search

Author Topic: Birmingham?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
Birmingham?
« on: January 03, 2012, 03:25:15 PM »
The family is going to the Lego BrickFair in a couple weeks in Birmingham, so I am looking for advice on places I can get decent beer while on the trip.

I know the J Clyde is highly thought of, but looking at their menu, it does not scream out family friendly to me.  My oldest is about as picky as they come, and if they do not have chicken fingers and fries for him, it is pretty much a no go.  The menus on their website look rather small and specific.  Why is there a separate pub and dinner menu?  Is the bar part separate from the restaurant or something?

Are there any other things in Birmingham I should check out?  I know Good People just opened their tasting room, but I am not sure I will have a chance to get there on this short trip.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
Re: Birmingham?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »
Gilly recommended the Highland Package Store when I was passing through.  Prepare to feel sorry for him ;D

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »
Gilly recommended the Highland Package Store when I was passing through.  Prepare to feel sorry for him ;D

Not looking to buy anything to take home really unless I knew of a really good ghetto growler option maybe :)

Offline everetends

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »
The J. Clyde is family friendly if you show up early.  The majority of their dining area is outside on the patio and that can get cold this time of year, but they do have heaters out there.  The pub area is small but does have a few tables but they fill up quickly especially in the winter. 

As far as menus, Pub Menu is available anytime they are open and the dinner menu is only available from like 5 pm to 10 pm or so.  Pub menu has more of the burgers, chicken fingers and more kid friendly options.  The only real difference in the menus is the level of difficulty of the items and I imagine how many people they have in the kitchen. 

Avondale and Good People are open, but I think Avondale is only open on select days.  Hop City is opening soon, but not exactly sure when.  Highland is incredibly unorganized but is your best bet for a ghetto growler.  Good People Snakehandler should be hitting cans any day now btw. 
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:54:41 PM »
I wouldn't go to J.Clyde if I were in a hurry or on a tight schedule, the service is often lacking, but if you are willing to just relax and let things happen, it probably is the best choice.  There is a place that is adding taps to compete called "Rogue Tavern," but they aren't there yet.

Ding was in Birmingham last week, and here is the mini review he left on my FB page in a thread where he asked me for advice:

Dee's is pretty much a dump; Vulcan was very friendly but dirty and frankly a bit of a dump, too. Highland was cleaner, seemed to have just as much beer as Vulcan and struck me as being much 'nicer' all around. Fewer taps for growlers but q...uality is the key, not quantity. Birmingham won't know what's hit it when Hop City arrives.

Really enjoyed Good People, but the J. Clyde was a dreadful disappointment. Got ushered onto the rear patio where smoking is allowed and the plastic furniture and dire food capped a tremendously anti-climatic experience. Also went the the Rogue Tavern which was devoid of atmosphere but incredibly cheap. Birmingham is in desperate need of better drinking venues - desperate. But you probably knew that!

Of course, my short answer is, leave the family in Birmingham, come to Huntsville.  :thumbup:
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:14:06 AM »
We won't be in a big hurry on the night we are there.  In fact, I am sure we will be there during the time when only old folks will be eating.  The BrickFair goes to 4 and I am guessing we will leave from there and go to dinner.  My only concern is that it will be Saturday so it might be busier than usual.

I would love to just hang out in Huntsville, but I have to do the family thing too.  It should be cool to check out all the Lego stuff anyway.

Is Highland open on Sunday?

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:46:30 AM »
We won't be in a big hurry on the night we are there.  In fact, I am sure we will be there during the time when only old folks will be eating.  The BrickFair goes to 4 and I am guessing we will leave from there and go to dinner.  My only concern is that it will be Saturday so it might be busier than usual.

I would love to just hang out in Huntsville, but I have to do the family thing too.  It should be cool to check out all the Lego stuff anyway.

