.

Asheville is a pretty hippie town i've heard, but it's 2.5 hours west of there.

It is full of hippies when the weather is nice.  They seem to be young hippies with trust funds that decide they can go back home when it gets cold instead of hanging out on the sidewalks or in the parks in town.

There is not that kind of concentration of hippies anywhere else in the state that I know of.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »

Assuming they are from Green Bay, then they quite likely will have culture shock.  They will be moving from a red county to a blue one.  Also, there is actually racial diversity there.

she's from the Kentucky/Indiana border but has lived in NYC and Philadelphia for the last 15 or so years.  he's from Philadelphia.