What's better than encased meat wrapped in bacon and topped with more meat? Not much. There are about 100 different versions of this monstrosity on the web and I put together my own topped with Chimichirri Mayo.
*DISCLAIMER* Like many chefs I never measure while I cook. These are fairly accurate guesses. YMMV
8 Hot Dogs (Good ones- not the cheap crap)
8 strips bacon
8 larger hot dog buns
2 Yellow Onions- small dice
1/2# Cojita Cheese (or Queso Blanco) crumbled
1 Tomato- Small Dice
5 cloves Garlic
1 Lime, juiced
2 cups Mayonaisse
Salt and Pepper
- The day before wrap hot dogs with the bacon covering as much of the dog as you can. Pull the bacon tightly and leave refrigerated overnight. I found this helps the bacon stay on better during cooking.
- Chop half the cilantro, jalapeno, garlic and lime juice in food processor until a paste. Add to mayo
- Cook onions in a pan with butter or oil until browned
- Brown Chorizo
- Bake hot dogs at 350 for 10 minutes or until bacon is almost fully cooked. Finish in pan or on griddle to get the bacon crispy
- Split the bun, add your dog and top with chorizo, onion, cheese, tomato, chopped cilantro and mayo
A lot of recipes called for mustard but I felt it didn't need it.