Is Highland open on Sunday?
Highland and The J. Clyde are both open on Sundays.  The J. Clyde does a Good People cask every Sunday for Tornado Relief.  It is usually very laid back and mostly just a handful of regulars, pub menu only.  Don't buy any Good People cans at Highland unless it happens to be Snakehandler.  I was there a month ago and the GP IPA cans I got have to be almost a year old.  There is not a trace of hops left in those cans.  They are just a sticky sweet mess.   

As far as The J. Clyde,  I will agree on service being very lacking.  If they are busy, your food is going to take a while.  PERIOD.  In my experience, the servers are usually on point with getting you drinks but food is a crap shoot on time.  I will say that I haven't had a bad meal at The J. Clyde either, so I don't know what Ding was eating.  If you go around 4, that's early and it shouldn't be busy by then at all.  Can't comment on Ding's experience with "plastic furniture" because there is typically metal outdoor chairs out there but they might have went to plastic since it has gotten colder.   :shrug:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »
Heading down to Bama around the 14th of July.  Can't wait for sexy time with Gilly :banana:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »
Heading down to Bama around the 14th of July.  Can't wait for sexy time with Gilly :banana:

:o:

Is this a trip for work that can't be moved?  Wish it lined up with when brac was going to be here too.  Not sure if I can swing a trip to Alabama too so close to that  :cry:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »

Is this a trip for work that can't be moved?  Wish it lined up with when brac was going to be here too.  Not sure if I can swing a trip to Alabama too so close to that  :cry:

Can't be moved  :(

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 12:58:25 PM »

:damnpc:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 02:54:04 PM »

Donnie, make it happen.  SHITS GOING TO GET CRAZY!   :pickle:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »

Geez Donnie, its only a couple of hours away...

Since you started this thread in January, The Avondale taproom has opened, really nice place, with what I am told is the best barbecue in B'ham 2-3 doors down (they were out of food for the day the only time I've been)

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 05:04:20 PM »

Since you started this thread in January, The Avondale taproom has opened, really nice place, with what I am told is the best barbecue in B'ham 2-3 doors down (they were out of food for the day the only time I've been)
Jedi, looks like Cam and I will do Birmingham on Friday night when he flies in.  Avondale, Good People, maybe Cahaba if I can get Eric and the guys to let us hang at the taproom, and somewhere for dinner.

We might come up to Huntsville on Saturday to hang out with you, but you won't answer a text message to let me know if you will be in the state that weekend.   <_<  Maybe we will just got to Atlanta instead. 

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »

Jedi, looks like Cam and I will do Birmingham on Friday night when he flies in.  Avondale, Good People, maybe Cahaba if I can get Eric and the guys to let us hang at the taproom, and somewhere for dinner.

We might come up to Huntsville on Saturday to hang out with you, but you won't answer a text message to let me know if you will be in the state that weekend.   <_<  Maybe we will just got to Atlanta instead.

TBS members from Atlanta respond to their text messages.... just saying....

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »
If anyone wants something from up here let me know.  I'll try to pack a few bottles in the suitcase.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »
If anyone wants something from up here let me know.  I'll try to pack a few bottles in the suitcase.

FUNKWERKS.  LOTS OF FUNKWERKS.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »

TBS members from Atlanta respond to their text messages.... just saying....
damn... he just sent it an hour or two ago... I think within 6 hours is a reasonable response time... I'm actually better with email ;-D

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »

orly?  I might be able to find something.  Gonna test out the Fruition tonight and will report back.  I have some Roselle, Brett Dream, Danny's Goldmine, and Surette in the cellar too. 

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »

orly?  I might be able to find something.  Gonna test out the Fruition tonight and will report back.  I have some Roselle, Brett Dream, Danny's Goldmine, and Surette in the cellar too.
You can bring all of that.   :coffee:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 05:14:10 PM »
And I'm rescheduling...... <_<

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 05:25:04 PM »
And I'm rescheduling...... <_<

:hack: :hack: :hack:

I knew there was no shot to hang out with you guys if it was the weekend before brac's visit. 

