search

Author Topic: Last pre-prohibition brewery on Chicago's north side slated for demolition  (Read 2107 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
...to make room for an HHGregg, on the same block as another big box electronics store... with plenty of vacant retail buildings already in the area. :shrug: This was the site of "Golden Prairie Brewing" in the '90s, where Josh Deth of Revolution had his first commercial brewing job.

Stories:
http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2011/12/01/the-brand-brewing-complex-to-raze-or-not-to-raze
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/14/preservationists-mobilize-to-save-historic-elston-avenue-brewery/

Photos:
http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/bygone-breweries/

Petition:
http://www.change.org/petitions/1st-ward-save-and-re-use-the-brand-brewery-complex-from-big-box-development

Offline beam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
 :thumbdown:

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
If this is really in the 1st ward, let the alderman know. Moreno is on the twitter and is usually pretty responsive. @alderman_moreno

That being said, he's also really pushing the 'get business back in the 1st ward' angle and has been somewhat successful for a newer alderman. If there was an actual repurposing plan, I bet you would at least get his attention. However, if it's just 'don't tear it down because it might be used eventually as something else,' my guess is you won't get very far.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
If this is really in the 1st ward, let the alderman know. Moreno is on the twitter and is usually pretty responsive. @alderman_moreno

That being said, he's also really pushing the 'get business back in the 1st ward' angle and has been somewhat successful for a newer alderman. If there was an actual repurposing plan, I bet you would at least get his attention. However, if it's just 'don't tear it down because it might be used eventually as something else,' my guess is you won't get very far.

I agree, a repurposing plan is probably a more effective preservation tool than a petition with a few sigs on it.

The coverage of this has been going since the fall, I only recently heard about it. Moreno apparently tried to block it, but the most recent word is that it's off the orange list, meaning it can be demo'ed at anytime.

Quote from: http://columbiachronicle.com/razing-chicago’s-brewing-history/
Moreno also showed his support for the landmark by saying he would not approve a zoning change that the retailer would require to build upon the land. Despite Moreno’s raising awareness to possible investors and proposing the denial of zoning laws to build the structure it wants, the building sits and waits for renovation or demolition. The city had postponed the demolition, but as of Dec. 5, the site was removed from the hold list and technically could be razed at any moment.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
It would have been cool to see someone like Revolution pick this space for their packaging brewery, but my guess is the $5.85 mil price tag (plus the renovation costs) was a bit high for Josh. Who knows if he would have even considered it with GI Clybourn so close.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
So I noticed the demo has started on this building already... and read somewhere that it may be a parking lot instead of an electronics store now. There's a salvage company called Urban Remains that may be selling off items from the building.

If they're selling a trash can from the brewery for $350, i'd better go salvage my own...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:08:57 PM by emerge »

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
Urban Remains keep getting more pricy but I have found that the instore prices are cheaper than the online prices.  I haven't been in almost a year.
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
Utter stupidity.  There should be a law that states if a place wants to redevelop a site in an area, they have to choose the least architecturally valuable site to redevelop.  Leaving abandoned big box stores standing and tearing down something of architectural value should be a crime.  They're proposing something similar in Watervliet NY, tearing down an historic church to build a fucking Price Chopper.

Sickening.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
Utter stupidity.  There should be a law that states if a place wants to redevelop a site in an area, they have to choose the least architecturally valuable site to redevelop.  Leaving abandoned big box stores standing and tearing down something of architectural value should be a crime.  They're proposing something similar in Watervliet NY, tearing down an historic church to build a ####ing Price Chopper.

Sickening.

Very. Sad to see stuff like this go down.
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Here are some pics of the place. Might try to "salvage" a brick or something for the garden, just to say I have a piece of Chicago's last northside pre-prohibition brewery :cry:

http://gapersblock.com/demolished/2012/01/2530-n-elston-ave.php
http://gapersblock.com/merge/archives/2012/05/11/the-end-of-the-brand/

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Salvaged a nice little chunk of the secondary terracotta ledge today, shown in the picture above... it's going in the garden.
Lots of bricks scattered on the edge of the site in the Home Depot parking lot, if anyone is a weirdo like me and wants a piece of history (and not a $400 garbage can).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:48:31 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Salvaged a nice little chunk of the secondary terracotta ledge today, shown in the picture above... it's going in the garden.
Lots of bricks scattered on the edge of the site in the Home Depot parking lot, if anyone is a weirdo like me and wants a piece of history (and not a $400 garbage can).

Here's the DIY architectural salvage...

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic

Very cool, in a sad way.  :thumbup:  If there are any more bricks marked like that, snag me one if you get a chance.  I love old shit like that.  I'll grab it at GT.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Very cool, in a sad way.  :thumbup:  If there are any more bricks marked like that, snag me one if you get a chance.  I love old shit like that.  I'll grab it at GT.
Just saw your post... i'll roll by there and see, still a ginormous pile of bricks at this point.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic

Just saw your post... i'll roll by there and see, still a ginormous pile of bricks at this point.

Cool!  :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Drive/bike past this every day... it's still a sad, overgrown pile of bricks :(

Found this photo set of the demolition though (and another weirdly cool one inside the office).

Ender> :bye:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Last pre-prohibition brewery on Chicago's north side slated for demolition
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »
Some interesting related history about Virgil Brand, a co-owner of the Brand Brewing Company and also the Chicago Coin Company. He designed what is now Brands Park, the only remaining place (barring any unknown tied houses) connected to this early 20th century Chicago brewery, which originally housed a beer garden (pouring Brand's beer, no doubt). I pass by this park frequently, so i'm reminded of the history fairly often.

http://reliablerascal.com/avondale/2012/08/brands-park-the-former-playground-of-avondales-most-famous-coin-collector/

Brand lived in a humble bachelor’s pad atop his (recently demolished) brewery on the west side of Elston Avenue in neighboring Logan Square, he turned a property on the east side of Elston in Avondale into an extravagant picnic grove- featuring a beer garden, bowling alley, hobby horses, dancing pavilion, shooting gallery, photo booths, merry-go-round, a ‘fruit column’ (likely a tribute to the famous fruit column of Stuttgart, Germany), and a restaurant tent.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Have you ever been to the Target on Elston?
Did you know it used to be the site of the Home Brewery from 1910-1920?
Me either. Kind of cool, it would have been right by the Brand Brewery at that time.

It was a cooperative company formed by "100 saloonkeepers", and operated for only 10 years before prohibition struck.
The site was a full city block and adjacent to the NW railroad. It featured a 250-barrel kettle and a 125-foot "radical brick chimney".
Projected capacity was 50,000 to 60,000 barrels, and it was built so capacity could easily be doubled if business was good.

(Brewers Journal v. 34, 1909)

PS: The Brand Brewery that was demolished a few years ago is still a vacant lot...

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
The movie theater on Western across from Owen & Engine was the site of Eagle Brewing from 1909-1927.

A blurb from a 1911 Polish publication

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
I've seen old bottles that said "Berliner Weiss"  and Chicago on them, and wondered if it was a German immigrant brewing actual Berliner Weiss.

Here's a glass with a wild story to tell...

Another 12-ounce bowl-type glass from my collection of old Chicago breweriana. I'm dating it between 1892-1905. Very good legible etching on this glass from one of Chicago's more famous weiss beer breweries. Actually, the brewery might be more famous for it's role during the earliest days of Prohibition in Chicago. From my book, Beer: A History of Brewing in Chicago ;

" On a tip from an informant, police staked out the Pfeiffer Brewery on North Leavitt, a brewery controlled by mobster Terry Druggan and under the protection of Torrio, and seized three trucks loaded with beer and an additional 2,300 barrels of real beer. Druggan's men had planned to break the police blockade surrounding the brewery by rushing the police with the loaded trucks and quickly delivering the beer to their saloon accounts. The plan fell through when police arrested Martin O'Leary, a member of Terry Druggan's Valley Gang, who was to have led the mad dash from the brewery. In an embarrassing counteroffensive by local bootleggers, a member of Torrio's gang brazenly stole a confiscated truckload of beer from the front of a police station on Irving Park as the driver was being grilled inside. "Someone will be out of a job before tomorrow morning," vowed an embarrassed Chief Collins to the press."
The brewery was torn down 2 years ago. Progress, yeah...while the city wipe's out it's own history.
120a William Pfeifer 499 Milwaukee Ave. 1888-1891
120b William Pfeifer 339-347 Leavitt St. 1892-1909
(aka Berlin Weiss Beer Co.) 1892-1905
(aka William Pfeifer Weiss Beer Co.) 1892-1905
(aka Pfiefer's Berlin Weiss Beer Co.) 1905-1909
121c William Pfeifer, 718-742 N. Leavitt St. 1909-1918
(aka Pfiefer's Berlin Weiss Beer Co.)
121d Superior Brewing Co., 1933-1941
(aka Hunter's Brewery, Inc.) c1936
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:02:32 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Last pre-prohibition brewery on Chicago's north side slated for demolition
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 10:31:27 AM »
Here's what the place looks like now, like it was never there. :sadbanana:

https://goo.gl/maps/cmp6b1BPUQz

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Stumbled across this cool site of a few abandoned midwestern breweries and a distillery in KY. One really cool one is in Trempealeau, WI where the only thing left are the brewery caves built into sandstone caves along the Mississippi River.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
Very very cool!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Some interesting related history about Virgil Brand, a co-owner of the Brand Brewing Company and also the Chicago Coin Company. He designed what is now Brands Park, the only remaining place (barring any unknown tied houses) connected to this early 20th century Chicago brewery, which originally housed a beer garden (pouring Brand's beer, no doubt). I pass by this park frequently, so i'm reminded of the history fairly often.

http://reliablerascal.com/avondale/2012/08/brands-park-the-former-playground-of-avondales-most-famous-coin-collector/

So, I read another article about this guy and apparently he had the world's largest private coin collection outside of museum collections. There were coins from the Roman empire, gold Brasher doubloons, all kinds of crazy stuff. Sotheby's sold the "dregs" of the collection in the early 80's for $10 million, which was 10% of the entire collection and just the leftovers basically.

The kicker is that he lived in the penthouse above the brewery and stashed 100's of thousands of rare coins in envelopes up there.
Now it's just a parking lot of a furniture store. :mellow:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:42:13 AM by emerge »