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »
Looking possibly like the first 2nd week in August

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »

You realize that the Great Taste weekend is August 10-12, right?

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 05:44:23 PM »

oh, for christ sake!

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »

oh, for christ sake!
And the hottest part of a Southern summer.  We may die.   :unsure:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »

oh, for christ sake!

Yeah, you are required to go to GT now that you've said you want one of my tickets.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:19 PM »

oh, for christ sake!

Yeah, you are required to go to GT now that you've said you want one of my tickets.

He also already paid his part of our shared hotel room with Bill

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »
New date on this August 24-26

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 05:25:59 PM »

My birthday weekend.  Not sure how well it will go over with the wife if I ask to bail on that day.  Oh well, doesn't mean I won't ask.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 05:30:01 PM »

My birthday weekend.  Not sure how well it will go over with the wife if I ask to bail on that day.  Oh well, doesn't mean I won't ask.
Let us know, big sexy. 

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »

Who's birthday is it anyway?  hers? sheesh   :lol:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »

I know.  She is all about spending family time on birthdays.  Ironically, she gets extremely pissed off when my parents ask me what I want and do not get what I tell them.  You would think the two things would essentially be the same, but logic does not always (read as never) apply with her.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »

I know.  She is all about spending family time on birthdays.  Ironically, she gets extremely pissed off when my parents ask me what I want and do not get what I tell them.  You would think the two things would essentially be the same, but logic does not always (read as never) apply with her.
Women + logic =    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »
 :pickle:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 05:11:54 PM »
:banana:

If anyone is interested in coming down on Friday, Cam will get a crash course in Birmingham beer.  Straight from the airport we will hit Good People, Avondale, J Clyde for dinner and beers, Highland for drinking growlers for the weekend, then Cahaba Brewing (if they are open) on the way out of town. 

Saturday will be Cam's choose your own adventure day . . . if he's alive.   :unsure:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »

If anyone is interested in coming down on Friday, Cam will get a crash course in Birmingham beer.  Straight from the airport we will hit Good People, Avondale, J Clyde for dinner and beers, Highland for drinking growlers for the weekend, then Cahaba Brewing (if they are open) on the way out of town. 

Saturday will be Cam's choose your own adventure day . . . if he's alive.   :unsure:

Was hoping I could make it over, but it is just not going to happen this week :kickrock:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »

Was hoping I could make it over, but it is just not going to happen this week :kickrock:
:slap:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 05:57:40 PM »

I know, if there was ever a weekend I could use a distraction like this, it is this one.  Problem is, same thing I need a break from is what causes me not to be able to go.   :(

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »

I know, if there was ever a weekend I could use a distraction like this, it is this one.  Problem is, same thing I need a break from is what causes me not to be able to go.   :(
Understood, good buddy.  You will be missed but we will work out a drinking day sometime soon.   :cheers:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 07:24:32 PM »

:excited:

What are our options Saturday?

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 07:37:07 PM »

1. Any combo of the following: Stay local, hang out at my place, hit local spots, drink out of my fridge, hit some restaurants, hiking, etc

2.  Take the two hour drive north to Huntsville for more drinkin'.

3.  Head east to Atlanta for the same.

4.  Kitten pile. 

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »

1. Any combo of the following: Stay local, hang out at my place, hit local spots, drink out of my fridge, hit some restaurants, hiking, etc

4.  Kitten pile.

Probably 1 and 4.  I'm sick of traveling.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »

4.  Kitten pile.

fine be that way.... didn't really want to see you guys anyway   <_<

If you do come to Huntsville, simply get a hotel room where we can drink and I'll provide the beer...

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 08:15:36 AM »

4.  Kitten pile.

fine be that way.... didn't really want to see you guys anyway   <_<

If you do come to Huntsville, simply get a hotel room where we can drink and I'll provide the beer...

I thought you were out of beer.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:08:33 PM by Swabs »

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 02:24:56 PM »

Already doing swag research? 

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG